Cable/Upgrade Question - Need help fast

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I am trying to help a buddy upgrade his system at his bar.

They want to put in 2 HD TV's by this weekend for the start of the world series and of course everything is last minute.

Here is what he currently has. 2 SD Tube TV's and a projector. 2 Dish SD boxes, forget the exact model but they are the older VP3/BP3 series.

One box feeds the projector the other box feeds both SD TV's. The box feeding the 2 TV's has 2 satellite in's being fed.

According to the Install info his dish is a Quad, Quad(1), Quad(2). He can't see the dish but that was the info the system gave.

Its impossible to run cables for HD across the bar in time.

What I want to know is if this will work.

Buy 2 current HD boxes, whatever they are, non-DVR. Unplug the Satellite IN and then unplug the TV1 Coax out. That is how they feed both TV's, COAX out. Use a union to connect the 2 COAX cables to extend the feed from the dish.

Install the HD box at the new TV and use the current coax going into the old TV to feed the new Dish HD box.

He'll still need some OTA antenna for local HD but we want to know if this will work or not.

We're buying Westinghouse LCD monitors so there is no tuner, we need the HD box to work at the TV's location.

I'd offer free beer on his behalf to anyone in Detroit who can help :)

If your in the Detroit area contact Claude at the DishStore. I do believe they are in Detroit and could hook you up with what ever you need.

I am trying to help a buddy upgrade his system at his bar.

They want to put in 2 HD TV's by this weekend for the start of the world series and of course everything is last minute.

Here is what he currently has. 2 SD Tube TV's and a projector. 2 Dish SD boxes, forget the exact model but they are the older VP3/BP3 series.

One box feeds the projector the other box feeds both SD TV's. The box feeding the 2 TV's has 2 satellite in's being fed.

According to the Install info his dish is a Quad, Quad(1), Quad(2). He can't see the dish but that was the info the system gave.

Its impossible to run cables for HD across the bar in time.

What I want to know is if this will work.

Buy 2 current HD boxes, whatever they are, non-DVR. Unplug the Satellite IN and then unplug the TV1 Coax out. That is how they feed both TV's, COAX out. Use a union to connect the 2 COAX cables to extend the feed from the dish.

Install the HD box at the new TV and use the current coax going into the old TV to feed the new Dish HD box.

He'll still need some OTA antenna for local HD but we want to know if this will work or not.

We're buying Westinghouse LCD monitors so there is no tuner, we need the HD box to work at the TV's location.

I'd offer free beer on his behalf to anyone in Detroit who can help :)
For one u need to know what HD channels you want, majority of new HD are on sat 129. After you have figured out what satellites u need for the HD channels u want and point the dish there, then you can use the new box with the old system. The new HD boxes will work with Legacy or Dish Pro Quad so the LNB doesn't matter. The new HD boxes will have to be single tuner unless you plan on running (2) lines from dish to each box. Then from each HD box you will have to run some kind of HD cable (hdmi, comp., dvi, etc.) coax will not support HD from HD box to TV it will work but will not be HD. What you have posted above will work as long as you are wanting OTA HD channels. And I see what you are saying about connecting the coax from dish to the coax going to tv to move the box to the tv, yes this will work, u will need a F-81 Barrel or two in your case

Thanks for the suggestions.

Claude was a huge help and will be doing the install tommorow.

I'm off to pick up some 42" LCD's

Thanks again...and I did tell him I was sent by someone here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)