Can EHD be used between (2) 622's?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I know I've seen this question answered here somewhere, but after sifting through tons of post after my search I still can't find it. So if I buy (1) external hard drive, can I use it on both of my 622's? Meaning, can I load it with shows from one of my receivers and then take it to the other receiver and watch the show.

So your saying I can put all of the DVR'd programs from both 622's onto one external drive (space permitting of course) and move it back and forth between receivers as needed? So one EHD would service both receivers?

So your saying I can put all of the DVR'd programs from both 622's onto one external drive (space permitting of course) and move it back and forth between receivers as needed? So one EHD would service both receivers?

You can, of course. But you will probably learn to be more prudent about which shows from which machine you want to move.

You can, of course. But you will probably learn to be more prudent about which shows from which machine you want to move.

Since I have never had an EHD before I'm not sure I follow you. Would you care to explain?

Also, once the show has been moved to the EHD, can it be moved back to the receiver? Can it be moved back to a different receiver?

Also, once the show has been moved to the EHD, can it be moved back to the receiver? Can it be moved back to a different receiver?

Yup! But remember it's a move not a copy.

You can move it off of your 622(1) and watch it from the EHD on either receiver. You can then move it back to either your 622(1) or (2).

Since I have never had an EHD before I'm not sure I follow you. Would you care to explain?

I think he's referring to filling it up rapidly.

I suggest you invest in a couple of drive docks (Thermaltake or Rosewill). Then buy a couple of SATA drives (1TB). You can have a drive on each and move those back and forth between receivers w/o having to plug/unplug from the USB port. In fact, many people do this, but have smaller drives (ie. 250G) in case of drive failure you won't lose as much. It's like having a few 8-tracks around... ;)

Why dump everything from both receivers to the EHD?? That's silly and you will figure it out, I hope. Yes, you can move back to another receiver. You are over thinking this whole thing!!!;)

I guess the reason I was thinking of putting everything on the EHD is because I have a good friend who's 622 recently crashed and he lost all of his recordings. I really don't want that to happen. But of course I know there's always a chance the EHD crashes as well.

I guess the reason I was thinking of putting everything on the EHD is because I have a good friend who's 622 recently crashed and he lost all of his recordings. I really don't want that to happen. But of course I know there's always a chance the EHD crashes as well.
Keep it out in the open for air flow and you will not have a problem.

I'm betting heavily on my EHDs being more reliable than the internal HDDs Dish uses. I've already had one fail in a ViP722. And I was a 721 owner, and you know what that means.

Hard drives in general seem a lot less reliable to me. I have drives that are 10 years old still in service, in fact I never had a hard drive go out until about 5 years ago. Of drives I have installed in the last 3 years my failure rate is 50%. It seems they are skimping too much on something now.

What if someone deactivates a 622/722 that was active on the account for an EHD. Can that EHD still be used on the deactivated 622/722?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)