Can Hopper 1 Be Used For HD satellite TV for RVs ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dangerousdave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Several years ago I purchased (not leased) a Hopper 1. I no longer need it and a friend wants to use it in his RV for mobile DISH reception. Can he use it for that purpose?
Thanks, Dave

It is a matter of perspective. The Hopper 1 was great compared to the previous VIP DVRs. And the Hopper 3 is much better until the next Hopper release which will be better.

But to the direct question, yes the Hopper 1 can be used to receive the entire spectrum of Dish channels based upon the subscription.

Reactions: NYDutch
Certainly, if he’s a masochist.
Well, I certainly know what the word means however, how does it pertain to my question of whether this receiver will work?
Can someone please tell me if there's a better solution then? Thanks, Dave

A Wally is probably the best solution for an RV. If he really wants a Hopper, go with a H3 and accept no substitutes.

I am resubmitting this question as my friend left out a very important point. Thanks for all of the replies.

Several years ago I purchased (not leased) a Hopper 1. I no longer need it and a friend wants to use it in his RV for mobile DISH reception. Can he use it for that purpose?
Thanks, Dave
Short answer is not really.
The Hopper won't work with most of the dishes made for an RV. But you can always setup a home dish on a tripod, you'd have to point the dish every time you parked the RV but it will provide full service and functionality to all the same types of receivers you'd use at home including the Hopper 1 and even the Hopper 3.
If you want to use an RV dish that points itself, the only option is one or two Wally receivers which can work as a DVR if you add an external hard drive and pay a $40 activation fee but each Wally would only be a single-tuner DVR
Edit:
I forgot about an RV dish called the Traveler. It's basically a home dish that points itself and can support any type of receiver including the Hopper but it costs around $1,600. The tripod mounted home dish costs less than $200 and also supports all types of receivers but you have to point it yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)