can I tune Dish HD with three "old-style" dual-lnb dishes (DTV dishes)

kill

Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
continental USA
My friend has an HD Dish subscription with three receivers. He's using a DDP 1000.2 dish now.
He wants to move one of the receivers to a distant out-building on his property. He (actually me, doing it for him) will be moving a "vip211k" model receiver to the building.

For this new out-building setup, I will be using an array of three "old-style" dual-output lnb dishes to tune 119W, 100W, and 129W individually. These three identical dishes have been used successfully in DTV and DN setups in the past.

My question:
What type of switch will be required to combine these three dishes and send the resultant signal to the receiver (vip211k)?

From what little I have gleaned so far, I think I will be needing a SW64. Is that correct? And if so, will I need to "insert power" to it? Or will this one receiver work without the power?

Thanks for any help.
Now, I realize there are many other "cleaner" antenna setups that would work, but I'm only interested specifically in solutions that utilize these three individual dual-output lnb dishes in an array, as described above.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 18-dish-with-dual-lnb-big.jpg
    18-dish-with-dual-lnb-big.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 191
the ones you are using are most likely legacy dual lnbs as opposed to dishpro dual lnbs

you will need a sw64 with its power inserter to link all 3 with 2 lines from each lnb

the ones you are using are most likely legacy dual lnbs as opposed to dishpro dual lnbs

you will need a sw64 with its power inserter to link all 3 with 2 lines from each lnb
Thank you, TimberWolf. All three of the dishes were originally DTV equipment. I assume they would be the same/equivalent of "dual legacy" lnb's, correct? I'm only familiar with term "legacy" (this-or-that) being used to describe Dishnet-branded antennas, so I'm just not sure these are the equivalent. They look exactly like the picture I attached: 18" dish, with a single dual-output lnb, and they definitely are from DTV setups originally. Later, they were used (two of them, in an array) to tune 110W and 119W for Dish (using a DiSEqC switch).

It's just that before I buy the SW64 switch (seems kinda expensive to me) I want to have a little more confidence that I've got it correct, and that's for sure what I need.

Thanks again!

the old direct lnbs and legacy dish lnbs are functionally the same. dish only came out with the legacy designation when the started producing dishpro equipment

if you can't find a cheap sw64, it may be quicker easier and cheaper to find another 1000.2 dish

sw64 switches weren't known for durability

The dishes are compatible but the LNBs might be different. The old LNBs were compatible with Dish Network, but the later ones are not. I am not sure of the details, but maybe Iceberg or someone else will help out.

Edit: I guess TimberWolf typed his answer while I was typing this. BTW, I agree that you would be much better off with a 1000.2 dish.

OK, guys, thanks a bunch for the answers. I am looking at a new DPP 1000.2 dish on fleaBay. I (he) can get a new one including shipping for $60-$70. He can afford that.

Will I still need the SW64 switch to run this one HD receiver with a DPP 1000.2 antenna?
Or are you in fact saying the switch would not be needed in that type of configuration? If so, yes, I'd just as soon buy the new 1000.2 dish instead of the switch.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OK, guys, thanks a bunch for the answers. I am looking at a new DPP 1000.2 dish on fleaBay. I can get a new one including shipping for $60-$70. I can afford that.

Will I still need the SW64 switch to run this one HD receiver with a DPP 1000.2 antenna?
Or are you in fact saying the switch would not be needed in that type of configuration? If so, yes, I'd just as soon buy the new 1000.2 dish instead of the switch.
Thanks in advance.

No separate external switch is needed as it has a built-in DPP43 switch that'll supply up to 4 orbitals to up to three dual tuner receivers.

Check to see how much a 34 or 33 switch would cost. They should be cheaper than a 44 switch and don't require a power inserter. The best option is the 1000.2 dish with the 1000.2 triple lnb.

However, I've run into a "problem" - it seems that I can't get the legacy switches to be recognized on Eastern Arc... I can point dishes at 61.5, 72 and 77 and each one will tune in correctly, but throw legacy switches into the mix, and I get nothing but errors. Repoint the dishes at Western Arc, and no problems... It seems that 72 and 77 only want to see DP/DPP switches... I haven't tried 77 and 110, though...

I have never tried legacy with the EA. Did you do the software download on the receivers? If the receivers are new you might have to do a software download before they recognise the EA.

Been there, tried that.

You can have all the legacy lnbs and switch set up and working perfectly and what will typically happen is the newer receivers will ony "see" one polarity on one or more satellites.

You will likely need one of the newer switches which means you will need the newer lnbs also.

I have never tried legacy with the EA. Did you do the software download on the receivers? If the receivers are new you might have to do a software download before they recognise the EA.

Legacy receivers will not run EA. EA is mpeg4 only. Only ViP receivers with current software will work on an EA system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)