Can I connect a second tv with VIP622 wirelessly?

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
Okay, so I finally convinced the wife to get rid of COX and use DISH in the living room; however, I have a quick question. I live in a condo and the wiring in the walls is a mess, so I cannot feasibly just connect my VIP622 into the coax in the basement and connect the tv up one floor and its done. Therefore, my question is such:
Is there a wireless solution to accomplishing this and if so, are there any drawbacks with that type of connection?
Thank you!

There are many wireless transmitters they work on 900Mhz/2.4Ghz and 5.8 GHz. all are subject to interference from cordless phones and wireless computer connections. The only way to find out what your interference is going to be in the condo is buy one and try it.

why cant you use the existing wiring with in the house for the dish wiring? just have the installer connect the dish to the exisiting coax.

Some condos can be a pain to install in, I've seen some where you can install the dish through flat cable via the window, sometimes all the outlets run to a MDU box under a lock... I kept my cable tools to help defeat that purpose.

One thing you need to try if iit fits you, on some condos they have one line from the MDU box to a central splitter within your condos, what you'd have to do is go and open up every wall plate and see if you can find the main splitter. Typically they locate it in a main room such as your living room.

If you are able to find the splitter then get yourself some diplexers and/or use the existing outlet near your dish reciever and back feed it to the upstairs outlet.

Okay, so I finally convinced the wife to get rid of COX and use DISH in the living room; however, I have a quick question. I live in a condo and the wiring in the walls is a mess, so I cannot feasibly just connect my VIP622 into the coax in the basement and connect the tv up one floor and its done. Therefore, my question is such:
Is there a wireless solution to accomplishing this and if so, are there any drawbacks with that type of connection?
Thank you!

I'd say let the installer take a look at it and see if he can make heads or tails of the current setup. He may even be willing to run a new line if its possible. I've seen some crazy wiring setups in condos and yet I have seen some well done Dish installs using the existing wiring and making it work well & reliably. Frankly I would not go wireless, way too many potential problems with it.

A Slingbox would work, but he'll need something to play it back on. With the Slingcatcher coming out, that may work, but I don't think there's TV solution for them, yet.

I use the 5.8 GHz RF Link transmitter/receiver. For me it works great with no interference. I don't bother using the IR blaster though, because the RF Dish remote is very powerful. I use a 2.4 GHz telephone system, and you will need to use that or the new DECT 6.0 stuff.

Like the other poster suggested, if you already have COX cables running in your house, you maybe able to use reuse them. My installer used my Time Warner cable to connect my 622 to my bedroom as TV2.

I have tried X10 back about 7 years ago. Back then it was okay if no one moves around in the house. Any movement between the transmitter and receiver seem to trigger noise on the signal. Maybe they have a digital version now instead of analog?

I swear by the Belkin PureAV RemoteTV system. It is only SD, but it works flawlessly...easy setup, fantastic PQ and no interference w/ your other RF/WiFi devices. I have one feeding a ViP 222 to my kitchen TV in our condo and I set my parents up w/ a setup in their townhome that feeds a TV up through two floors to a guest bedroom. Full remote control of the base receiver through IR repeater and no audio lag, too.

Problem is, it's hard to find nowadays, but is in demand by 'folks who know' and thus expensive. Good news is, if the article in the latest 'Widescreen Review' by Belkin staff is any indication, they're coming out w/ a new version that does HD, too. If its anything as robust as this SD system, it'll be hard to beat.

PureAV RemoteTV

Video: Belkin Pure AV RemoteTV - CNET Reviews

Here's my expanded write-up on Amazon--

Amazon.com: Belkin PureAV RemoteTV: Electronics

I really recommend it if you can find it cheaper on eBay, etc. Otherwise, wait and see what Belkin comes out with next. Their proprietary wireless technology is fantastic, imho.

The only issue I have had with my month old X10 system was with having the Xbox 360 on while using the X10.. Ended with jumpy video at the receiving tv till I turned off the Xbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)