Cancelled Dish

My contract is up in January. At that point I will have been a Dish customer for 20 years. Seems I will save about $50/month by going with YouTube TV. I hate to do it but $600/yr is a significant amount of money to someone on a fixed income.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
My contract is up in January. At that point I will have been a Dish customer for 20 years. Seems I will save about $50/month by going with YouTube TV. I hate to do it but $600/yr is a significant amount of money to someone on a fixed income.

$50 a month with the same chanel offerings?

My experience with the streaming services has been that the picture is fine, but the DVR is not even close to my Wally's free DVR feature with an outboard 2 TB hard drive. I don't know about YouTube TV, but a lot of streaming providers make you pay extra for DVR and then force you to watch commercials on some recorded programs. On Dish, I record everything I watch in advance just to avoid the commercials. I even start watching recordings of college football games an hour after the game starts so I can skip through every commercial. Be sure you TRY OUT anything you are planning to switch to BEFORE you cancel what you have now. I think the free 2 TB DVR service on my Wally is far superior to any streaming provider's DVR. The Wally software and DVR interface looks basically identical to the Hopper3, but with only 2 sat tuners and 2 optional OTA tuners available. It's one way to save money if you like Dish.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

My experience with the streaming services has been that the picture is fine, but the DVR is not even close to my Wally's free DVR feature with an outboard 2 TB hard drive. I don't know about YouTube TV, but a lot of streaming providers make you pay extra for DVR and then force you to watch commercials on some recorded programs. On Dish, I record everything I watch in advance just to avoid the commercials. I even start watching recordings of college football games an hour after the game starts so I can skip through every commercial. Be sure you TRY OUT anything you are planning to switch to BEFORE you cancel what you have now. I think the free 2 TB DVR service on my Wally is far superior to any streaming provider's DVR. The Wally software and DVR interface looks basically identical to the Hopper3, but with only 2 sat tuners and 2 optional OTA tuners available. It's one way to save money if you like Dish.

This is great advice. Use an OTA tuner to save on locals and take a good look at the Flex Pack. Tough to beat the value in this scenario.

First, be careful you do not blow your data caps on the internet.

I have Comcast internet. I figured out my set up with Comcast is $148 (after promo $163) for internet/TV/RSN FEE/HD Fee/Broadcast TV and all of the boxes, and the city tax. For a comparable deal with DISH and my same Comcast cable this runs me $209. 10-15 is my commitment end date.

DISH is just not competitive anymore. And I didn't realize how uncompetitive until the last month.

I have Comcast internet. I figured out my set up with Comcast is $148 (after promo $163) for internet/TV/RSN FEE/HD Fee/Broadcast TV and all of the boxes, and the city tax. For a comparable deal with DISH and my same Comcast cable this runs me $209. 10-15 is my commitment end date.

DISH is just not competitive anymore. And I didn't realize how uncompetitive until the last month.
It helps when the internet is 80% profit for ISP.

I cut the cord (again) yesterday. Have had Sling and PS Vue in the past. At this stage I can’t even remember why I came back this time! Oh yeah. It was the $300 (maybe $200) gift card promo a couple of years ago. With us it used to be all about the money. Now it’s more about the reliability of DISH Anywhere or should I say unreliability? Last time we were at the beach the app just wanted to buffer too much on DVR playback. Probably because we only have 6 mbps upload speed at the home location with 70 mbps down at that location. No sense in keeping it if it just isn’t going to be reliable for us. Starting 10/1 we will have YTTV and Philo. Will still be paying less that what we were paying DISH, albeit not much. But, with the ability to stream from anywhere with a decent connection we will be happy. Both of their DVR’s will let you skip through commercials with no problems provided you are watching DVR and not VOD. But, even DISH has commercials while using VOD! I’m sure there will be some nuances we will have to get used to and we may be back sooner than we thing but one never knows if they don’t at least try. The offer from DISH was really a decent offer. About the same as we were paying but now we would have had to pay the taxes where we weren’t previously. After two years I would have expected a higher increase but if it just doesn’t work properly for us it didn’t really matter what they offered.

Absolutely;' Comcast invested in the lines and now they reap the benefit. I'd argue it's likely more than 80%!!

The phone guys never put any money into their system.

And satellite internet is not much of a reality. In theory cell towers might one day handle this, but not today.

It helps when the internet is 80% profit for ISP.

We have a 2 yr contract with Dish for the flex pack, they gave us a good deal to stay on cheaper then what we were paying last yer for the same channels. Now we are testing out a streaming service and so far (past 3 months) we have more channels then we can handle and for 1 tv it is running us way less than $100.00 a year. If this continues then in 2 years when the contract is up it will become a no-brainer what we will do.
Cable companies including Dish are pricing themselves out of business.

YouTube TV "Includes unlimited cloud DVR storage space and rewind, fast forward, and pause capability". I'm not sure there is much difference between 2 TB and unlimited.

My daughter has YouTube TV and from what I have used it, I'm impressed.

I have Spectrum and at the present time, there are no data caps due to restrictions from one of the mergers. They have asked the FCC to allow them to provide data caps because the customers want it - no kidding that is what they said. The FCC asked for comments and of course the customers did not want data caps but in today's environment anything is possible.

If I didn't have good internet service anyway, DISH would be competitive as would ORBY. However I am paying for 200 Mb/s service. I also have an AirTV box that I picked up at a hamfest for $15, so I get about 55 OTA channels. I added a disk drive to the AirTV to make it a DVR. It isn't as good as my 722 DVR but for the price I can live with less. Also I can sling the locals to one device when I'm away from home.

One of the main advantages of live streaming services is no contract. During months when there are no sports to watch, such as March to August of 2020, I can pause or cancel the service.

This is great advice. Use an OTA tuner to save on locals and take a good look at the Flex Pack. Tough to beat the value in this scenario.

Flex Pack just doesn't work for us. $55 for flex pack, $12 for National Action Pack to only get 2 of the ESPN networks, then $12 for the Regional Action Pack and then add the fees and taxes for another $22. It all comes out to more than $100 and I get less sports channels (ESPNU, Fox Regional Sports). YTTV is $65. Seems like it is easy to beat.

I've been testing streaming services over the past month or so. Before this I cut back from Dish 200 to 120+ to 120 and lately to Flex. Along with Netflix and Prime I have found I only watch a few other channels. I have settled on Sling TV with the Blue subscription whic have all of the channels I watch. I don't need to hear all the discussion about the "advantages" of keeping Flex. My $35 Blue package is half of what my $68 Flex package was.

I owned my H3 so figured it would be easy to cancel and would keep the receiver just in case I decide to reup on Dish or I could sell it. I called to cancel and Dish is stating the H3 is leased. I even have the receipt for it from when I bought it in 2017. No go, they claim they have no record of this receiver being sold and I have to return it. I can't resell it because they will now claim it is stolen. If I don't send it back they will change me $360. It's a no woin for me on that issue.

But Dish can bet that I will never ever become a Dish subscriber again. I know, for now, I have Sling TV but will be keeping an eye out for other compairable services and will switch as soonas I find something suitable.

I've been testing streaming services over the past month or so. Before this I cut back from Dish 200 to 120+ to 120 and lately to Flex. Along with Netflix and Prime I have found I only watch a few other channels. I have settled on Sling TV with the Blue subscription whic have all of the channels I watch. I don't need to hear all the discussion about the "advantages" of keeping Flex. My $35 Blue package is half of what my $68 Flex package was.

I owned my H3 so figured it would be easy to cancel and would keep the receiver just in case I decide to reup on Dish or I could sell it. I called to cancel and Dish is stating the H3 is leased. I even have the receipt for it from when I bought it in 2017. No go, they claim they have no record of this receiver being sold and I have to return it. I can't resell it because they will now claim it is stolen. If I don't send it back they will change me $360. It's a no woin for me on that issue.

But Dish can bet that I will never ever become a Dish subscriber again. I know, for now, I have Sling TV but will be keeping an eye out for other compairable services and will switch as soonas I find something suitable.
If you have the receipt simply tell them that and fax it to them. That will fix the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)