bye bye disney?

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
as reported in the bhn forum, disney's contract expires with time warner sept 2 and they are threatening to pull channels because they want a substantial increase in their next contract. let me remind you that this also means all the espn channels too.

disney has already pulled 4 hd channels from dish network as a result of a contract dispute so the threat is very real. this is very similar to the fox situation in late december.

disney has already pulled 4 hd channels from dish network as a result of a contract dispute so the threat is very real. this is very similar to the fox situation in late december.

It sorta reminds you of the CBS channels that were pulled a couple years back, and TWC was supplying OTA rabbit ears for their subs, so they could get their Buffalo Bills Games. If ESPN and company are pulled I won't hesitate to move over to DTV.

Islandguy43 said:
It sorta reminds you of the CBS channels that were pulled a couple years back, and TWC was supplying OTA rabbit ears for their subs, so they could get their Buffalo Bills Games. If ESPN and company are pulled I won't hesitate to move over to DTV.

That seems rather short-sighted to me. If everyone did the same Disney will always win and everyone's TV prices will go up. It seems like it'd be worth figuring out who is at "fault" and acting based on that, rather than automatically siding with the content provider by switching to get the channels.

That seems rather short-sighted to me. If everyone did the same Disney will always win and everyone's TV prices will go up. It seems like it'd be worth figuring out who is at "fault" and acting based on that, rather than automatically siding with the content provider by switching to get the channels.

That would be basically the topper. TWC refusal to carry the NFL Network adds to the situation, plus the limited amount of NHLCI games in HD. If ESPN goes, I will just jump over to Directv.

don't know when disney's contract with dtv expires but you gotta figure they will pull the same thing since they have pulled 4 of their hd channels from dish network.

I would imagine these carrier disputes with Disney/ESPN will be settled in the next couple weeks. In reality, can Disney really afford not to have the advertising revenue from their ESPN Channels and/or their PPV ESPN Game Plan, missing from the 2nd largest cable provider and the 2nd largest DBS provider. That would cause 25-30 million households to be without their programing. I assume their existing advertisers and/or sponsors of ESPN programing would be looking for a rebate on their fees they have or will pay.

I would imagine these carrier disputes with Disney/ESPN will be settled in the next couple weeks. In reality, can Disney really afford not to have the advertising revenue from their ESPN Channels and/or their PPV ESPN Game Plan, missing from the 2nd largest cable provider and the 2nd largest DBS provider. That would cause 25-30 million households to be without their programing. I assume their existing advertisers and/or sponsors of ESPN programing would be looking for a rebate on their fees they have or will pay.

It's (TWC/Disney carriage dispute) getting nastier. At least here in Raleigh/Durham (where the local ABC affiliate is owned by Disney). The TV spots have gone from "you have choices" to "switch now-- it's becoming more likely that you will lose your favorite ABC and ESPN channels on Sept. 2nd". I know that it (and TWC's similar ads and Internet site) is mostly posturing-- but, Time Warner has to know that people are sick of this (many still have the Fox threats of 8 months ago fresh in their memory)-- and are jumping ship. If they even care.

It's sort of like sports strikes/lock-outs. Even though both sides are filthy rich and are responsible for the impasse-- the players are almost always painted as the bad guys. In this scenario-- TWC is/are the players, and Disney is/are the owners.

Looking through message boards, article comments, etc. ... I'd estimate that it's 10 to 1 against TWC. Not scientific, just an estimate. And, the small number who back TWC (ex. "I hate ESPN anyway")-- change their tune when they realize (in many markets) their beloved ABC entertainment programming (Dancing w/ the Stars, etc.) is on the chopping block.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I suspect it'll go to the 11th hour. But, in TWC's case, they would be wise to follow Comcast's lead (ex. recent 10 yr renewal w/ CBS) to resolve it ASAP. Do I expect that? Nope.

And, don't get me started on the TWC/NFL Network impasse. It's frickin' embaressing that TWC is the ONLY one of the top 5 cable/satellite providers to not have an agreement with the NFL for NFLN and/or Red Zone. We all know the issue(s) there-- basically Greed vs. Greed. To me that's no excuse (for TWC). Notice that Cox, Comcast, DirectTV, et al (with some exceptions) don't have these problems. All of them certainly have had (and will have) contentious negotiations with content providers-- but, do they put their customers in this position over and over again?

It is a no-win. No matter who you blame, this posturing just means higher prices and bigger profits for all involved at the cost of the consumer.

This "youse can have the pool table, but youse godda take the jukebox too, and at our price" attitude really should rate a RICO investigation.

Perhaps the way to fix them all and pay the freight and get a starchoice hd satellite setup. They seem to get more american content programing than we can and we live here.

If the companies would come together then they could fight these price increases and all drop the company that wants big price increases. Otherwise they are going to keep getting away with it.

Just received the following e-mail from Time Warner:

[FONT=&quot]To Our Valued Customers...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Time Warner Cable is always negotiating new deals with TV networks. Recently, we reached a new long-term agreement with Disney/ABC and ESPN, so you can continue to watch your favorite channels and the shows you love for years to come.

There will be no interruption of ESPN or Disney channels, as well as WABC in New York, KABC in Los Angeles, WTVD in Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville and WTVG in Toledo. They'll stay right here on Time Warner Cable. In fact, our agreement means more networks and services for you, including the following*:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Disney Junior[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - a new 24-hour basic channel for preschool-age children, parents and caregivers launching in 2012.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ESPN3.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - ESPN's live sports broadband network will be available to all Time Warner Cable subscribers who get ESPN.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A New ESPN Service[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - customers will be able to view ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU through broadband and mobile Internet devices.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ESPN Goal Line[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - a college football super-highlight channel will be available only to Time Warner Cable’s Sports Pass customers starting as early as September 4, 2010.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ESPN Buzzer Beater[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - a college basketball service similar to ESPN Goal Line, will be available to Time Warner Cable’s Sports Pass customers for college basketball season.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Expanded Video On Demand Services[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - including ABC On Demand, Disney-branded On Demand offerings for kids, local sports content in select markets, plus the subscription Video On Demand service "Disney Family Movies".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Start Over and Look Back[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - featured on a variety of Disney Media Networks content.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ESPN Deportes[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - will be available to a larger Time Warner Cable footprint.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ESPN 3D[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
We will continue standing up for our customers when it comes to negotiations with TV programmers. To learn more about these negotiations and the cost of cable, please visit www.RollOverOrGetTough.com.

Thanks again for being a Time Warner Cable customer.[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts