Can the HD Directivo be so compelling as to break your loyalty to Dish?

Assuming they actually offer any new subscriber deals that is... Rumor I've heard is that it will be $999 just like the 921.

The delays of getting the 522 to the existing customer base is really getting me to think of switching myself. I really would like the use of a 2 tuner solution so I'm not tied out of my 510 when recording a program, from watching something else at the same time.

If there is a deal, yep. If not, I'll wait until the mythical dp44 switch and the eventual deal on the 921. I'm in no big hurry to be a beta tester for either organization. My two 6000's work great...

Neutron said:
The delays of getting the 522 to the existing customer base is really getting me to think of switching myself. I really would like the use of a 2 tuner solution so I'm not tied out of my 510 when recording a program, from watching something else at the same time.

Do it, you'll love the DirecTivo's. I didn't think that it was that big of a deal going from a 501 and 508 to the Tivo's but it's like night and day (almost). The name based recording is great, no more missing a program or recording something you don't care about since they didn't show what you wanted this week. I do miss the caller ID and RF remote but I'm getting used to it.

People should really avoid a loyality for no other reason. It's not that hard (or expensive) to switch. You just gotta look a the services....

Programming comes first, hardware 2nd. For me, Dish has programming not available on Direct or Cable.

Unfortunately, I think the Cable HD PVR is going to be a great option for many. Even more so if they get a dual tuner (Motorola box due end of year).

My Cable company all ready carries the HD Dish has plus locals, Starz, and Cinemax.

I have a SAtivo now and couldn't do without it(my wife also). My year subcription to
E* is up end of April. No committment just like to pay by the year. Hopefully
the HDtivo will be out by then and should get a review on what people rates it. At that
time will get the $99 Directtivo deal from D* plus the HDtivo and give my SAtivo to my daughter.

Not for me, it does not have firewire for archiving, plus to get the HD Pack from D* they require sub to SD programming.

trafter said:
If there is a deal, yep. If not, I'll wait until the mythical dp44 switch and the eventual deal on the 921. I'm in no big hurry to be a beta tester for either organization. My two 6000's work great...

TiVo beta tests their equipment before release.

Tivo.... Ho-Hum.. For my watching, it offers nothing over what I already have for my needs.

normang said:
Tivo.... Ho-Hum.. For my watching, it offers nothing over what I already have for my needs.

Have you actually used a Tivo? I think that if you have you would clearly see why everyone likes it so much. I just got a SA unit and it is awsome. I used to have a replay, and it wasn't even close to tivo in so many areas (ease of use, interface, smarts (seasonpass, suggestions, etc).

skaeight said:
Have you actually used a Tivo? I think that if you have you would clearly see why everyone likes it so much. I just got a SA unit and it is awsome. I used to have a replay, and it wasn't even close to tivo in so many areas (ease of use, interface, smarts (seasonpass, suggestions, etc).

Ho-Hum.. I've seen 'em, used 'em in stores, played--a lot, not impressed, its only TV for crying out loud. As Long as I can program my Dish DVR to watch the shows I want to watch, thats all thats needed.

I have been a E* customer for seven years, and a TiVo customer for six. I think if I had to choose, I would go with TiVo, because of the season pass and two week programming cycle. So that means to keep DBS, I would have to go D*. I am on an annual payment cycle, so next October I will see how the players are shaking out and go accordingly. In the meantime, I also have a Zenith 420 HDV for OTA, and I am happy as a clam.

normang said:
Ho-Hum.. I've seen 'em, used 'em in stores, played--a lot, not impressed, its only TV for crying out loud. As Long as I can program my Dish DVR to watch the shows I want to watch, thats all thats needed.

Just keep telling your self that... ;)

skaeight said:
Just keep telling your self that... ;)

Its absolutely not a problem. Tivo is a yawner for me.. it doesn't give me anything I need. The features that some jump up an down about are not a big deal to me. A glossy interface is perhaps pretty, but if all I need to do is locate my favorite shows, and program them to record daily, weekly or whatever, why do I need a ton of other features I would never use. I don't even use the search that much on my DVR..

I have a life, I don't need to have it controlled by which DVR I have, its only TV and increasingly, despite the growing number of channels, unfortunately there is less on..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)