Can I use 3x4 multiswitch with Dish 500 Dual LNB's to add third receiver ?

kasitrol@yahoo.com

Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I have a Dish 500 Setup with dual LNB's. I want to add a third reciever. I also need programming for 119 and 110. What do I need to buy? I had hoped to go to a Multiswitch and avoid buying a quad LNB. I have std. definition not Hihg Deginition. Brand name and model and place to purchase would be helpfull. Thanks,

Kasitrol
:)

I have a Dish 500 Setup with dual LNB's. I want to add a third reciever. I also need programming for 119 and 110. What do I need to buy? I had hoped to go to a Multiswitch and avoid buying a quad LNB. I have std. definition not Hihg Deginition. Brand name and model and place to purchase would be helpfull. Thanks,

Kasitrol
:)

Kasitrol,

If you have TWO Dual LNBF's then you should be using one or two SW21's or DP21's. If you do NOT have SW21 or DP21 switches then you have ONE TWIN LNBF installation. If you have a TWIN LNBF you need to determine if it is a Dish Pro LNBF or a Legacy LNBF. Dish Pro LNBF's are labeled with a DP on the LNBF in rather Large trademarked letters. Run a Switch check to see what your receiver notifies you of your installation.

Once you determine which of TWIN's you have there are two seperate upgrade paths.1) if it's a Legacy TWIN, bad news NO Switch or combination switches will allow for more than two Satellite Feeds, you would need to replace your Legacy TWIN with either a Legacy QUAD LNBF, TWO Dual LNBF's or a Dish Pro QUAD or TWIN with a Dish Pro 34 switch. 2) If its a Dish Pro TWIN then all you need is a DP34 Switch.

If you go the legacy route you will need to run a total of 4 cables from your Dish to your receivers if you go with a Legacy QUAD or to your SW44 or SW64 switch. Be aware that older 4 digit receiver models (legacy) will NOT support Dish Pro LNBF's and or Dish Pro Switches without a Dish Pro Adaptor for each legacy receiver.

If you already have a Legacy TWO DUAL LNBF installation then you will need to get either a SW44 or SW64 switch, SW64's a dime a dozen on Ebay, just be sure the your purchase on ebay comes with the required Power Supply and Power inserter.

As far as where to buy that is your choice. There are a number of outlets from your local dealer, EBay, other Online vendors.

John

Last edited:
JohnL's comments above are quite correct.

The problem is, the "Dish 500" really describes a reflector and any one of three different types of LNB configurations.
Possibly four, under some circumstances.
That's why the long-winded answer.
Getting proper directions requires determining which sort of LNB configuration you have.

Any sort of 3x4, 4x4, or XxY satellite switch you find in your local electronics store, unless it specifically says Echostar or Dish Network on it, is -not- for use with any Dish install.
So, if your local Radio Shack still has such stuff on the shelf , it won't work.

I thought one could use a 3x4 (13v/18v/OTA) switch with a Legacy Dual. If one takes 2 of these 3x4 switches, and connect each switch to a dual, one gets 4 outputs. Then connect each output from the 3x4 into an SW21. One can then connect 4 receivers to the 2 LNBs.

Perhaps Kasitrol has a couple of 3x4 switches laying around, along with 3 SW21s. It would work. It would be a "rats nest" of cabling, but I believe it would work. I have all legacy equip, including D* LNBs and have connected those with my SW21s, just for grins. Once you start taking a D* 4x4 switch, then one needs the 22KHz tone generator to get the switch to choose between Sat1 and Sat2. One thing about D*, nothing fancy about their swtiches; at least until you get to their new AT9 dish.

All that being said, get a dish quad, or if all DP receivers, a DP quad.

Miner

While there are some outrageous setups built around some of those DirecTV switches, they aren't the answer I assumed the OP was seeking.
So, the simple answer is "no, that's not the right stuff".

And I'm with you on the Quads!
I've got one , as does a buddy.
For up to four tuners, they are pretty simple.

The only problem I can see with using D* switches is something I just ran into a few weeks back. For whatever reason, these switches will not allow a complete download in software. And that triggered a shutdown on the the customer's receiver due it not "talking" to Dish.

Thanks to all of you who replied to the question. I have a Pro Dual LNB so it looks as if I can use the SW34. I really appreciate the detail given by John L and all of the others who contributed. I have learned a lot fromthis thread

...cleanup...

Unfortunately for the newbie, and contrary to English convention, Echostar broke the rules of good sense in naming their LNBs.

One bird (most any of their satellites):
SINGLE means one LNB with one electrical output
DUAL means one LNB two electrical outputs
(and of course, both of the above come in Legacy and DishPro flavors)

Two birds (110 & 119):
TWIN is the name they gave the 2 LNB, 2 output , double-wide LNB.
QUAD is the same as the Twin, but has 4 electrical outputs for 4 receivers.
(and of course, both of the above come in Legacy and DishPro flavors)

And, over the years, the company has shipped, sold, and installed every combination of LNBs on the so-called Dish-500 reflector, so it's really hard to discuss without getting detailed.
And, of course, the person asking the question usually can't tell what they've got, else they wouldn't be asking. ;)

This post is just to help any new person reading this thread later.
It isn't hard, just detailed.

And congrats to the OP. You're off and running with your DishPro TWIN and a nice DP34 switch.
(...or singles, or duals, just as long as they're DishPro, the DP34 is your friend)

Last edited:
You should be able to use a legacy dual lnbf and connect one side into the 13 volts port of the Directv 3x4 switch and the other side to the 18 volts port of the 3x4 Directv switch (if you only need one orbital slot).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)