Buy new OTA antenna or wait for new satellites?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

swacksman

Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a new outdoor antenna for local HD reception, or wait for D* to launch their new satellites. I'm located in Cincinnati, so I have no idea when local HD is expected via satellite. Right now my setup is twofold. I have rabbit ears that generally pick up 2 of my locals, and on my roof I have a "Stealth" antenna that I was talked into that for the most part will pick up 2 others. I have an A/B switch sitting on the TV, so I do have to get up and change it from time to time. Most of the time it works, but occassionally weather conditions make it difficult to get a constant strong signal. Sometimes it just doesn't work. So I went to Radio Shack over the weekend, thinking I'd get rid of the Stealth and get a real directional rooftop antenna. The cost for the antenna and installation, not including a preamp, is about $300. The preamp is $60. I'm not sure whether or not I really need it. According to antennaweb.org, I do, but based on my experience with the Stealth and rabbit ears, I kind of doubt it. Either way, it's still a good chunk of change, and if D* is about to offer locals in my area in HD, it would be a waste of money. But if they are 2 years away, I may do it. What do you all think? Thanks.

$300 was for the antenna and for someone to come and do a full install from Radio Shack.

Where is Kansas City in the list? How long do you guys think it will take to get HD Locals via D* in KC?

Greg

Well that is great advice if you happen to live in downtown Denver in my case I have a huge antenna and preamp and get one channel full time and NBC part time, forget cbs,abc.

I live 47 miles from the transmitters that are over a hill. The plan is maybe 2 years before towers would go up. So no HD on networks for a while without LIL.

My mother is even worse where she is in a white area for digital being the nearest city with digital TV is at least 200 miles away. The bottom line is it depends are where you are and telling someone to get antenna as the solution for OTA digital is just wrong.

swacksman said:
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a new outdoor antenna for local HD reception, or wait for D* to launch their new satellites. I'm located in Cincinnati, so I have no idea when local HD is expected via satellite. Right now my setup is twofold. I have rabbit ears that generally pick up 2 of my locals, and on my roof I have a "Stealth" antenna that I was talked into that for the most part will pick up 2 others. I have an A/B switch sitting on the TV, so I do have to get up and change it from time to time. Most of the time it works, but occassionally weather conditions make it difficult to get a constant strong signal. Sometimes it just doesn't work. So I went to Radio Shack over the weekend, thinking I'd get rid of the Stealth and get a real directional rooftop antenna. The cost for the antenna and installation, not including a preamp, is about $300. The preamp is $60. I'm not sure whether or not I really need it. According to antennaweb.org, I do, but based on my experience with the Stealth and rabbit ears, I kind of doubt it. Either way, it's still a good chunk of change, and if D* is about to offer locals in my area in HD, it would be a waste of money. But if they are 2 years away, I may do it. What do you all think? Thanks.

Swacksman - I agree with everyone else, 2 years for us in Cincinnati till HD, and the OTA PQ is going to be a lot better that D*'s.

Being in the Bakersfield market, which is, I believe, well down the
list. I am in an area that an OTA antenna will only pick up snow.

It may be best to "move" back to LA.

I bought the cheapest channel master rooftop antenna at home depot with a 5 foot mast for 35 bucks...Its in my attic now...Works great.

300 bucks?!? they are smoking crack. Best Buy told me 200 for the install, and that's ridiculous...I did it myself.

swackman,

I'm in Loveland OH. I had tnt pictures install an antenna for around $200 including the antenna. they did it on a cold snowy day. even if d* comes through soon, I'm not keen on $10 a month (at least until football season).

Also, the installer wanted to pop a hole through my wall for the cable from the antenna. Since I already had a dish mounted antenna running through the diplexer, I had him try that first so I could have signal on all the tvs in the house. No problems now. I get all the cincinnati stations. I did not opt for the rotator that would point me to dayton.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)