Buying out of market locals

steve from yellowstone

Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Bloomington, IN
I'm sure this topic has been brought up many times, but I wasn't able to find an answer by doing a search.

I'm looking at a move from Bloomington (which receives Indy locals) to the Evansville, or Terre Haute region. When I do that will I be able to purchase an Indy station or two, if so at what price, and would I be able to get the HD feed of those as well.

Thanks in advance for the info!

DISH is prohibited from offering out-of-market locals unless they are considered "Superstations".

DIRECTV can offer NY or LA as regionally appropriate if you get waivers from your local stations.

OK dumb question - why WOULD you want Evansville or especially, Terre Haute locals???
I assume you know that the Terre Haute locals do NOT include an ABC station.
Most people would be trying to move TO get Indy locals... :confused:

Terre Haute will be within the Indy spotbeam so if you move, don't tell E*. :) Evansville will also be within the same beam although at the edge. The Champaign-Decatur-Springfield, IL HD locals are also on that spotbeam. Evansville and Terre Haute are also within the St. Louis spot beam for 129W.

I do not want Evansville or Terre Haute locals... thus I was asking about purchasing the Indy locals (and in HD).

I need to move a few miles in order to be in the Cardinals "Home Territory". Even though the games aren't blacked out for my neighbor (Bloomington) or sister in Indy (Both with D and no, neither have the extra inning package.)

The FS Midwest website said that some providers were choosing not to air the games to all subscribers!

To be in the home territory I will have to be either in the Terre Haute or Evansville region.

So does that mean if I do "move" I can choose between the two (Indy vs. other)? Or do the government regs state that you can only get certain ones in certain areas??

Local TV markets (DMA's) are assigned based on county lines - you can ONLY get the DMA assigned to your address...
If you have to choose between Evansville or Terre Haute, definitely go with an address in the Evansville DMA...

I appreciate all of the help everyone has provided.

OK, I think I found an area to "move" to but my next question would be, what are the logistics behind a "move"? What do they need me to do, or what do I need to know about?

Also, it has the listing as FSN - Midwest Satellite Feed, on E's website, not just FSNMW Does that mean I won't ever have an HD feed to go along with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)