Can lock on 61.5

msnyder

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Can't lock on 61.5

I've got my mast mount plumb, and the elevation set to 39, but I can't lock onto 61.5! The compass should point to 123 degrees, I get a medium signal but the receiver says it the wrong sat, claims it's Echostar 110 West. I have the DP21 installed and it sees 110/119 on input two and shows it is a Quad (wich it is) on input one is shows it as "Conn" but recognizes the LNBF and a Dual (which it is). What's the deal? I've been on the roof in 30 degree weather for 2 hours searching for that damn bird.

You MUST aim the dish with it connected directly to the receiver with NO switch. Once you have the dish peaked THEN connect the switch and do the switch test.

I did hook it directly to the receiver, and all I could get is the low pitched slow beep. Will is always have a low pitched beep even it the signal is high? On most transponders I get a fairly high signal 85-91 when selecting 61.5 but it says it the Wrong Sat- Echostar 110 West, these are too far apart, It can't be that one.

With just the 61.5 dish and no switches hooked up, run a switch check. Then it should lock in. After that when you hook up the Dish 500 and switches you can run another switch check to get everything working.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
With just the 61.5 dish and no switches hooked up, run a switch check. Then it should lock in. After that when you hook up the Dish 500 and switches you can run another switch check to get everything working.

See ya
Tony

Yeah, when I do this I get no signal at all. It doesn't even say Wrong Sat...

The Check Switch test shows:
Satillite:Conn
Polarity: X
Device: Dual
Satus: Problem Detected, Check Connections

Anybody in Tyler, Texas with a signal meter?

Are you using a single or dual LNB? Or is it a TWIN LNB? I ask this because the Twin has a switch inside and the outputs are funky in this application.

See ya
Tony

msynder,
Just to clear things up, you have a Dish 500 with a DishPro Quad LNB pointed at the core (119/110) location, a Dish 300 w/DishPro LNB pointed at 61.5, and a DP21 switch between these (Quad into DP21 input 1, 61.5 into DP21 input 2), and everything comes into your Dish model ???? receiver.

If you have verified the mast is plumb, and you have the Dish 300 elevation set to the right value for your location, finding 61.5 should be a piece of cake. Like n0cqu and TNGTony said, aiming at 61.5 requires a receiver with no switch matrix defined. There are no obstructions, right?

Everything is correct except I have 61.5 on Input 1 and 110/119 on input 2 of the DP21.

Cliff said:
Voom also has a satellite at 61.5, move your elevation a sixteenth of an inch up or down and I bet you'll hit the one you need. Those low horizon satellites are a bear to home in on.
Good luck.

Yeah I used to have Voom, too bad they took down the dish when I canceled service. I'm going to try again today, it's clear skies, last night was very cloudy, maybe I'll have better luck.

msnyder said:
Screw this, an installer is on the way...
Let us know if it turns out to be a bad LNB or some other problem. 61.5 isn't usually that hard to pick up, and as long as you have 61.5 selected on your Point Dish screen you won't see V*'s Rainbow1 at all. (I hope you tried spinning around the transponders and were not trying to find 61.5 based on TP2, TP4 or TP28 - which show up as 0 on a well pointed dish.)

BTW: I'm getting 105-125 level signals out of 61.5 today on a nicely aimed Dish500 w/Twin LNB. I'm using that dish because I had it laying around spare.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts