Can we self install the Superdish?

CMB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Does anyone know yet whether they will allow self-installs?

Or would it be better to wait for them to install it so that you might get the switches and adapters for free?

Any thoughts?

I would say your second option is your best bet. :)

I myself will probably have them leave my existing dish where it is as I have a lot of legacy equipment and put up the superdish as a new Dish, and have them hook up all my Dishpro compatable equipment to the superdish leaving the legacy stuff on the SW-64. When I get rid of the legacy stuff I will then get me a FTA receiver and use the old dish to see whats FTA. :)

On the same line, when I signed-up for E* 3 years ago, I bought all my eq. online and installed myself. I do NOT have any intention of trying to do the same with the Superdish, but I'm not sure the best way to find a capable installer. When Superdish is released, should I just contact Dish Network and tell them exactly what I want, or should I try to find a local installer myself? Silly question, but I want to do this the right (and fastest) way 8)

While my advice is uaully to always contact your local retailer, Echostar is offering a special if you agree to sign up for at least AT 50 or the HD pack for a year and that is free superdish and free install of the Superdish. I don't know if this offer will be offered by the retailers or only by Dish Network directly.

I want to self-install. I will probably postpone any Super-Duper Dish activity until Dish changes things so I don't have to deal with the expense and aggravation of getting an installer I don't know to perform the install the way I want it done.

Hey, Scott, not to get off topic but don't hold your breath on picking up to much FTA with your legacy dish and lnb. The bulk of the FTA channels require a different type lnb and a 76cm dish (that is optimal, smaller dishes. like a 60cm, will pick up some satellites but would not be very dependable).

Using your legacy dish and lnb with a FTA receiver you could expect to receive the audio channels from the Dish satellites and Expressvue's Nimiq satellites. Also the barker channels and a news channel from Expressvue. Good luck.

WYguy, I just want FTA so I can see when Dish adds new channels and stuff like that.

I wanna be like John H! :D

BTW Speaking of John H I wish he would come on over. :)

jssat said:
I though they had mentioned not letting any one self installing on one of the chats

James

They did. But that doesn't mean I can not want to self install anyway.

I guess I could always have E* install it and if I ever move then I take it with me :-D They will never know :-d It's not like its 2 way satellite and im going to break something if I point it wrong.

Will the SD have a switch built into the lnb's, or will it require atleast one DP34 switch? In my case I will need 2 DP34 switches.I would prefer to install myself but If I get the switches free in the deal it will be worth it to let them install.They can install the dish ,I will do the inside work.They shouldn't kick on that.I believe the switches are 129.00 each at dish depot.

mattb said:
I guess I could always have E* install it and if I ever move then I take it with me :-D They will never know :-d It's not like its 2 way satellite and im going to break something if I point it wrong.

I've not done the trigonometry, but I would imagine that the superdish install will be tough for a DIYer because we're now dealing with 3 birds. The 110/119 require elevation and skew (as well as azimuth), but the 105 slot may also entail a separate inclination adjustment. Once the procedures get "out" into the public domain and the "bugs" have been worked out by a lot of DIYers, then they may loosen this "restriction" but, initially, to prevent as much bad publicity as possible (as in, why can't I get this @#$@#$*(& thing to align?), they may "require" professional installation to guarantee that you have the best service possible from DISH as a provider. You always have the right to supervise the installation and require it be done in a certain fashion (like cable runs, location, etc.). If the installer doesn't want to cooperate, you can always (try to) remind him/her that this is YOUR property and that they are providing YOU with a service. For me, I'll take the local installer as if he makes a mistake, I've got someone to blame and someone to fix the mistake. YMMV

davhol said:
mattb said:

I've not done the trigonometry, but I would imagine that the superdish install will be tough for a DIYer because we're now dealing with 3 birds. The 110/119 require elevation and skew (as well as azimuth), but the 105 slot may also entail a separate inclination adjustment. Once the procedures get "out" into the public domain and the "bugs" have been worked out by a lot of DIYers, then they may loosen this "restriction" but, initially, to prevent as much bad publicity as possible (as in, why can't I get this @#$@#$*(& thing to align?), they may "require" professional installation to guarantee that you have the best service possible from DISH as a provider. You always have the right to supervise the installation and require it be done in a certain fashion (like cable runs, location, etc.). If the installer doesn't want to cooperate, you can always (try to) remind him/her that this is YOUR property and that they are providing YOU with a service. For me, I'll take the local installer as if he makes a mistake, I've got someone to blame and someone to fix the mistake. YMMV

On the more finished looking mockup, the 3 LNBs are rigidly fixed relative to one another. I do not think the setup will be any more difficult than the Dish 500 is now.

fv3 said:
On the more finished looking mockup, the 3 LNBs are rigidly fixed relative to one another. I do not think the setup will be any more difficult than the Dish 500 is now.

If this is the case then we're all in business! YEAH! :)

Here is the mockup I was referring to:
http://www.dishretailer.com/ts2003/4/MVC-009S.JPG

The problem is, we don't know if this reflects the final reality or not.

Some of the other mockups were quite a bit cruder. For example:
http://www.dishretailer.com/ts2003/4/MVC-011S.JPG

What secret school do installers go to that prevents "end users" from being able to install a SAT dish?

I understand that E* doesn't want hilljacks, ridgerunners, and goatropers trying to figger out how to git this dang thing working but must of us fellers are perty gud settin' these new fangled do-hickeys up.

</humor></sarcasm></end of comments>

I was thinking that it should not be much more difficult than the Dish 500 to install if you set the skew and elevation correctly and have the pole or mast plumb, when you get one satellite in, the rest should come in as well. The only additional thing you would have to adjust is the polarization on the lnbf in which requires it to be rotated in which would not be hard to do.

Stargazer said:
... The only additional thing you would have to adjust is the polarization on the lnbf in which requires it to be rotated in which would not be hard to do.

I don't even think that will be necessary. If the real thing looks at all like the unit they were showing on the Charlie Chat, the LNBs will be fixed relative to one another, so the polarization will be set at the factory.

I have been trying to figure out how they could prevent a self-install other than refuse to turn on the stations and bill you for them. There could be something cooked up but I don't see what or why.

I would HATE to have to wait for an installer. The soonest they could get an installer scheduled for my Dish 500 upgrade years ago was 2 MONTHS! I did it myself like when I had two separate dishes for locals and waited for the INSTALLER to dot the i's and cross the t's. They never did show up - and I took the day off - but since I had been up for two months maybe E* cancelled the install since I told them to turn it on, I set it up myself.

I don't know - I need some coffee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts