Can you recommend an OTA antenna? Say from Circuit City or Best Buy?

I've tried many OTA antennas over the years, and the best, by FAR, I've used for OTA HD is the Radio Shack model U-75R, catalog number 15-2160.

I would post a link on their site, but this forum won't let me until I've got 15 posts. You can search and find it at radioshack.com.

I have this antenna on a short mast on my chimney, and I get 100% signal on all local HD channels on my VIP622 and 722, with no boosters, and the signal is split three ways! (Two VIP's, and my TV.) The station antenna's are about 25 miles away.

Just an amazing antenna if you need a uni-directional, outdoor, and it's only $29. (Was $17 when I bought mine two years ago.)

It's a no-gimmick antenna, doesn't say "HDTV" on it, which typically doubles the price, lol.

The OP said he lives in the country, 50 miles from Houston (I live in Austin, hey neighbor), so I think this would work excellent for him. Point it at Houston, and there you go.

Attachments

• pRS1C-2265531w345.jpg
    pRS1C-2265531w345.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 165
Here's the Radio Shack link to the U-75R antenna, RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Outdoor: 40" Boom Length, 17 Elements Outdoor Antenna for UHF-Only. I have that same one, but I'm less than 10 miles from the antenna farm in Dayton, so my experience with it isn't comparable to someone who's 30+ miles away.

One thing to keep in mind is this antenna is UHF only. Make sure all of the Houston (or Austin) locals, at least the ones you care about, will remain on UHF. Some are going to move to VHF after the analog shutoff and are only on UHF temporarily.

I have the Radio Shack U-75R and it will not adequately pick up a UHF station 25 miles away from me, though it is in my attic.

Can you recommend an OTA HD antenna? Say from Circuit City or Best Buy? For use with the VIP 722? I live in the country 50 miles from Houston.

jlaavenger,

Check out:

Houston, TX - OTA - AVS Forum

It’s an avs forum about OTA in the Houston area...you’ll like it.

BTW, I have a Channel Master 4228 on a rotator and I get stations from San Francisco and I’m over 100 miles away from their towers...I bought it at Fry’s for under $60.00...The 4228 rules!

Oh forgot to mention: Because I am relatively close to the towers (within 15-20 miles) and on a small hill I can get away with an old pair of rabbit ears up on top of the cabinet. The TV itself handles it just fine but the 622 has occasional loss-of-signal problems. Of course heavy rains cause problems but that goes for the dish also. If this really old set from a TV that is long gone will work, there is no such thing as an HDTV antenna.

I have the same Radio Shack antenna. I am watching stations
with it that are 45 miles from my house. The picture quality
is great.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts