Can I own DVR, and self install?

50volt

Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Hello,

Quick question:

I see Dish Equipment for sale on Amazon (Hoppers, Sling DVR's, Dishes etc).

Can I install myself and not have to pay rental on equipment whilst signing up for current promotions (54.99 2 year rate)?

Thanks Ahead!

There is no such thing as rental fees. You will have a $15 Hopper DVR fee (unless the promotion itself includes the DVR fee) and extra receiver fees (beyond the first receiver) regardless of ownership. Either way, you'll pay the same, and to get the promotional rate, you'll have a 2-year commitment.

Hello,

Quick question:

Can I install myself and not have to pay rental on equipment whilst signing up for current promotions (54.99 2 year rate)?

Thanks Ahead!

If you have not had DISH services in the room that you are placing the new equipment in prior, then a technician is required for installation.

There is an additional monthly receiver fee based on the receiver itself. The 2 year rate is promotional for the package so when adding another receiver, it will increased the bill.

Last edited:
If you have not had DISH services in the room that you are placing the new equipment in prior, then a technician is required for installation.

There is an additional monthly receiver fee based on the receiver itself. The 2 year rate is promotional for the package so when adding another receiver, it will increased the bill.
I never understood this business model that basically excludes DIYers, I remember the day when I would purchase my own and install myself, and call with a credit card and get activated. Oh well, guess I'll go cord cut method for Mom......

I never understood this business model that basically excludes DIYers, I remember the day when I would purchase my own and install myself, and call with a credit card and get activated. Oh well, guess I'll go cord cut method for Mom......

There is absolutely no advantage to owning your own equipment or doing your own installation if you're going to sign a 2 year agreement for service.

There is absolutely no advantage to owning your own equipment or doing your own installation if you're going to sign a 2 year agreement for service.
DISH does have programs that allow you to purchase the equipment and install it yourself. You just have to buy all of the equipment, correctly install it and maintain it. There are no promotions and no commitments, also monthly prices are the same as full retail on the packages.

DISH does have programs that allow you to purchase the equipment and install it yourself. You just have to buy all of the equipment, correctly install it and maintain it. There are no promotions and no commitments, also monthly prices are the same as full retail on the packages.

So, why are you quoting me? There is no advantage to owning your own equipment and doing your own installation if you're going to sign a two year agreement>

So, why are you quoting me? There is no advantage to owning your own equipment and doing your own installation if you're going to sign a two year agreement>
I think the point was that if you own your equipment and do your own installation, you don't have a two-year agreement. However, if these subscribers qualify for the Renewal Offer, then a two-year agreement would be required for the best price on the programming package, so you are right in that respect.

There are situations where purchasing your own equipment and doing your own install saves both money and time. But they are pretty limited. For example, as an off contract Dish sub for over a decade, I had migrated to the low cost “Welcome Pack” with a ViP 622 and a ground mounted western arc 1000.2 dish.

Since I was on a “budget package”, Dish told me that the cost to upgrade the ViP 622 to a Hopper 3 would be roughly $250 with a mandatory $100 installation fee i.e. $350, plus waiting on an installer. And of course I'd have to sign a 2 yr commitment. I’d have jumped on the $250 Hopper 3 w/2yr commitment in a heart beat, but the mandatory $100 install fee was a deal breaker. So I purchased a Hopper 3 (including the required Hybrid LNB) from Dish Depot for $308. When it arrived three days later, it took me roughly 30 minutes to swap out the LNBs and the ViP 622->Hopper 3. Seriously, this required 2 screws and a coax hookup at the sat dish end and a coax hookup at the receiver end.

For many people this would have been way too much hassle. But as an inveterate DIY’er it was a no-brainer:)

While in my experience Dish Network is a lot better to deal with then Directv, the business model of required installation (see post #3) Advanced receiver fee, dvr fee, additional receiver fee, ECT is kinda like free money. Honestly I cant see that it really costs them 7 bucks a month for each additonal receiver, and it sure as heck dont cost em 15 bucks a month because your receiver has a hard drive, especially if you buy the equipment, if you were leasing i could maybe see it. I mean to read the bill and see the fees i wouldnt be surprised to see the box is color black fee, remote control fee, and used more then 6 hours a day fee. Honestly with the introduction of services like playstation vue and adding premium channels to your existing amazon prime or outright subscribing to hbo now why anyone would sub to the dish carriers. If i hadnt been duped into switching by AT&T id be a whole lot less bitter but I know soon as my contract is up its bye bye directv hello playstation vue, ota antenna and fta satellite and ill get my dvr services for free with the addition of a hard drive to my FTA receiver. Sure it will be a little less convenient but ill be paying less then $100 bucks a month for tv, and a lot of it will be on demand.

To my knowledge unless you build a media center pc there is no way to get Free DVR on subscription dish services, and even then it wont record the premium channels. Channel master makes a really nice dvr for OTA but its kinda pricey.

To my knowledge unless you build a media center pc there is no way to get Free DVR on subscription dish services, and even then it wont record the premium channels.
If you only use one ViP211k (or another receiver from that series, or a Wally) with an external hard drive, there is no monthly DVR fee or additional receiver fee. There is a one-time $40 fee to activate DVR service, but Dish may agree to waive that fee, especially for long-time customers in good standing. The premium channels record just fine here. :)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I think the point was that if you own your equipment and do your own installation, you don't have a two-year agreement. However, if these subscribers qualify for the Renewal Offer, then a two-year agreement would be required for the best price on the programming package, so you are right in that respect.

Yep, the OP clearly stated they wanted to enter into a 2 year contract for the reduced programming costs.

Hello,

Quick question:

Thanks Ahead!

The install might be free from DISH if you get their equipment and a two year price freeze deal so you should check that. As is being posted, you can buy your receivers but DISH does not charge a rental fee so no savings there. The DVR fee will be $15 and receivers past the first one will incur an outlet fee.
If you don't want the two year contract (and the savings that goes with it) you can do it all yourself and pay the non discounted price. I don't blame dish for wanting to install the Hopper system, it isn't like the past VIP installs and they might spend more time trying to get people up and running than doing it themselves.

Because you are probably going to try to get by cheap with a welcome pack or flex pack and no contract. there's no money in it for them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)