Cable Internet and Dish, Is it Possible?

RW79

Original poster
May 28, 2006
Hi,
New to the forum and sorry if this has been asked before, I was having a problem with the search this morning.
My wife and I have a townhouse in NC. We currently have Time Warner Digital Cable and Roadrunner Cable Internet through them. We use Vonage for our telephone and looking at going to Packet8 soon. I injured my shoulder at work and I can not justify keeping the Digital Cable for 84.00/month for only two tvs, especially now that I am out on worker's comp indefinetly. Ugh!
My question concerns keeping both the Cable Internet and getting Dish. I have had Directv a few years back, but had dialup and it was no concern. I would prefer to keep the Cable Internet over getting DSL if possible (had some bad experiences a few years back.) Is it possible to do this? We do not even have a phone line in our living room where the box would be and I was not even sure if Dish required one like Direct did when I had it a few years back.
I was not sure if any of this was possible, or if I would have to just go to Bellsouth and get a basic line, DSL, and the Dish (still keeping the VOIP Phone though.) Any help with this or pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RW

Dish dual tuners require a phone line connection, without it its $5 a month extra on the bill. At $84 a month thats not bad for digital cable on 2 plus highspeed internet really, if you want to save money then downgrade to analog with no boxes and that should put your monthly bill close to $50 a month. Dish's cheapest package is $19.99 for 40 channels not including the locals and thats the family package.

Hi,
Thanks for the post. The 80.00 is just for the Cable TV, the internet is another 40.00 on top, and then the 29.99 for Vonage. It is around 150.00/month for everything. I figure I can save around 30+- or so a month with switching. They are talking about raising the rates again here in a few months. Just weighing my options and going to go from there. We have thought of just cutting back to basic cable, but we shall see. Thanks again for the reply.

Who is phone company that your part of NC? If it is sprint you can get a bundle deal with DSL,Unlimted Long Distance and Dish all on one bill with the sprint discount.

As to the OPs question, I have not had much luck diplexing incoming cable internet with the satellite feed. At least that's how I interpreted your original question. For whatever reason, the diplexing just does not do a good job of combining and then separating out the cable modem and satellite signals.

The cable company doesn't like it, but you can get just internet with no TV :)

You might just be better off calling Verizon, Bellsouth or At&T and seeing what type of offers they have for Phone and DSL.

For example, at the office I got SBC Yahoo! DSL for 1 year at $14.95 and then unlimited incoming and outgoing service for like $20.85 per month.

Now granted I don't have Caller ID, or any of the other fancy features with it that you would have with Vonage but it works great for what I use it for.

Even at my house I got just a basic business phone service for $20.85. I got 3 lines and we never use it to make outgoing calls

Thank you for the replies. I was not sure what it was called, but the diplexing sounds about right. Bellsouth is the only provider that I know of in the area. I am going to try and look at Sprint, but everytime I try their website is down. I live near Raleigh. I will also check out Yahoo. I had totally forgot about them. I would not mind giving DSL a try again. I just had some bad luck with it last time, but I was also not as close to a city and it was almost 6 years ago. Thanks for the replies.

1. You can often get a Cable modem without subscribing to TV, it just costs more.
2. Diplexing the signals probably won't work.
3. The recivers can dial in over Vonage. I do it with my 522. Don't know about Packet8.

DSL often isn't worth the trouble. If you had problems once, you will again. Especially with Bellsouth.

Don't know what the Diplexers can handle, but here's what my cable modem reports:

Downstream: 687000000 Hz Locked
Upstream: 30992000 Hz Ranged

Thanks,
I talked with a installer and they said that they could just drop a line from the sat. dish and install two new outlets and not mess with the cable tv wiring. If they can do that, it would solve the issue. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

RW

Hi RW,

TWC will let you keep your RR for $44.95 a month, no tv necessary. They do
offer a lifeline service for around $12 that gives you all of the locals and 1 or 2
supers. Sprint and Bellsouth dsl will cost more because of their rate structure,
to get anywhere near RR speed the cost goes up. Mention you are going to Dish
and TWC may dance for you on pricing :)

Bill

bhawley said:
Mention you are going to Dish
and TWC may dance for you on pricing :)

Bill

LOL!! And even more than that if you whine really really loudly. When I contracted for TWC, I actually had a customer get a...ready for this??...dozen roses!! All because she chose to stay with them instead of leaving to Dish or Direct.

no you can't diplex the cable line. the vonage is ok with a dual tuner you just need to put in prefix *99 in the phone setup screen. go from the vonage modem into the phone jack in the wall and it will send the signal to all phone jacks.

i disagree i have diplexed cable internet lines with my dish lines numerous times it DOES work. same way as diplexing an off air antennae.

hptsguy said:
i disagree i have diplexed cable internet lines with my dish lines numerous times it DOES work. same way as diplexing an off air antennae.
Right.

However, sometimes DNSGuy will be right. It just depends on the cable internet system - mainly the frequency of the return path. Also, the diplexers themselves have to be compatible.

SimpleSimon said:
Right.

However, sometimes DNSGuy will be right. It just depends on the cable internet system - mainly the frequency of the return path. Also, the diplexers themselves have to be compatible.

I have cable modem and Dish on the same line. I combined (with a duplexer) at the the cable box and then use a two-way splitter for Internet and SAT receiver. Just make sure you use the type of splitter that has different frequency cut offs. Match the frequency then it should be OK.

As Simon said...it all depends on the cable system. With the two major systems here in NE Ohio (Adelphia and Time Warner), I have yet to make it happen with cable modem and satellite signal on the same coax. Oddly enough, there is a smaller mom&pop outfit (Massillon Cable)that I have had luck with. Bottom line...your mileage may vary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)