Cablevision Satellite Svc To Sell At Sears Soon -Reports

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Cablevision Systems Corp. is readying its new direct satellite TV service for sales in Sears stores this holiday season, according to reports in the trade press.

The new service, to be called VOOM, will compete against Hughes Electronic's DirecTV and EchoStar's Dish Network. Cablevision's late entry into the satellite business has attracted plenty of skeptics, doubtful about the company's ability to compete against already-established players.

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030916/1329001146_2.html

If Cablevision focuses on HD and sells their service as an enhancement to exiting sat service they could probably do OK.

Last year they had some information in which said that they would have standard receivers then HD receivers and some with HD DVR's as well. They were going to have three options, rent to own, lease, and purchase including installation. I dont know what plans have changed from what they had planned last year.

They had also said they were going to offer locals and various a la carte programming groups similar to the Canadian services' offerings. (Even going so far as to publish a brochure which is probably still over at one of the other forums.)

Plus I have never heard anybody say something positive about Cablevision's cable service.

Sorry, but I cannot get excited about this service. They are going to have to develop a positive track record before I even consider to add them to my satellite mix. (where are you RabbiFrench? what are your thoughts? still excited about this service?)

I am not at all excited by what I have heard so far.

21 HD Channel of all exclusive content.

What HD material does Cablevision own the rights to?

Will each channel have only 24 hours of material and air over and over again?

Some of these things need answers.

Take it from a former Cablevision subscriber - They are the worst company imaginable. The customer service is terrible. They will overcharge you for every thing. There will be constant rate increases, the technology will never work as promised and the user will feel like a beta tester. If you think E* is bad in releasing products not ready for prime time you have not seen anything yet. Cablevision is still stuggling with Digital Cable and it mystifies me how they are going to operate a satellite service.

I seen where Charter Anywhere (using WSNET programming) was starting to do pretty well in which I seen those dishes popping up all over the place. They put them in without a credit card requirement and so forth, like Primestar. The service had a Primestar dish with a skew and two lnbf's on it (reminds me of what the SuperDish may look like only bigger).

They may attract different customers in which may not have gotten a satellite system before. I know they were supposed to have a lease option on their systems.

The funny thing about all of this, is from what I hear this is going to be a national roll out to all Sears stores.

The big question to be asked is who the hell is going to install these things? :)

Scott,
Mike Kohl over at Global in his monthly news briefing said the roll out would begin with the New York City area Sears stores in October. He did not quote a source, but he usually knows what he is talking about. Here is a link, his comments on Rainbow are near the bottom.

http://www.global-cm.net/news&views.html

I currently have the "Family Package" of cabelvision. I live in momouth County NJ. Basically I have all of the channels that don't require a box. I use it for the two televisions that I don't have connected to dishnetwork and on a second input to the ones I have connected to a dish.

I heard somewhere that the areas that are already serviced by there existing cable won't be elligable to receive the new satellite package. Does anyone else no about this?

Boy I hope they have Cablevision personal installing the the dishs. It would really spotlight the horror Cablevison Cable TV customers have had to endure for years. People would finally see the cheap equipment and wiring they use. I bet they will be using cheap crimp connectors and staple the cable on the exterior of the house with a staple gun crimping the wire in the process. The installers are real butchers too, they absolutely do not care about houses. I bet a "free" install under VOOM is never free with always all kind of extra fees. If there is one thing you learn as a Cablevision customer it is never believe one thing they tell you. They will do anything to make the sale lie stretch the truth you name it.
If there is one thing that Cablevison has its a bad reputation. I still am approaching this foam with an open mind but they have to prove a lot in order to gain trust for people in the NY/NJ/CT area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)