Can I use Directv equipment to get Dish Network service?

SACHEM

Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I've tried to search for an answer to my question through the older posts, but I couldn't find anything too specific, so I apologize if this question has been answered before.

I was able to get a satellite dish and receiver from a coworker, both are branded by Directv. Here are the specifications on them:

Dish: It says: "Compatible with Directv Multi Satellite, Directv Para Todos, and Directv Dish Antennas. California Amplifiers P/N: 150517"

Receiver: RCA DRD430RG

I am looking to get Dish Network. From what I understand (no sure if I am correct), Dish won't let you use someone else's receiver as the main receiver, but could I use the receiver I have for a secondary TV?

Also, will my dish be able to pick up Dish Network as long as I install it in the right direction?

It wouldn't be impossible for us to find a newer dish or receiver, but I would like to use this free equipment if possible. I am not interested in renting equipment from Dish though.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

No. Different systems, different equipment with almost zero overlap. No way are receivers interchangeable.

I guess I will need to keep looking for Dish equipment then. Thanks for the quick response.

So, will my current LNB hooked up to my dish work? Or do I need to find a new LNB? Is is possible to just buy a Dish Network LNB?

Would signal from 119 be enough, or will I need 110 too? I don't really want a 2 dish system.

Sorry if I don't completely understand your post.

Some DirecTV DISHES might work. Sorta. A bit more to it as to how and limitations. As to LNBs- well, I believe there was a DirecTV LNB that would work under an old, pre-Dish Pro method. Legacy.

Basically, unless you are a hobbyist wanting to learn what you can do using stuff not meant to do what you want it to, - forget it. You can center on the equipment, or you can center on watching TV. Both approaches are valid, both are fun. But I believe you are interested in watching more than doing.

You can use a single Dish 500 dish to pull in both 110 & 119. This is most of Dish's channels. There are different LNBs to do this with, depending upon your other equipment. For HD, you'll pretty much need to bring in 129 or 61.5. And yes, it is possible to get 129, 119 & 110 with a single antenna in much of the country.

You need not buy anything. When you subscribe to Dish, they'll provide all the equipment in some sort of new customer deal, at little or no cost to you beyond the monthly fees.

Unless you want to be a hobbyist and go the FTA route. Then you might want to talk to Iceberg in the FTA forums.

Thanks a lot for your help, navychop and tooth!

I'll keep looking for Dish equipment, I'd like to avoid contracts if possible.

- Dish has a pay-as-you-go plan, with no contracts, no social, no nuttin'.
- No DirecTV receiver will ever receive anything from Dish Network.
- Dish sometimes has problems activating used equipment on a new account, unless it has been specifically and officially released by the previous owner.
- if you are dumpster diving, the chances of finding a Dish 500 (this is a specific dish with lnbs) is pretty high.
They come in Legacy, DishPro, and other flavors, most of which will work fine.
(too much info for one post) - ;)
- The receiver model 301 is modern, quite nice, cheap, and not lacking for a first or second receiver.
Some older models with four numbers are a bit . . . old . . . in my opinion.
- "FTA" the term, and the equipment, have nothing to do with receiving any pay satellite service.
If both words come out of your mouth in the same sentence, you'll likely get thrown out of our FTA section.
. . . or worse . . .
- unless you are specifically looking for foreign language, the 110º + 119º birds are probably all you need.
- Please re-read everything NavyChop said, above. - :up

- Dish has a pay-as-you-go plan, with no contracts, no social, no nuttin'.

I use this type of Dish service and it works great.

No contracts. No info given. You own everything

BUT..............(Aye, here is the rub):

1. No local channels available
2. No PPV available
3. No HD available
4. No local RSN(Regional Sports Network) available.
5. It uses a reconditioned DP301 Receiver that only allows for 1-room capability.

These are the big four that turn people off to the system. Number 5 maybe.

But there are no contracts. No Social Security # needed. No Credit Card since it is prepaid.

All you give is a zip code(hence no RSN or locals since you could say ANY zip code, and they would not know), and that is it.

But you can sign up for 1 day(you actually get 2 days for the price of 1 if ordered before 8AM I noticed) for any type of programming left, and be done with it.

Watched HBO this afternoon for the Heavyweight Title fight. Total cost to me: $.55 cents.

PRICELESS!!!!!

Here is a link to info about the Dish NOW/YA prepaid service:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/110233-very-frustrated-dish.html

Post #12 and #16 are wordy, but informative. I wrote them. They are long winded. Sorry. But they really do explain everything.

And this thread expands on the differences between the prepaid Card found at Radio Shack and the GREEN DOT MONEYPAK:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/123868-dish-network-prepaid-question.html

If it is an old legacy LNB you will be able to get 119 with it. You will not be able to get 110 and 119 together. The old DIRECTV triple LNB dish combined DIRECTV 110 with its 119. Any Dish receiver will work with the legacy LNBs. So, essentially you could use it for 119 for AT100 and most of AT200 service. You could use the 101 LNB to point to 119 and avoid the combining parts.

Kiss

I think a full-on description of how to rewire and reaim a Phase II (Para Todos) dish to get Dish 110º & 119º, goes way beyond the scope of this thread. - :D
Not to mention the switch you'd need.

If OP wants DISH without a contract or a lease, their best bet might be to get a DISH 500 out of the dumpster at the local DNSC office. Easiest way to find them or a contractor for them is to check craiglist or careerbuilder and tell them you want to come in and fill out an app to get the address. Then check the dumpster after hours and you'll probably find hundreds of Dish 500 dishes. Might even score a DP twin LNB but its functionality is not so certain. As for a receiver, try Ebay but make sure to get the R00 and S00 before completing the sale and call DISH to ensure you can activate the receiver before buying. Last of all, fund your paypal with your credit card (not debit card) to ensure you have recourse if the sale goes bad. Once you've done all that, call DISH and order programming.

Also, now is the time to find Dish 500 dishes. With the MPEG2 to MPEG4 HD receiver transition, all those old MPEG2 HD receivers are getting Dish 1000.2 upgrades with their receiver upgrades and techs are bringing back the old 500 dishes and just pitching them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts