Buying a VIP 722k DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

netdecal

Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Grand Junction CO
Looking for advise: I've been a DISH customer for 5 years. Currently I pay for "locals", DVR Service Fee, and a Receiver Lease (625 DVR). I would like to upgrade to a 722k but my only option thru DISH is a 24 month commitment to a package I don't need or want. If I buy my own 722k DVR (from a reputable EBAY dealer) I will need an installer to come and upgrade my antenna to a DISH 1000 and hook up the 722k. Will DISH allow me to purchase their service contract ($6/month) to reduce the service call from $95 to $15? And will that cover anything that might go wrong with my 722k?
My current DVR Service Fee is $5.98 but I've heard that they have rounded that to $6 - is that correct? Some threads seem to hint that Dual receivers might be charged more??

I submitted these questions thru the Dish website two days ago and still no response

AFAIK, you can still get the service plan, but will also get a $25 fee if you cancel it.

I believe it was stated in another thread that the $25 fee is only if you cancel within 30 days. Even if they did hit someone with the fee it would still be less than the difference between $15 and $95.

Service plan covers all Dish equipment whether leased or purchased. For example, I have had a replacement DPP44 switch sent to me to replace an owned one--and I still own this replacement.

The Dish Home Protection Plan (DHPP) would not cover them coming out and hooking up equipment you decided to purchase elsewhere. You could however purchase all the equipment and call for an Existing Customer Installation that starts at $99.00 and then $59.00 each add'l hour after that. Once everything has been professionally installed, you'd still have a warranty on the work, 1 year warr. on any brand new equipment and then later the DHPP would cover equipment replacement or discounted service calls. Your way without could get expensive very quickly but, you would be without a contract.

Looking for advise: I've been a DISH customer for 5 years. Currently I pay for "locals", DVR Service Fee, and a Receiver Lease (625 DVR). I would like to upgrade to a 722k but my only option thru DISH is a 24 month commitment to a package I don't need or want. If I buy my own 722k DVR (from a reputable EBAY dealer) I will need an installer to come and upgrade my antenna to a DISH 1000 and hook up the 722k. Will DISH allow me to purchase their service contract ($6/month) to reduce the service call from $95 to $15? And will that cover anything that might go wrong with my 722k?
My current DVR Service Fee is $5.98 but I've heard that they have rounded that to $6 - is that correct? Some threads seem to hint that Dual receivers might be charged more??

I submitted these questions thru the Dish website two days ago and still no response

What is wrong with the 625??? If you don't want HD there is no reason to get a 722. Both are "DuoDVR" receivers and as such are charged exactly the same.

BTW, if you only have one receiver now there are no receiver fees except for the account-level DVR fee. You should not be paying a lease fee whatsoever.

The 625 has served us well but we just bought an HD LCD and I am looking to get the HD local stations for shows on FOX, NBC, CBS, and ABC. With the 722k having an OTA add-on, I am curious how difficult it would be to use the DVR without the Dish Guide

The 625 has served us well but we just bought an HD LCD and I am looking to get the HD local stations for shows on FOX, NBC, CBS, and ABC. With the 722k having an OTA add-on, I am curious how difficult it would be to use the DVR without the Dish Guide
No worries. The OTA will show in the guide.

yeah to get the OTA guide data you MUST sub to locals, and at least all new subs dont haver a choice locals are included with all current packages.

sears sells the DTV pal DVR, another choice for recording OTA TV.

time based recording but it works well for me at least, on a secondary tv

if you buy a 722 get the K with OTA module.

It will record 2 sat channels AND 2 OTA channels at the same time:)

Hrm.

Not sure what the deal is, but via chat and by calling dish directly, I've been told that I can't get a vip 722k. Or a 722. They say that they can't guarantee what would be delivered. They said it could even be another 622.

They told me that I could try going to a retailer like century link, formerly embarq, formerly sprint (they suck, so they keep changing names).

I'd love to get a 722k for the price they told me (100 bones) but they can't guarantee anything.

Am I missing something here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)