Bye bye Dish. Hello Internet

Gorbash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Fayetteville, Texas
Had to pull the plug on Dish Network this week. Rising costs and dwindling work certain luxuries had to go. I was still under 20 months of a 24 month contract, but the CSR waved the fee because of my good standing.

I ran a DVI to HDMI and toslink cable from my Vista PC to my TV and surround sound system, and watch Hulu and TV.com in decent enough quality (don't think 480p counts as HD, but it's good enough). Along with the preamp I got from Antenna Web locals come in clearer than ever before.

It will be interesting to see how the interenet TV market shapes up in the coming years and I'll be right there on the front line.

Just renewed my Pub Subscription as well. :D

Our household is contemplating the same change. Our dish bill with HD and the top 200 is almost $90 a month--too much for TV.

Brad

Tidal is nice for watching on a computer up close. But up on the TV it doesn't work, for now.

I've used Hulu before, but never this extensively. They have a ton of shows available to stream, if you could weigh digital pixels, it'd weigh a lot. Lots of classic TV and a bunch of current TV. CBS and ABC are notably absent from Hulu. CBS has TV.com, and it works just like Hulu, but I've found the buffering is markedly worse (at least on my current connection). ABC has their own streaming as well, and while the only shows I watch from them are Lost, Scrubs and Life on Mars, only Lost is offered in the "HD" format, but with my OTA antenna and HTPC I can record ABC and CBS or torrent an episode, or just wait for the DVDs.

Add in all the independent Internet programs from Revision3 and vidcasts on iTunes I'm never without something to watch. I've even discovered a show or two. Most notably "Legend of the Seeker." Never read the books, but now I am adding them to my reading mountain based on this Disney series.

Hey Gorbash have you tried Veoh? It's not bad, streams lots of Hulu but I like it also. Sorry to hear about your tough times with the finances, I hope all bounces back for you quickly. Have a good one.....

I have used Veoh, it works great, though a bit bloated. With Vista Media Center there is a new plugin called SecondRun.TV (also it's url) that streams most all of the online media, with more being added all the time. It doesn't work like Boxee did pullig the flash file and using its own setup to play it, it opens up a web browser and streams the media that way effectivley keeping the media in the browser like Hulu and its content providors want.

I also use TVersity to stream media to either my 360 or PS3 that isn't nativly supported by Media Center.

I have a second job on the line that'll hopefully open up and I'll get my finances back in line, being a small business owner right now is tough.

Netflix ($9 a month) plus a Roku bo:mad:$100) works very well also. Tons of stuff to watch! Plus you still get the 1 DVD in the mail at a time.

Internet TV may be 'free' now.

BUT, eventually it's gonna cost you. (along with internet tv tax)

fred
(FREE!!!!........aahhhhhh, I remember my Chapparel and 10 ft dish!!!)

Digi, I do have Netflix, the 3 at a time plus the BluRay fee. Don't have a Roku, I have a 360, plus a Vista Media Center plug-in. I've saved thousands being able to rent again.

I know there is no way this free internet streaming will last forever, people learn to charge for and tax everything one way or another. But for now enjoy the ride.

Tidal is nice for watching on a computer up close. But up on the TV it doesn't work, for now.

I messed with it last night on a friends tv (42" lcd) and I was fairly impressed. It wasn't very clear, however, how to get it 'full screen'. When viewing the guide + video mode, there are 6 small round buttons under the video. When you click the last one, 4 more buttons stack up on top of it. Click the top one and it brings it up full screen, similar to what hulu can do. Maybe I got lucky, but I was pretty impressed with the picture (considering it is free).

It may be to not have to pay the monthly dish bill. But, I know that for convenience sake I will probably never cancel (maybe only downgrade) my Dish. I have to make sure that the children, wife and mother-in-law can all watch TV easily and conveniently. I may have no problem using the internet to watch TV, but the other not so technical and set in their way persons in my household would probably revolt if we went that route.

I just got the samsung blue-ray player with the Netflix streaming and it works great. The picture quality is a little better than when I hooked the laptop up with the vga cable. Of course its a crappy laptop. ;)

If you decide to go this netflix streaming route, check the available titles first. They have enough history channel and old movies that I like so it works out, but it may not meet everyones needs quite yet.

Had to pull the plug on Dish Network this week. Rising costs and dwindling work certain luxuries had to go. I was still under 20 months of a 24 month contract, but the CSR waved the fee because of my good standing.

I ran a DVI to HDMI and toslink cable from my Vista PC to my TV and surround sound system, and watch Hulu and TV.com in decent enough quality (don't think 480p counts as HD, but it's good enough). Along with the preamp I got from Antenna Web locals come in clearer than ever before.

It will be interesting to see how the interenet TV market shapes up in the coming years and I'll be right there on the front line.

Just renewed my Pub Subscription as well. :D

Congratulations. :up
You are the first person to post they are leaving DISH without everyone telling you to LET THE DOOR hit you in the @$$ on the way out.

The xbox live membership combined with the netflix client should keep you busy if not, here's a link you may find of use.
How to automatically download and import HD to Windows Media Center - Engadget HD

Holy crap that is an awesome guide. I'm gonna set it up right now. Thanks. Have to do it for BSG as Hulu would make me wait 8 days. Yeah, I'm not waiting that long.
I haven't set it up myself but I think the big "got ya" for now is it has to be Windows 7 because of the 264x support. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)