Cabling Question

killer v

Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Chicago-ish
Not necessarily Dish Network specifically related, but here goes.

Short version, I have an HDTV that I'd like to have hooked up to the coax out from the receiver, but also would like to hook up an HD over-the-air antenna, which also uses coax. My TV has only one coax input.

I might get the HD service from Dish Network somewhere down the line, but in the meantime, do I have any options for getting the two sources hooked up?

The TV has all of the standard HDTV inputs (including only one coax connection).

Thanks in advance!

HD out of Dish receivers are HDMI or component, OTA would be the only coax connection to the tv.

I'm not looking for HD out of the satellite box. I'm currently getting SD from Dish Network and would like to get over-the-air HD from the antenna. The TV in question is the second tv and therefore has no box, just the coax coming from the box, thus my dilemma.

You can run your OTA and Dish TV2 signals over the same coax. Split the OTA coax by the receiver with a common splitter--one side to the antenna input on the receiver the other to another splitter used in reverse. One OUT of the 2nd splitter is for the OTA input, the other OUT for the TV2 input from the receiver. Then connect your existing TV2 coax to the IN of that 2nd splitter. You'll now have TV2 programming from the receiver (SD) just as you've had but you'll be able to get OTA (HD, when broadcast) on the regular digital channels of your HDTV. Hope this makes sense to ya.
Yer welcome!

Ed

Last edited:
Not necessarily Dish Network specifically related, but here goes.

Short version, I have an HDTV that I'd like to have hooked up to the coax out from the receiver, but also would like to hook up an HD over-the-air antenna, which also uses coax. My TV has only one coax input.

I might get the HD service from Dish Network somewhere down the line, but in the meantime, do I have any options for getting the two sources hooked up?

The TV has all of the standard HDTV inputs (including only one coax connection).

Thanks in advance!

old corps is on the right track, but I assume your SD receiver is a 322 (?). If so, you don't have OTA coming into the 322, and all you have to do is use one splitter/combiner to combine the OTA signal from your antenna to the modulated TV2 output from the 322. Be sure that your TV2 modulated channel is a couple of channels removed from any of your OTA broadcast (not virtual) channels. You can get a list of the broadcast channel numbers from tvfool.com or antennaweb.org .

You MAY need to use a signal attenuator (should have come with the 322) on the TV2 output to "match" the signal with the OTA signal.

Brad

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)