Can you force receiver to pull channels from one satellite only

ctajbm

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
The problem with my Charlotte HD locals dropping out appears to be because the Charlotte HD locals are offered through CONUS on 118 and spot beam on 61.5. I have dishes pointed to both 118 and 61.5 but obviously i don't get the 61.5 spot beam for Charlotte. For some reason my receivers occasionally try to pull the HD locals down from 61.5 and when they can't get a signal I get the dish network message. Is there anyway, other than disconnecting 61.5 from my switch, to get my receivers to only pull the HD locals from 118?
I don't want to disconnect 61.5 because there are a lot of HD channels on it that we watch and the signal is good. However i know that most of the HD programming on 61.5 is mirrored on 129. Do you think it likely that i would get any kind of signal from 129 in the Cayman (600 miles due south of Miami) or is that a no go?

I would guess it is a no go for 129 in the caymans. Nelson has posted footprint maps for most sats including 129 (current) not the new one going up, and it looks like a no go. From the looks of it the new 129 might be a possibility at your location.

Try putting 118 on port 3 and 61.5 on port 4 (and rerun checkswitch).

SOME posters have reported success with this while others have not. It's worth a shot.

Thanks. I'll try this. Right now 61.5 is on port 3 and 118 is on port 4.

Moving the sat inputs didn't seem to work (make any difference). Current setup is:

Port 1: 119
Port 2: 118.7
Port 3: 110
Port 4: 61.5

System still seems to default to 61.5 for the Charlotte HD locals, which are of course on spot beam so I can't get them, even though they are via CONUS on 118.7. I would have thought the system would take the input with the best signal strength but it's choosing zero over 47. Any other suggestions would be welcome.