Can wireless Joey setup impact normal wifi function?

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
Forgive me if this has been answered, I did some searching but didn't find much.

Every since switching over to wireless Joeys three weeks ago, my internet signal in my home has been horrible. I did some basic internet testing, reset modem, reset router, tracert various sites, etc.....everything is normal. I did some speed testing with a direct connection to the modem, and I know my feed in is good, that was confirmed by my ISP. Reset the wireless router, all good. Changed channels, a little better but still an issue. Standard Netgear router, nothing special.

Could be a coincidence, but unlikely. So my question is.....can the wireless Joey be the cause of my problems? Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes it can. The cause can be many things, from your WiFi bandwidth being used up to one poor signal can affect all the other signals. A lot depends on your network setup. Router location, router type, router settings, etc.

Forgive me if this has been answered, I did some searching but didn't find much.

Every since switching over to wireless Joeys three weeks ago, my internet signal in my home has been horrible. I did some basic internet testing, reset modem, reset router, tracert various sites, etc.....everything is normal. I did some speed testing with a direct connection to the modem, and I know my feed in is good, that was confirmed by my ISP. Reset the wireless router, all good. Changed channels, a little better but still an issue. Standard Netgear router, nothing special.

Could be a coincidence, but unlikely. So my question is.....can the wireless Joey be the cause of my problems? Has anyone else had this issue?

You may be receiving RF interference but the wireless Joey is not on the same wireless network as the rest of your house even if you are using 802.11ac in your home. The Joey and the Dish AP form their own private network. The best thing would be to try to move your wifi router as far away as possible from both the Dish AP and wireless Joey. Not sure how Dish's gear works for picking channels they should look for least crowded but can't say that part for sure, so if your router is using 802.11ac check your manual. There typically would be a method to see not only what channels near by units are using but also to change the channel that it is using.

That depends how he has his Hopper hooked to his network. If he is using WiFi to connect his Hopper to the network then that certainly can affect his household WiFi performance.

That depends how he has his Hopper hooked to his network. If he is using WiFi to connect his Hopper to the network then that certainly can affect his household WiFi performance.

Hoppers are hooked up via plug-in Ethernet, meaning router --> wall plug adapter --> wall plug adapter --> receiver

You may be receiving RF interference but the wireless Joey is not on the same wireless network as the rest of your house even if you are using 802.11ac in your home. The Joey and the Dish AP form their own private network. The best thing would be to try to move your wifi router as far away as possible from both the Dish AP and wireless Joey. Not sure how Dish's gear works for picking channels they should look for least crowded but can't say that part for sure, so if your router is using 802.11ac check your manual. There typically would be a method to see not only what channels near by units are using but also to change the channel that it is using.

I have tried multiple locations for the router, still poor speed. Router is in an upstairs bedroom, Dish AP is downstairs other side of house. DISH AP is channel 138, I have used multiple channels on router that no neighbors are on, and still poor speed.

Yes if the hopper is connected to his Lan via WiFi that could impact overall network performance. He said he noticed the change however when adding wireless Joeys. The Hopper and Joeys form their own private network according to the specs I have read on them. If this is not the case then yes the wireless Joeys would impact overall WiFi performance.

I doubt that the Hopper has 2 WiFi separate access points built-in. A single WiFi access point can not operate in Ad-hoc mode (Hopper to Joey direct) and infrastructure mode (Hopper to router).at the same time. With only the Hopper on the network it uses (as an example) 10 Gig of bandwidth as it gets info from the internet. When the Joey is hooked up you now have the Hopper using 10Gig of bandwidth as it gets info from the internet and the Joey is now also using an additional 10 Gig of bandwidth as info is sent from the Hopper to the Joey.

His best bet would be to remove power from the Joey when he is having problems to see if that solves it. If it improves then a network upgrade may be in order.

Wireless Joey, as stated, establishes its own network using the less used and congested 5GHz band, so it does not share your home LAN or Wireless. However, the Wireless Joey can affect networks on the 5GHz band just as if as if a neighbor were using that band for its wireless. They are NOT on your network, but everyone around your house, along with Wireless Joey, competes for space on the same spectrum and possible channel sharing, but less so on the 5GHz band. That's the way to think of how the Wireless Joey may affect your network.

Have you disconnected the Wireless Joey(s) to see if that indeed is impacting your overall Wifi? Also, is your Router new? It is very common for older Routers even though rated for certain speeds to not be able to handle today's devices, specifically video related.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)