This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Buzz receiver and AC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dogstar1313

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Tennessee
After reading Iceberg's review of the Buzz S2010F I'm a wee bit confused (but hey, that's not new)

The review was great, but I have one point of confusion about AC3 audio. Ice states in the review that the Buzz can't do AC3, but the receiver specifications say that it has an optical output for Dolby Digital AC3 bitstream.

I have an opportunity to snag one of these fairly cheap so I thought it might make a good second receiver. I like to watch the PBS channels on AMC3 quite a lot so AC3 is a must have feature for me.

Can anyone clarify whether the AC3 really works on the Buzz?

it doesn't. I can verify this

yes it has a digital output but it just outputs regular audio. AC-3 channels show up as 0 as audio PID and don't output AC-3

I had a KUSAT 2600 that had that too (with same results)

I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll continue to be a one TV kinda guy for a while longer.

Thanks for the clarification Iceberg.

I just tried it. Hookd up the Buzz and turnd on AMC3. Brought up the PBS and all you hear is "blip" through the audio receiver (yes the audio receiver decodes AC-3 as I use it with my Coolsat)

Status
Please reply by conversation.