Cable Internet and Dish, Is it Possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RW79

Original poster
May 28, 2006
#1 Send a pager message to RW79
Old Today, 09:00 AM

Cable Internet and Dish, Is it Possible?
Hi,
New to the forum and sorry if this has been asked before, I was having a problem with the search this morning.
My wife and I have a townhouse in NC. We currently have Time Warner Digital Cable and Roadrunner Cable Internet through them. We use Vonage for our telephone and looking at going to Packet8 soon. I injured my shoulder at work and I can not justify keeping the Digital Cable for 84.00/month for only two tvs, especially now that I am out on worker's comp indefinetly. Ugh!
My question concerns keeping both the Cable Internet and getting Dish. I have had Directv a few years back, but had dialup and it was no concern. I would prefer to keep the Cable Internet over getting DSL if possible (had some bad experiences a few years back.) Is it possible to do this? We do not even have a phone line in our living room where the box would be and I was not even sure if Dish required one like Direct did when I had it a few years back.
I was not sure if any of this was possible, or if I would have to just go to Bellsouth and get a basic line, DSL, and the Dish (still keeping the VOIP Phone though.) Any help with this or pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RW

You should be able to do that. If a phone line is required, you'd need to have a way for the system to dial out using the Vonage service. I don't know if they have an adapter that will let the dish box dial out. You should check with Dish to be sure.

wallypa said:
Very possible indeed. A friend of mine has comcast cable for his internet connection and direct tv for his satellite tv viewing.
Hi, Do you know how about your friend did this. I am not sure what is involved or how difficult it would be. Thanks.

There's no law or rule that says you have to get your TV and Internet from the same company.

The difficulty involved is approximately equal to that of subscribing to each service separately. In your case, call Dish and have them install. Then call your cable company and tell them to turn off everything but Internet.

Click the link in my sig if you need a clubdish card number, that will save you a little bit on the install.

I have Earthlink cable via Time Warner and DishNetwork for my my video needs. All you have to do is take the cable that is running to your cable modem and locate it on the outside of your house then take it off the splitter and just hook an single inline connector from your Time Warner cable coming from the street and hook it to the line going to your cable modem. Then hook your Dish up to the other cables going to your TVs.

Well I did as suggested and called TWC. I told them I was going to cancel their service and just wanted to know the price of cable internet. The lady at first was hesitant, and then she asked why I was leaving. I told her dish had a heck of a better deal than they could ever offer. She asked if I would stay if I was given a good deal. I was placed on hold and transferred to another department. After around 20+ min of waiting and getting mad, someone finally answered. After bartering with her, I was able to get my current service, 2 digital cable boxes and regular cable in the spare bedroom, for only 41.00/month for the next 6 months. She ended up throwing in Stars for free and gave me a credit on this months bill. For right now it is worth it. We shall see in 6 months and she told me to call back in 6 months if I had any problems, and I am sure I will be calling when my bill goes up again. Thanks for all the help!

Sorry wasn't able to respond to your post, but I guess it's moot now. Congratulations. You're happy, they are happy. I guess that's all that matters. I have cable also and thinking of switching to dish. Like you, I like to keep my hi-speed cable connection. You got a pretty good deal there. Let me ask you a dumb question, do the $41 include internet also?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)