Can I use a power inserter?

jt240z

Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Trying to setup a Dish 1000.2 dish using my Birdog USB Plus Ver. 4 meter. As the Birddog website has indicated, the 1000.2 LNB demands a lot of power to operate. I've noticed that my meter will power the dish but for only for a very short time before it trips the over current message. I was wondering if it's possible to use a DPP44 power inserter to help power the LNB while trying to peek the dish? I have one on hand along with the DPP44 switch it came with. If this is possible, should I use the inserter on the same port that I have the meter attached or should I run a separate coax to one of the other input ports and leave the meter attached by itself? The LNB i have on the Dish HD antenna is the 1000.2 LNB with three output ports and one input port. I'm shooting for 119, 110 and 129 Western arc from Atlanta Georgia.

Can you give me a little more detail?

Just to make it clear, I'm not planning on using the actual DPP44 switch. Only the power inserter. My thought was to use the power inserter on one of the input ports of the LNBF to power the unit and then use one of the other ports to peak the meter. I could also put the power inserter inline between the meter and the dish. Just looking at what would work best or if this is even feasible.

Note: Plan on using a Wally receiver that was just purchased. The system is for setup purposes only. In the end I will be using the Wally receiver with a Pathway X2 antenna. The reason for the 1000.2 dish is to properly update the software on the Wally. Seems that software updates are a bit flaky when using a portable dish.

Can you give me a little more detail?

Just to make it clear, I'm not planning on using the actual DPP44 switch. Only the power inserter. My thought was to use the power inserter on one of the input ports of the LNBF to power the unit and then use one of the other ports to peak the meter. I could also put the power inserter inline between the meter and the dish. Just looking at what would work best or if this is even feasible.

Note: Plan on using a Wally receiver that was just purchased. The system is for setup purposes only. In the end I will be using the Wally receiver with a Pathway X2 antenna. The reason for the 1000.2 dish is to properly update the software on the Wally. Seems that software updates are a bit flaky when using a portable dish.
just plug it into the port that says to LNBF. That's the port that powers it. The other output goes to the receiver, although you could just use the receiver to power the LNBF

Reactions: charlesrshell
In the case of FTA receivers. Their tuners cannot supply adequate current to DN lnbf's and it taxes the tuners or power supply. Eventually the tuners overheat and fail. This would be using anything other than a DN single lnbf.
FTA lnbf's dont require much current to operate. DN multis do. Lots more.
On DN multi lnb's, power from a power inserter (~ 21 or so VDC) applied to port 1 of them allows the receiver or in your case a signal meter to not depend on its own battery to supply power the lnb. Voltage polarity switching to the internal diseqc circuit of the lnb doesn't require much current and therefore your meter should do just fine.
Does it help?

In the case of FTA receivers. Their tuners cannot supply adequate current to DN lnbf's and it taxes the tuners or power supply. Eventually the tuners overheat and fail. This would be using anything other than a DN single lnbf.
FTA lnbf's dont require much current to operate. DN multis do. Lots more.
On DN multi lnb's, power from a power inserter (~ 21 or so VDC) applied to port 1 of them allows the receiver or in your case a signal meter to not depend on its own battery to supply power the lnb. Voltage polarity switching to the internal diseqc circuit of the lnb doesn't require much current and therefore your meter should do just fine.
Does it help?
Yep, that's exactly the way I was thinking. If I use the Birdog meter alone, it must supply all the power needed for the entire LNBF. If I use a power inserter on the #1 port to power the dish and then use the Birdog on any other output port to measure signal strength, I should be good to go. Just wanted confirmation that I only need the power inserter to power the lnbf and no need to have anything else connected.

Does anyone know if I could use the power inserter in line with the Birdog meter? Basically connected with, BD meter --> inserter --> lnbf port 1 through a single coax connection. Just using this setup to peak the dish and then use the Wally directly connected to port 1 without the power inserter connected. All I'm wanting to do is get the software version (currently U808) updated to the latest version. Installation wont progress past "waiting to download software".

just plug it into the port that says to LNBF. That's the port that powers it. The other output goes to the receiver, although you could just use the receiver to power the LNBF
The lnbf on my 1000.2 western arc antenna only says 1-3 and input. Nothing marked as LNBF that I could see. My understanding is that any of the 1-3 inputs can power the unit and the input is used to add an additional bird.

The lnbf on my 1000.2 western arc antenna only says 1-3 and input. Nothing marked as LNBF that I could see. My understanding is that any of the 1-3 inputs can power the unit and the input is used to add an additional bird.
Just plug your power inserter in port 1. Use any other port for your meter. LNBF is an 'uplink' port to a second dish. Call it a day.

I was talking about the power inserter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)