cable length

LionsRoar

Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
State College, PA
I am thinking of building a house which has an obstruction directly in line where I would need to point my dish.

I have seen that the max recommended cable length from dish to the furtherest receiver is 200ft. I would need to increase this significantly. Is there any way to boost the signal so I can avoid the obstruction.

thanks

There are in-line satellite amplifiers that you can use. How long more do you need though?

Also for long cable runs, solid copper is recommended. You could even go with RG11 but that's pretty expensive.

I'm in a similar situation, but not sure that I have to go nearly as far as you do.

I have to put my dish on a tower at my back lot line to get a clear line of sight to the sky. I was considering running 75 ohm hardline from my house to the tower, but I was wondering, however, if I could locate the switch in my house, rather than at the dish. Does the switch really need to be located at the dish? I'd rather run 3 lengths of hardline to the tower than four. Of course, though, I'd probably only have to run 2 with the phasing out of 121. :D

Chris

"Does the switch really need to be located at the dish?"

Nope, the switch can be anywhere between the dishes and the receivers with a maximum of 200 ft. for Dish Pro. Closer to the receivers is recommended.

RandallA said:
...Nope, the switch can be anywhere between the dishes and the receivers with a maximum of 200 ft. for Dish Pro. Closer to the receivers is recommended.
Begs the question - can one have BOTH up to 200' dish to switch AND up to 200' switch to receiver? That might be the answer to LionsRoar's OP! In the case of the DPP44, I would assume that there is some signal amplification in the switch after the processing that ensures adequate strength before it leaves the switch outputs. The main issue then probably is getting the power to the switch, then to the LNBs. In the case of the 44 you need the higher power inserter feeding back into port 1, but that inserter could possibly be located close to the switch. Agreed - coax with a solid copper inner conductor will deliver the power to the switch and LNBs at a higher voltage due to its lower DC resistance vs. CCS.

I don't have any experience with RG11. I assume it's lower RF loss. Does it also have lower resistance to deliver more power?

Welcome LionsRoar - Go Nits !! (2X PSU grad here!)

Welcome n9xcr...!

Last edited:
bhelms said:
Begs the question - can one have BOTH up to 200' dish to switch AND up to 200' switch to receiver? That might be the answer to LionsRoar's OP! In the case of the DPP44, I would assume that there is some signal amplification in the switch after the processing that ensures adequate strength before it leaves the switch outputs. The main issue then probably is getting the power to the switch, then to the LNBs. In the case of the 44 you need the higher power inserter feeding back into port 1, but that inserter could possibly be located close to the switch. Agreed - coax with a solid copper inner conductor will deliver the power to the switch and LNBs at a higher voltage due to its lower DC resistance vs. CCS.

I don't have any experience with RG11. I assume it's lower RF loss. Does it also have lower resistance to deliver more power?

Welcome LionsRoar - Go Nits !! (2X PSU grad here!)

Welcome n9xcr...!

Yes, RG11 has lower resistance allowing more power and singal to pass through. We use RG11 here alot when injecting 60v DC power in to our trunk amplifiers.

Someone told me that they installed RG-11 but it was very expensive and it cost like a few thousand and they ran it around 1000 feet.

How much better would electric wire work for this? It has two thick copper wires so I would think that it would work well.

Electric wire will NOT work !!
You need a shielded coaxial cable with the proper impedance, either RG-6 or RG-11.
Making runs in excess of 200 feet you should use an inline amplifier as close to the dish (signal source) as possible.

Walt

a tech at our office ran the cable about 700 feet with a couple in-line amps with legacy equipment. I have never done that, but I have run cable almost 250 feet to legacy equipment. But I would generally stay within 150 feet just to be safe.

Dish pro is out of the question.....I've tried using it with bullet ampliphers and it doesn't work. We personally tried a 500 ft spool of RG-11 with a 96" dish/legacy LNB. It worked, but when we hooked up a 2nd spool with an amp in the middle, it didn't work.

"shielded coaxial cable" that is preferably solid copper and not copper-clad is needed only if the signal AND the power are on the same cable. With a switch in the field or part way there you could arrange power only heavy wire on port 1 and signals on the other ports. IIRC, RG-11 is tinned standed core with solid dielectric--then again, I have seen some "RG-59" with foam, they must be lying and I think the braid was thin, too. The lower the density of the fill between the core and the jacket, the less the high-frequency attenuation. To maintain 75-ohm impedance the core must be larger w.r.t. the braid diameter with a foam dielectric vs. solid polyethylene--it helps.

So with no major power draw in the cables, except the LNB, i.e., switch inside, you can probably get by with regular RG-6 for the outside runs. This is all speculation.

We do know that legacy receivers will not go as far as Dish Pro or so they say. Crossed the last message.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)