cable tv

cheito

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
usa
need help i have one outlet from the outside going in. my question is i need two outlets one for cable for one tv and the other end for my internet could i use a spliter and will this work without lossing signal and if yes what kind of spliter will be the best. thanks.

need help i have one outlet from the outside going in. my question is i need two outlets one for cable for one tv and the other end for my internet could i use a spliter and will this work without lossing signal and if yes what kind of spliter will be the best. thanks.

Confused a bit. Generally the installer will put in at least 2 outlets. One for the cable modem and another for the set top box.

If you are trying to get non scrambled channels, you might be disappointed. Most cable systems are eliminating the analog tier and forcing a box, even for basic services. Thoeretically they are supposed to send the OTA signals in the clear, but many systems have gotten around even that and force a basic subscription, even for the OTA stuff.

However, to directly answer the question, my TWC system and Comcast before that had a splitter for separating the modem and cable feeds. Yes it lowers signal level, but should still be acceptable.

thanks for your reply i have added another area of the house and this area does not have a cable outlet i just drilled a hoe to the wall to do it my self thats why you see i confusing

comcast where i live left locals in clear qam everything else is scrambled.

TWC here scrambles the HD locals. Comcast down in Rockford had them in the clear, but would regularly change the channel mapping. That would force you to rescan every couple of days, making it effectively useless.

I think by law (FCC) they can not scramble the local channels. I know TW and Cablevision here in NY have their local channels in the clear.

I think by law (FCC) they can not scramble the local channels. I know TW and Cablevision here in NY have their local channels in the clear.

Agreed, but the cable systems seem to have ways around it. They can offer low resolution analog feeds, or they can keep switching frequencies, forcing a periodic rescan and still meet the letter of the law.

Naturally, it will vary from system to system. I suspect that the majority will simply play by the intent of the rules and pass through hd unscrambled QAM feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)