Can 83 yr old adjust from DISH to Directv?

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
My folks are currently on DISH 250 w/ 722k DVR. I have the same equipment.

They do not use the DVR functionality no matter how much I explain it to them. I support them as much as possible from here in Hawaii to their home in NY.

So here's the situation, my dad got MSG for Ranger games when I first signed them up. In fact, getting MSG was a stipulation for their subscription.

So here's the question - if I switch them to DirectTV to get MSG, are the differences between DirectTV and DISH guides so different that 83 year olds who are set in their ways can adapt to? I will need to contact DirectTV to find out what rewirimg and rooftop mounting needs to be changed.

But if any of you are dealing with aging parents who are switching providers, I sure would appreciate hearing the issues you are dealing with.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Contact a dealer local to your parents that has a good reputation. That will help the transition immensely.

Contact a dealer local to your parents that has a good reputation. That will help the transition immensely.
Sorry, but that is the biggest pile of crap I've ever heard.

To the OP, be prepared for nightly/daily calls about....How do I do this, do that? My Dad passed away not knowing how to switch from Comcast to TWC. MY MOM, does knot even know how to switch from cable (basic in her assisted living complex) to OTA for HD. TRUST ME, YOU CAN NOT TEACH THAT OLD OF A DOG NEW TRICKS!!!!!!

Any idea who is reputable in that area? I live 7,000 miles away and it's difficult to get accurate info.

This is more than just getting a channel/ network. My dad and I were not very close when I was young. However, we've grown closer over the years. Our relationship accelerated when we got to talk sports. During the Ranger games he would actually receive, he would call me between each period to discuss the game. At the same time, we'd get into other subject areas. So for me, this is a way to reconnect with my dad in ways we didn't before.

Luckily, I 'll be visiting the east coast in November and I got tix for my mom, dad and I to see Rangers /Bruins at MSG Nov. 19. Not the best seats but may be the last time we get to attend together in our lifetimes.

I think it would be easier for a older person to go from DISH to DIRECTV then DIRECTV to DISH.

I personally think the Hopper type setup is a lot harder for older people then a normal guide. (Not that we are talking about the Hopper here, but I do think the Hopper should offer adjustable font sizes for people who need things bigger.)

I don't think that there is one blanket answer to your question. I think that it depends on your parents. Some older folks can handle the change to DirectTV just fine, while others will be totally confused. For example, my dad, who is 88, would be able to handle the switch with no problem at all, while my mother, who is also 88, would have a much more difficult time with it. You know your parents better than we do. How do they adapt to changes and new learning situations?

Scott, it has Nothing to do with font sizes. Wish it were that simple. Changing what they are accustomed to, starting with and most significantly the remotes. They look at the new, and don't see the old. I've spent many hours tearing my hair out in this arena. It's a lose, lose proposition.

My dad went from dish to direct (he's 86). Has had no problem adjusting. The installer was able to program the direct remote to operate the tv...dish installer never could get the dish remote to do that. Makes it much easier, especially for my mom..

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

My dad went from dish to direct (he's 86). Has had no problem adjusting. The installer was able to program the direct remote to operate the tv...dish installer never could get the dish remote to do that. Makes it much easier, especially for my mom.. Ross Sent via Tapatalk
Tnx for this info. My folks liked the great service that the DISH installer gave plus subsequent support.

I'm glad to hear they can get similar support. They are in zip code 11001. Floral park, NY

I don't think that there is one blanket answer to your question. I think that it depends on your parents. Some older folks can handle the change to DirectTV just fine, while others will be totally confused. For example, my dad, who is 88, would be able to handle the switch with no problem at all, while my mother, who is also 88, would have a much more difficult time with it. You know your parents better than we do. How do they adapt to changes and new learning situations?

Totally agree with Tony on this, I stream my OTA antenna channels to my parents house next door and it usually is not a problem. A few years back, the computer I use for it went down, power supply quit. My Mom was gone shopping or something and my Dad called the cable company complaining that their TV went out. When my Mom came back she called me and said that my Dad was all upset because the cable company told him they didn't have cable.

He's 82 and she's 80, my Mom understands computers and stb's and all that pretty darn good, but my Dad...well...sometimes he gets confused with just what remote turns on what.:)

From what you've said, and in their 80s, DON'T MAKE THE MOVE! Keep them with what they are used to. All your lives will be easier.

From what you've said, and in their 80s, DON'T MAKE THE MOVE! Keep them with what they are used to. All your lives will be easier.

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!

Meaning, DON'T change them.

Sorry, but that is the biggest pile of crap I've ever heard.

To the OP, be prepared for nightly/daily calls about....How do I do this, do that? My Dad passed away not knowing how to switch from Comcast to TWC. MY MOM, does knot even know how to switch from cable (basic in her assisted living complex) to OTA for HD. TRUST ME, YOU CAN NOT TEACH THAT OLD OF A DOG NEW TRICKS!!!!!!

Sorry about your failure to communicate.

We have many elderly customers who switch providers all the time and we take the time to help them until they get comfortable. Of course it takes patience and a little empathy.

Last edited:
Any idea who is reputable in that area? I live 7,000 miles away and it's difficult to get accurate info.

This is more than just getting a channel/ network. My dad and I were not very close when I was young. However, we've grown closer over the years. Our relationship accelerated when we got to talk sports. During the Ranger games he would actually receive, he would call me between each period to discuss the game. At the same time, we'd get into other subject areas. So for me, this is a way to reconnect with my dad in ways we didn't before.

Luckily, I 'll be visiting the east coast in November and I got tix for my mom, dad and I to see Rangers /Bruins at MSG Nov. 19. Not the best seats but may be the last time we get to attend together in our lifetimes.

You could check:

http://www.dish.com/support/tools-apps/locate-retailer/?WT.svl=footer

Usually if they're on that list and not a cell phone kiosk or Radio Shack they should be pretty good.

Good luck.

You are really good at running everybody and everything down, except DISH of course, but you rarely if ever have anything positive to contribute.

We have many elderly customers who switch providers all the time and we take the time to help them until they get comfortable. Of course it takes patience and a little empathy.
On the contrary, having been, and still am the son of mid-eighties parent, I speak from painful experience. It is much easier said than done.

I have worked with the elderly and now have in-laws in their 80s.

There are (rare) exceptions. Don't go looking for trouble.

On the contrary, having been, and still am the son of mid-eighties parent, I speak from painful experience. It is much easier said than done.

I edited my post to be less harsh before you responded after I thought about what you said there. I know some older folks are much harder than others to communicate with.

I edited my post to be less harsh before you responded after I thought about what you said there. I know some older folks are much harder than others to communicate with.
OK, we're good. This is a very sensitive subject I deal with daily. Mom is almost 85, in assisted living with stage 2 dementia. Not pretty and anything NEW is a crisis. Hopefully, you will have it easier with your's.

OK, we're good. This is a very sensitive subject I deal with daily. Mom is almost 85, in assisted living with stage 2 dementia. Not pretty and anything NEW is a crisis. Hopefully, you will have it easier with your's.

My folks never made it past their early 60's but I have cared for two aunts until their 90's so I know what you mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts