Can I get 2 local stations ??

billvack

Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
I live in Central West New Jersey. I am 3 miles from the Delaware River. My DMA, or local area according to the FCC in New York City. So I get all of my locals from there. However, by google's standpoint, I am 62 miles from Philadelphia and 63.8 miles from New York City.
What I want is the Philadelphia Local Stations. Why, because all of the news from Philadelphia includes my part of New Jersey, including traffic. But, more importantly, when there is bad weather, by the time it comes on my local New York Station, it has already past me. Any storm related notices usually come form the west, so I really need the Philly stations to stay informed. I really do not need Long Island weather that is 200 miles East of me !!!
Does anyone know how to get this accomplished?
Thanks

Unfortunatly, E* has to go by what DMA the FCC states you should get. Unless you "move" to where you can get the Philly DMA, your only other option is an OTA.

I don't recommend "moving", it's essentially fraud.

and so is including some one in a local market that isn't really local. Atleast you're close, my parents are with in 70 miles of the closest broadcasting market but included in a DMA that originates 115 miles away. You can guess how much "local" information they receive. I think the border counties really do deserve a choice.

As I stated above, Dish says I live in NY dma while I live almost 2 hours away. I am 20 miles outside of Scranton and pick up their OTA (I have no shot at all for NY). My local cable co. offers both NY and Scranton locals as a part of their basic package plus an ABC from Phily. If cable can offer channels from 3 different dma's, why isn't Dish or Direct allowed to?

As I stated above, Dish says I live in NY dma while I live almost 2 hours away. I am 20 miles outside of Scranton and pick up their OTA (I have no shot at all for NY). My local cable co. offers both NY and Scranton locals as a part of their basic package plus an ABC from Phily. If cable can offer channels from 3 different dma's, why isn't Dish or Direct allowed to?

You government at work.. And the Broadcasters who are in bed with them. It's time for some changes in the law that would even the playing field for Satellite companies.

cable has FCC rules from 1962...Satellite doesn't.

and so is including some one in a local market that isn't really local. Atleast you're close, my parents are with in 70 miles of the closest broadcasting market but included in a DMA that originates 115 miles away. You can guess how much "local" information they receive. I think the border counties really do deserve a choice.
No it's not fraud. The AC Nielsen company decides which DMA your zip code is in. "Moving" is fraud.
I understand your frustration but if you want Philly locals look into "lifeline" cable from your local CATV provider. You might find that because you are equidstant your cable company may very well carry locals form both cities. Lifeline cable is cheap and can be diplexed into your satelllite system without any real problems. Or you can get an antenna.
BTW there are people who live in Northern Wyoming and are in the Denver DMA. Open this link and look at the map. You'll see that there are DMA's that are far flung to say the least.

TV Market Maps

cable companies are under strict "must carry" rules. Satellite is mustr carry only for the DMA in which a zip code lies.
Given a choice, the cable companies would drop outside DMA channels as well. They would love to have the bandwidth.
This is my interpretation of the rules. Anyone with any more knowledge is free to chime in and correct my post ..Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts