Can I Move External Hard Drive from VIP211k to Hopper 3?

Dennis B

Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
I found lots of posts about moving external hard drives from an old receiver to a newer receiver. But none of those posts seemed to fit this situation. So here it is...

I recently upgraded from a very old VIP211k to the Hopper 3. The 211k had an external hard drive with lots of recordings. When I plug that external drive into the Hopper 3, the only option is to format the external drive, which would remove all the recordings. Is there a trick that will allow the external drive from the 211k with all the recordings to be used by the Hopper 3?

IF you connect the EHD from the 211 to the H3, the H3 will reformat the old 211 EHD because they use 2 different systems to record and store the operating system extra data that the 211 was incapable of retaining by itself.

Yes, you can move the drive but you cannot view the recordings that are there from the 211. They go bye, bye when the H3 reformats the drive.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I dont really see how? as I have EHD I been using since we had 722k with godzilla recording on them that i still use to this day on my h3 or is the 722k diffrent from the 211?

I dont really see how? as I have EHD I been using since we had 722k with godzilla recording on them that i still use to this day on my h3 or is the 722k diffrent from the 211?
The 722 is a true DVR whereas the 211 is not. The software to make the 211 a DVR resides on the EHD rather than the internal HD on the 722 and Hopper. So, because of that the 722/Hopper can't read the EHD from a 211.

The 722 is a true DVR whereas the 211 is not. The software to make the 211 a DVR resides on the EHD rather than the internal HD on the 722 and Hopper. So, because of that the 722/Hopper can't read the EHD from a 211.

makes sense cause i pretty sure i had 622 before that too with same ehd