Can somebody please straighten me out about my 942?

T. Perinne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Houston, TX
I have a 942 with HBO HD, Showtime HD, HD Pack, and Voom. I also have America's top 120 + locals for SD. I do not have an HD OTA antenna - I am hoping for upcomming HD local programming from Dish as I am in Houston.

I'm reading threads on mpeg-4 release, new 622 HD receiver, HD locals coming soon... I can't figure out how my 942 plays into this. Can I keep it and will it work for new HD locals and other new HD channels from Dish in 2006?

What are the immediate advantages and/or disadvantages of early adopting a 622 next month? It would hurt to do this since I paid Dish full price when I bought my 942 from them last year. On the other hand - I would buy a 622 in Feb. if it made more HD channels available and immediately gave better HD picture quality.

Thanks.

Most likely your 942 will be obsolete in another couple of months.. All current hd programming you will still be able to recive in a couple of months but not the new hd programming. :) most of the HD lil will be in mpg4. The 942 can not do mpg4 :)

There really is no disadvantages to upgrading to a 622..
The advantages are you get all new mpg 4 programming :)

I would wait to see what upgrade plans they offer coustomers before juming in to a 942. ;)

goaliebob99 said:
Most likely your 942 will be obsolete in another couple of months.. All current hd programming you will still be able to recive in a couple of months but not the new hd programming. :) most of the HD lil will be in mpg4. The 942 can not do mpg4 :)

There really is no disadvantages to upgrading to a 622..
The advantages are you get all new mpg 4 programming :)

I would wait to see what upgrade plans they offer coustomers before juming in to a 942. ;)

I disagree that the 942 will be obsolete that soon. While it is possible that they can switch everything to MPEG4 in June, there is no way they could pull it off without huge ramifications.

First, they'd have to figure out how to roll out the new equipment for every HD customer out there--who pays what, install costs, etc. Then there is the whole issue of just plain fulfilling the hardware orders--it's unlikely they'll have all the hardware ready in the warehouse before the "switch". Not to mention the logistics of all this happening in the 3-4 month window required.

More than likely, the first MPEG4 channels would be new HD channels--such as HD locals or Voom redos--or perhaps HD simulcasts. This would allow for a sane rollout on new equipment--only new customers or customer upgrade would need the new equipment. This would keep them busy for at least another 6-12months.

This time would also be needed to debug this new generation of hardware.

After that, I'd expect Dish would start a conversion plan that gave existing customers a reasonable amount of time to upgrade their equipment and fulfill these upgrades.

Only then would they start moving existing HD channels over to MPEG4.

This is the only plan that makes sense--perhaps that's why I may be wrong.:eek:

With that said, I'd jump on the first upgrade opportunity you can stomach. The longer you own your 942, the less you'll get for an upgrade/swap.

-sc

Existing customers will be given an upgrade opportunity as soon as adequate supplies beyond those needed for new customers is established. I have to agree that HD LOCALS will be the first to be rolled out. They are the primary ones that my customers and friends are watching. We are in the Dallas DMA and will be some of the first to see HD locals up. They will most likely be MPEG4. DISH is under the gun since Rupert decided to use the two extra satellites he had in the can for HD. DIRECTV already has a number of HD locals up. The only drawback is they need an antenna the size of a patio umbrella to receive them. They are being broadcast on a KA bird which will make installers go crazy if they are not installed correctly with the right materials. DISH is using KU and that will make it more painless to convert. The rollout will be limited, but within two years DISH will have surpassed what DIRECTV has recently accplished. Don't forget the because DISH designs and builds its own hardware it can make the transition smoother and less costly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts