Can I use the input from CATV into a 622 and record the HD locals?

KeyserMeeps

Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
A salesman at Best Buy suggested that I might be able to take the cable coax (after subscribing to their local HDs) and plug it into the 622 and record the OTA? Does anyone know if this is possible?

And also, how can you use the DVR with the OTA, is it just with timers or is it interactive like using the Guide. (My frame of reference is the 522). I am looking at going HD, but need to look at the whole enchilada, I'd hate to buy a $1800 tv and watch the same old quality (or lose the PVR functionality I'm now addicted to).

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I really don't think it will work. The "CABLE IN" and "ANT" happen to share the same connection, but I suspect the receiver can tell the difference.

KeyserMeeps said:
A salesman at Best Buy suggested that I might be able to take the cable coax (after subscribing to their local HDs) and plug it into the 622 and record the OTA? Does anyone know if this is possible?

And also, how can you use the DVR with the OTA, is it just with timers or is it interactive like using the Guide. (My frame of reference is the 522). I am looking at going HD, but need to look at the whole enchilada, I'd hate to buy a $1800 tv and watch the same old quality (or lose the PVR functionality I'm now addicted to).

Thanks in advance,
Mike

CATV uses "Qam" which the 622 won't tune. You can record the analoge 2-13 I suppose if they are still providing it but no HD.

With OTA using an antenna, you might get a guide for the HD channels if you subscribe to locals through Dish, or might not. IF you do not sub to locals, you will get no guide data and will have to use manual timers which works for me.

You do not have a location in your profile. Dish may already provide the locals in HD in your area. If SD only, use a OTA and sub to locals anyway to get the guide for HD.

No matter what, get rid of Cable, you really won't need it.

Foghorn2 -- Even though the 622 does not have an NTSC tuner for OTA Analog,
"Can you go into the setup and configure the OTA input for cable, connect an antenna, and then receive OTA Analog broadcasts for channels 2 - 13?"

I believe the 622 will simply "pass thru" the incoming cable signals. You likely will have to turn the 622 "off" to watch them though. They will NOT show up in the program guide and you will NOT be able to record them.

SmityWhity said:
Foghorn2 -- Even though the 622 does not have an NTSC tuner for OTA Analog,
"Can you go into the setup and configure the OTA input for cable, connect an antenna, and then receive OTA Analog broadcasts for channels 2 - 13?"

Oops, you are right, no 2-13, thanks. I was thinking of the older boxes.

Regarding your cable and the 622...

It won't work tune in your cable HD locals if, like 99.9% of all cable headends, they are using QAM. However, it *MAY* work if your local cable company is passing through the 8-VSB signals from the broadcasters (which I doubt). In the rare event they do, just plug your cable into the TV/Antenna/Cable/8-VSB port and scan.

riffjim4069 said:
Regarding your cable and the 622...

It won't work tune in your cable HD locals if, like 99.9% of all cable headends, they are using QAM. However, it *MAY* work if your local cable company is passing through the 8-VSB signals from the broadcasters (which I doubt). In the rare event they do, just plug your cable into the TV/Antenna/Cable/8-VSB port and scan.

Sometimes if the transmiiters are close, the cable will have the 8-VSB signals in em but they are not from the cable plants.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"The HD-Lite Ranters are the cesspool of our gene pool."

Last edited:
Just installed dish with 622 and 311receivers. Decided not to get E* locals, instead downgraded my cable to basic for local networks and desire to use PIP split screen on our 1080p Samsung. By chance had huge storm come thru Sunday and completly lost E* signal, but still got to watch the end of golf tournament since I still have locals on cable.

Cable is plugged into the Samsung antenna port for cable but we still get audio thru our surround sound system via a VCR. Cost of basic is $5.49 monthly and have insurance against weather disruptions. We chose to avoid using the OTA on the 622 since our cable signal is not compatible. Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts