Call for tech or do it myself?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GreeneDish

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Central VA
My cables from the dish to the house are being pushed out of the ground by roots and are in danger of being cut by my mower. There are two spots with about a foot of wire exposed in each place. Should I try burying them myself and run the risk of cutting then (hard packed dirt and lots of roots) or should I call for a tech visit. Is this even something covered by the "protection" plan?

My cables from the dish to the house are being pushed out of the ground by roots and are in danger of being cut by my mower. There are two spots with about a foot of wire exposed in each place. Should I try burying them myself and run the risk of cutting then (hard packed dirt and lots of roots) or should I call for a tech visit. Is this even something covered by the "protection" plan?

I don't think DISH techs are responsible for your landscaping. At least not yet. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was not as concerned about my landscape (bare packed dirt and tree roots) as cutting the lines while trying to fix them. If it wasn't in an area that the mower crosses, I would not even bother. I will break out the shovel and hatchet this weekend and see if I can manage not to cut the cables or myself.

Try using a claw hammer to dig a small trench right beside/under the cable and push the cable into it. If you don't swing the hammer and only scrape real hard with the claws you are very much less likely to damage the cable.

DRCars

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
DRCars, Great idea. Much better control of a hammer than something bigger. I think I will run a hose over it for a bit before I start also.

Reactions: DRCars
I would try a hole saw (long, narrow one used to cut drywall holes) to cut the roots, then use the claw hammer for the trench.

Go over it with a lawn mower, then call DISH because you have no signal, tech will come out and voi-la - fixed. :biggrin
...and a $95 service call charge. Actually, Dish should charge even if it's not cut by a lawn mower as it's not a mistake or poor installation work by the original installer. Not sure if the protection plan would apply here or not. This is somewhat like a dish pointing issue that after "x" years, tree growth now causes reception issues. How does Dish charge, or not charge, for those ?

I don't think DISH techs are responsible for your landscaping. At least not yet. :)
Oh contrare. If the OP makes an appointment for a service call, Dish install rules will mandate that the tech run new cable from the Antenna to the D-Mark...Reason is the install is non spec. Soon after the call is completed, a QAS Nazi will be out to inspect. If the tech does not replace the cable with direct bury cable( orange) and put a sweep at the base of the pole, its a fail. And the tech will get dinged.
Instant Trouble Call.

...and a $95 service call charge. Actually, Dish should charge even if it's not cut by a lawn mower as it's not a mistake or poor installation work by the original installer. Not sure if the protection plan would apply here or not. This is somewhat like a dish pointing issue that after "x" years, tree growth now causes reception issues. How does Dish charge, or not charge, for those ?
If the customer balks at paying, the Dish CSR will cave and the charge will be waived.

The good news is that using the hammer suggestion and my trusty JigSaw, I was able to get the cable back underground with no issues. As a FYI, I complained to Dish after the original install as the installer never put the cable more than an inch below ground and even less where he went over the roots. I knew at the time it would not last but Dish said that buried was buried and they did not regulate the depth. Oh well, it is well buried now.

Reactions: KAB
The good news is that using the hammer suggestion and my trusty JigSaw, I was able to get the cable back underground with no issues. As a FYI, I complained to Dish after the original install as the installer never put the cable more than an inch below ground and even less where he went over the roots. I knew at the time it would not last but Dish said that buried was buried and they did not regulate the depth. Oh well, it is well buried now.

When my girlfriend had her Dish installed the tech just ran the wires across the grass saying someone would come back later to do it.

Nobody ever did it, and over the years the cables buried themselves as the grass grew over them.

I was waiting for the lawn mower to cut the wires and was going to pay dish the $15 tech fee to come out and replace the wires because she had the protection plan, but that never happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts