Cancelation process?

David R

Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
I am moving to FL in 4 weeks and I will go back to cable mostly because the line up on my future local cable system is good and because of the potential for hurricanes, etc, I do not want to have to bother taking down the dish or realigning it and all that.

Can I call now and say that I want my service canceled as of a certain date?

I know they'll send me a box to return the equipment, how long does that take to arrive? I don't want to be without TV for a long time but I also don't want to risk leaving before the box arrives.

Any other suggestions to make the process go smooth?

Actually, after wilma (and some others), most dish customers could watch tv the next day (those that had electricity), while comcast cable is STILL trying to get some areas up, not trying to change your mind, just something you should be aware of, also you might not even be getting comcast (I think adelphia is around here too).

Also, comcasts underground cable system here in florida (at least in the counties I'm in or near), is horrid, everytime there is a rain event enough to saturate the soil, the cable will go out for hours, this happens ALOT around here, though, mostly in flood zones (alot of those here too).

Btw, I just left my dish up during wilma, I was in the one of the hardest hit places, and my dish didn't move from the winds (I do have mine on side of house and not roof though). I was watching satellite the same hour my lights came back on (7 days 11 hours later), while people nearby myself had to wait weeks for comcast to come back online.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty set on canceling anyway. I've been unhappy with Dish overall for the past few months since they do not carry LOGO and now they get rid of Lifetime (which I don't watch but my other half watches all the time) and now I hear that rates are going up once again. So I'll try cable for a while, if I can't stand it, there's always DirectTV.

David R said:
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty set on canceling anyway. I've been unhappy with Dish overall for the past few months since they do not carry LOGO and now they get rid of Lifetime (which I don't watch but my other half watches all the time) and now I hear that rates are going up once again. So I'll try cable for a while, if I can't stand it, there's always DirectTV.

Actually I should have stated I was with DirecTV, I just didn't think it important, and, I did not want to seem like I was pimping one service over another.

Good luck no matter what you choose. :)

David R said:
I am moving to FL in 4 weeks and I will go back to cable mostly because the line up on my future local cable system is good and because of the potential for hurricanes, etc, I do not want to have to bother taking down the dish or realigning it and all that.
I know they'll send me a box to return the equipment, how long does that take to arrive? I don't want to be without TV for a long time but I also don't want to risk leaving before the box arrives.
If you lease your equip....you must, return the receivers and LNB within 15 days of date of cancellation..DN will send you boxes with pre paid shipping labels enclosed....You must fill out the forms(lables) properly and either bring the boxes to the nearest UPS facilty or a UPS store to be shippped.. I also think that you have the option of calling UPS for a pickup at your home..I am not certain on the latter..Check w/ DIsh on that....

But what about early cancellation fees? I too, am thinking of leaving E*. I just can't find out how long my contract is for. If it's for 12 months, I think I'm good to go. I also didn't realize that you have to send the LNB back. Can someone send me a personal message with the info (if possible) THANKS

David R said:
I live in the Melbourne area of Fl. We suffered many hurricanes in 2004. My Dish never moved ( I installed it myself). My Pool screen enclosure was destroyed as was half my roof. After the Hurricanes passed I fired up the generator and had TV. My neighbors spent 2 weeks waiting for the cable to be working again.
Just a personal experience.

Last edited:
dishcomm said:
I also think that you have the option of calling UPS for a pickup at your home..I am not certain on the latter..Check w/ DIsh on that....

I think UPS charges you to schedule a pick up. No charge if you just give it to one of the UPS guys that you always see driving around on deliveries.

not trying to way you away from cable, but as a comcast tech support guy, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND sticking with dish. Yeah sure you'll have to take down your dish, but with comcast, to get hooked back on, the power on the power lines MUST be working to the house!!!! If you have a generator, you can watch tv from dish. Just an inside notice!

P.S. I only deal with Comcast Hi speed internet

damaged said:
Actually, after wilma (and some others), most dish customers could watch tv the next day (those that had electricity), while comcast cable is STILL trying to get some areas up, not trying to change your mind, just something you should be aware of, also you might not even be getting comcast (I think adelphia is around here too).
Also, comcasts underground cable system here in florida (at least in the counties I'm in or near), is horrid, everytime there is a rain event enough to saturate the soil, the cable will go out for hours, this happens ALOT around here, though, mostly in flood zones (alot of those here too).
Btw, I just left my dish up during wilma, I was in the one of the hardest hit places, and my dish didn't move from the winds (I do have mine on side of house and not roof though). I was watching satellite the same hour my lights came back on (7 days 11 hours later), while people nearby myself had to wait weeks for comcast to come back online.

Actually adelphia is being bought by comcast.....

mailman390 said:
But what about early cancellation fees? I too, am thinking of leaving E*. I just can't find out how long my contract is for. If it's for 12 months, I think I'm good to go. I also didn't realize that you have to send the LNB back. Can someone send me a personal message with the info (if possible) THANKS
Depends pn when yopu began you contract...Up to about 6 months ago Dish had a 12 month or 24 month agreement option..Thereafter all agreements became 18 months.. A quick call to Dish should get your answer.....Be advised! If you are still under your commitment you will be subject to fees for early cancellation..find your copy of the agreement you signed on day of install and read the text....BTW if you have the agreement copy, it will have indicated on it the term of your agreement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)