Can E* previous customer EVER be a new customer again?

mitchedo

Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
My father had E* for about a year some 7-8 years ago. He wants to dump his cable and get Dish Network, but apparently he's still considered an existing customer. Dish Network customer service does nothing but lie when we call. We've called probably 8 times and gotten 8 different answers, from "you're a new customer" to "you can be a new customer by paying a $100 fee", to "you can never be a new customer", to "you'll be a new customer automatically in January".

I E-mailed Dish Network customer service almost two weeks ago, and CC'd ceo@dishnetwork.com. I've yet to receive an answer.

Does ANYONE know the answer? About a year ago, after verifying with Dish's customer service that he was a new customer, he got all set up with the local installer, only to have the service declined. At the time, existing customers couldn't even BUY or LEASE a DVR from Dish.

Does he have an outstanding balance on the old account? Did he disconnect voluntarily or was he disconnected due to no payment? Do you have any old equipment?

I would keep calling until I got the CSR that said 'ok you are a new customer' and then order it.... (I would get that persons name and write it down just in case for future reference)

You could open a second account under your name for your father and would get to do the lease option .

I have 3 accounts:

1. mine
2. Aunts in Arkansas
3. Mom and Dad

They pay me the money and I have all three accounts on credit card auto pay. I handle all the tech issues and money payments. Each account has the real phone number of each person and my main cell phone number for second contact.

This would be a way to get your Dad the newest receivers in a lease deal , unless you too have bad history with Dish , or don't qualify credit wise.

DISH Network does have a promotion now for former customers who left in good standing. It's called DHA-FORMERS. There is an 18-month commitment to at least AT60 (now regularly $32/month) but you get most of the promotional benefits that new subscribers receive.

The finances are not very good for retailers so many independents may not be interested in participating but it may be worth your father's time to check with his original dealer if he can. Otherwise, he can go directly through DISH if he qualifies.

hokiecb said:
Does he have an outstanding balance on the old account? Did he disconnect voluntarily or was he disconnected due to no payment? Do you have any old equipment?
He left in good standing, not owing any money. There is an existing receiver, a 4000, which is so old and slow as to be unuseable. He disconnected voluntarily in about 1999 or 2000. The receiver was $300 with a $300 rebate for a 1-year commitment of top 40 and two premiums. We who got E* started by buying all our own equipment are treated like red-headed stepchildren. I normally would refuse to do business with someone like E* and their corporate lying, but there is little choice if we want TV.
He wants a dual-tuner DVR and a 322. I will do the install (fished through the attic and walls, dish installed on a mast). We just need the equipment, including a quad lnb on a Dish 500. We have plenty of RG6.

JohnDoe#2 said:
DISH Network does have a promotion now for former customers who left in good standing. It's called DHA-FORMERS. There is an 18-month commitment to at least AT60 (now regularly $32/month) but you get most of the promotional benefits that new subscribers receive.
The finances are not very good for retailers so many independents may not be interested in participating but it may be worth your father's time to check with his original dealer if he can. Otherwise, he can go directly through DISH if he qualifies.

How do I find out about this DHA-FORMERS? Is there a way to go through the local installer and get the equipment? I don't want them to install it, just provide the equipment.

unknown if it is available through retailers. but direct it is available, install is included. if your looking to run your cables run them before hand, then call for install. the installer will thank you for cutting two hours off their install. idetails: standard dha. but for eligibility refer to http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getDish/disclaimers/dishPVRplans/index.shtml

the exact words that refer to your father is "
(ii) former residential DISH Network subscribers (“Former DISH Network Subscribers”) who: (a) previously maintained for no less than six consecutive months an active DISH Network account in good standing status as determined in DISH Network’s sole discretion; (b) voluntarily disconnected any and all prior DISH Network accounts; (c) timely paid any and all balances owing under their prior DISH Network account(s) in full; and (d) have not received DISH Network programming or other services during the six-month period prior to activation under this promotion.
"

E*tastic497 said:
unknown if it is available through retailers. but direct it is available, install is included. if your looking to run your cables run them before hand, then call for install. the installer will thank you for cutting two hours off their install. idetails: standard dha. but for eligibility refer to http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getDish/disclaimers/dishPVRplans/index.shtml
the exact words that refer to your father is "
(ii) former residential DISH Network subscribers (“Former DISH Network Subscribers”) who: (a) previously maintained for no less than six consecutive months an active DISH Network account in good standing status as determined in DISH Network’s sole discretion; (b) voluntarily disconnected any and all prior DISH Network accounts; (c) timely paid any and all balances owing under their prior DISH Network account(s) in full; and (d) have not received DISH Network programming or other services during the six-month period prior to activation under this promotion.
"
Thank You!!! I've been trying for months to find this information. I never thought to just go look at the terms of eligibility for the Digital Home Advantage, especially after being told so many different things by E* customer service. I'm going to call Dad post haste!
Doug
One happy camper, no thanks to E* and their shoddy customer service.

The finances are not very good for retailers so many independents may not be interested in participating but it may be worth your father's time to check with his original dealer if he can. Otherwise, he can go directly through DISH if he qualifies
I am a former Dish customer, and the CSRs tell me I qualify for the DHA-FORMERS program. However, from reading the posts in this forum for the past several months, many people think it is better to go thru a local dealer rather than Dish. Of the 3 dealers in my area (other than RS and Sears), 2 never returned my phone calls, and the 3rd was not excited. He even tried to talk me out of getting the 61.5 dish for locals. (I'm entitled to it).
So try to get the same deal from a local dealer, but if not, go with the best deal you can get from a CSR.
Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts