Canadian needing broker for dishnet

SimpleSimon said:
<in my best Clinton impression>What's "get" "get"?

The satellite signal footprint reaches into Canada.

But why do you think he needs a broker?

I meant sign-up for DISH in Canada. I chose not to venture beyond my doubt.

Ok, general question. Not thread stealing, just currious. If Dish provides International programing, why do they not take subscriptions outside of the U.S.? Are there terrifs involved?

Mickdog said:
Ok, general question. Not thread stealing, just currious. If Dish provides International programing, why do they not take subscriptions outside of the U.S.? Are there terrifs involved?

"Tariffs."

Otherwise, I have no idea.

The programming and the people allowed to receive them are two separate and unrelated questions.

For whatever reasons, the current laws pretty much prevent E* and D* from allowing non-USA reception, and USA residents from receiving non-USA transmissions.

yup, but why would you want the american DBS. I'm not a canadien so I guess I wouldn't know, but I think more people want canadien DBS.

SimpleSimon said:
The programming and the people allowed to receive them are two separate and unrelated questions.

For whatever reasons, the current laws pretty much prevent E* and D* from allowing non-USA reception, and USA residents from receiving non-USA transmissions.

Here we go, time to open a can of worms.

I have always thought it is quite hypocritical: I live in what touts itself to be the bastion of freedom for the peoples of the world, yet I am not allowed to legally receive television broadcasts originating from other countries. Sounds more like the laws a communist dictatorship. Are "they" afraid that I will see something "they" don't think I should see?

On the surface, that' what it appears to be - but look at the amount of international programming E* offers.

The laws appear to be more protectionist of the DBS companies than censorship.

The orbit spot is a US spot, that has something to do with where the signal is licensed for. But because I believe some BUD programming for the U.S. comes off some of Canadas birds that may not be true anymore. The main reason is the programmers only license E* to sell that programming to U.S. customers.

You would not be able to get dish network in Canada, federal regulations prohibit it. The only thing you can do is move to the US or sign up for expressvu.

Mickdog said:
Yep, that's what I meant! Busch got in the way! (The Beer)

Yea, the beer, but this goes back decades. Canada allows US to advertise on Canadian, but put the clamp on US broadcasters getting canadian advertisers for years, except for Molsons or Labates.

Blocking US DBS in Canada was not a new law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts