Cancel install to stay new customer?

R

rolodoc

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 20, 2005
40
0
Hello. First post here. I ordered E* as new customer with lease of 942 HD-DVR after the Nov. tech chat thinking E* will continue HD at MPEG2 8PSK for a while. My installation is scheduled for Dec. 26th, but the last Charlie chat and info here has me thinking I should hold off until after CES and the Jan 9th HD Charlie chat to see if vip622 or 942+ is coming soon (within 3 months is my hope).

My question is that E* charged me the $250 and mailed me the 942 in advance, now sitting unopened at home. E* CSR tells me my account will not be activated until after the Dec. 26th installation. Does anyone know if I cancel the order, will I still get new customer deals in the future since the dish was never installed? I plan to order again as soon as the new MPEG4 HD-DVRs are available, most likely offered to new customers first. I hope I can get the $250 back by returning the unopened 942.
 
Last edited:
webbydude

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 6, 2005
5,339
1
Akron, Ohio, United States
My past experience shows that you will still be considered a new customer if you cancel up to and including the day of actual install. I'm sure a few of the retailers on here can give you more specifics
 
BrettTRay

BrettTRay

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2004
977
0
'Bama
If your in a small DMA there will probably be no need in waiting for the MPEG4 HD DVR considering that Dish does what we all think they will do. That is HD locals being the only MPEG4 content that they will have for a while. Being in a small DMA means you won't see them for a while anyway.
 
R

rolodoc

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 20, 2005
40
0
I am near San Francisco, so HD locals will be useful to me especially since I don't have good OTA reception.

Are there any retailers here that can help answer the cancellation question and also if the 942 can be returned for refund?
 
BrettTRay

BrettTRay

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2004
977
0
'Bama
I'm sure that you have the right to cancel and they can't just not give your money back. They might could charge you for shipping the 942 back though. Since your in San Francisco you might want to wait for the MPEG4 box to come out. If you decide to stay with the 942 and when the San Fran HD locals get lit up then I would think that Dish would give you a resonable offer to get the new box so I wouldn't let this hold me back on enjoying satellite television for the next few months but I know what you mean not wanting to spend that kind of money and then have to turn around and spend more. I'm stuck in the same boat you are in, get the 942 or wait on the 622vip? Your in a little bit tougher position than I am. My DMA is #40 so it will probably be awhile before i see HD locals.
 
R

rolodoc

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 20, 2005
40
0
How do you check the DMA market list? I am curious what number San Francisco is to see when HD local may come.

I am still debating whether to just go through with the installation and start enjoying E* with the 942 next week, or wait another who-knows how many more months for the 622vip.
 
R

rolodoc

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 20, 2005
40
0
RandallA said:
I think we are #6 here in the Bay Area. I don't remember where I saw it but will look for it.
Edit: I found it.
Here:
http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

Great. This list makes sense since the last Charlie Chat announced local HD for New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Atlanta and Chicago in January 2006, with 5 new cities each month. The only odd selection is Atlanta (#9) instead of Philadelphia (#4).

Would you expect San Francisco HD local in February 2006 since it is #6 on the DMA list? I read somewhere that West coast cities may have a slight delay, for reasons I don't remember.
 
Wog1970

Wog1970

Member
Oct 8, 2005
7
0
BrettTRay said:
....If you decide to stay with the 942 and when the San Fran HD locals get lit up then I would think that Dish would give you a resonable offer to get the new box so I wouldn't let this hold me back on enjoying satellite television for the next few months....


I wouldn't count on this. After two years a Dish subscriber I just recently purchased an HDTV. I've never requested or received an upgrade from Dish in the last couple of years. I called Dish explained I have a lovely new HDTV and would like HD programming w/DVR (942).

My only option... To purchase the 942 full retail ($700). I CSR shopped liked crazy, spoke to supervisors etc. No deal. They finally actually advised me just to cancel my service and wait 90 days and come back as a "new" subscriber to take advantage of the lease deal, which still requires the $250 upgrade fee (which I was warming up to).

Which is precisely what I did. But now that I'm not a Dish user anymore, we'll see if I actually go back.

Anyhoo... Bottom line... After my experience I would not hold my breath for some sort of receiver deal when MPEG4 and locals roll. UNLESS... The reason for Dish's firm stance on HD DVRs is because MPEG 4 is imminent and new receivers will be forthcoming soon. I hope this is the case anyway.
 
RandallA

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
10,556
68
San Francisco Bay Area
"Would you expect San Francisco HD local in February 2006 since it is #6 on the DMA list? I read somewhere that West coast cities may have a slight delay, for reasons I don't remember."

I definately hope so. I can't get ABC (KGO) using my indoor antenna, all others come in fine. So no Monday Night Football for me on HD. Only E* knows but if I were you, I would wait until all the dust settles down with the new channels and new receivers.
 
R

rolodoc

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 20, 2005
40
0
I called E* and did the next best thing to canceling the order. I rescheduled for January 16th, which will be after CES and HD Charlie Chat. I will cancel at that time if the vip622 and MPEG4 is announced for the near future. The CSR told me I can cancel and stay a new customer, and returning the unopened 942 for $250 refund is not a problem. I hope that is correct, since E* CSR are not always well informed.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
 
R

rolodoc

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 20, 2005
40
0
Looks like today's Retailer chat answered all my questions. Gonna call E* CSR today, cancel the order and send back the 942 for refund. Will call them back Feb. 1, 2006 and order the vip622 as new customer. Hopefully the plan will work.
 

Similar threads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top