Buying receivers without cards?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I have a guy on craigslist selling a 722, 612, and 211. Checked and they are all free of balance. However, they do not have cards...he said Dish will send cards once you activate.

I was under the impression Dish charges for replacement cards like this?

If the S# starts S19 then they are purple cards and you are fine....no new card needed

Some of the receivers have the card built in (yes even the purple one)

Otherwise yeah its 50 bucks for the card and 14.95 to ship it :eek:

Thanks...thought so. I'm going to ask for the smartcard numbers and check with Dish if they are current. If not, I'll still make a fair offer...but that fair offer won't be very much.

I bought a 722K with a imbeded obsolete card, they sent me a purple card for free. Perhaps it my 120 buck a month bill I do not know.

you may not have to buy replacement cards:)

Those 3 receivers have on board cards, they maybe old S00#s rather than S19 new numbers. Have you checked that they aren't leased receivers? You say they have no balanced owed on them but did you actually check for ownership?

Get both the S# and the R# off the receivers and call Dish, they can tell you the status of the receivers and if the internal cards are NAGRA2 or NAGRA3.

I suggest using CHAT so you have a copy of the conversation.

Promises over the phone are hard to verify.

I have a guy on craigslist selling a 722, 612, and 211. Checked and they are all free of balance. However, they do not have cards...he said Dish will send cards once you activate.

I was under the impression Dish charges for replacement cards like this?
Don't do it!!!! Not without verifying the account to which these receivers are tied. Not without verifying their status( Leased or owned) and get this all in writing. DO NOT trust the words of a CSR on the phone. Impossible to verify if there is a problem.

CSR's have told me wrong and more than once. Best to contact them two or three times to get a confirmation of what the last ones told you.

CSR's have told me wrong and more than once. Best to contact them two or three times to get a confirmation of what the last ones told you.

As a dealer I can agree 100%

Its literally a different ansewer everytime, and if they give you the wrong ansewer there is no recourse.

As far as the cards, its literally the same issue. Sometimes they will provide the new card for free, other times they want to charge you. Buy the receiver on the basis that you will have to buy a new card, and if they don't charge you then consider it a bonus.

I have bought several used receivers off ebay. Verify the r00 and smartcard number with chat, and print that chat off after completed. One needed the smart card, and they sent me one. One other had no card, and didn't need one. Others had good cards in them.

Don't pay too much, this forum site supporters have good prices on brand new receivers. I see them priced way to high on ebay most of the time.

I do not understand why they charge sometimes and other times they do not. Should one keep trying to contact them until they will not charge for them? Is that the only workaround?

If we purchase a receiver as of today, we no longer can get the monthly duel receiver fee waive? Yes or no???

Fees are the same whether you own the receiver or lease it.

This is the reason most regard leasing as the better option.

Primary receiver fees are included in your monthly programming subscription, after the first receiver there is a fee of $7-$19 per receiver depending on what type it is.

Possible resale value. i.e.- not much.
Oh- and no contract, other factors permitting.

That you can resell the receiver when you are done using it, no $15 receiver return fee, you can turn the receiver off and back on at will without contract and without having to wait for someone to install the equipment for you again.

What benefit is there for purchasing your own receiver? I can't think of one. What am I missing?

As a 12 year subscriber to Dish and all owned equipment, I consider this as leverage. A customer not in a contract has options. A customer with a contract in force has limited options. Unless of course that customer wishes to pay the early termination fees.
When I decide to upgrade to HD .I will buy my Equipment and install it myself.