Cancelling Dish for DirecTV - What do I do?

taappel

Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Central MN
I just cancelled my Dish account today and have a DirecTV install scheduled for tomorrow. When I spoke with Dish, they told me the only thing I need to send back to them is the receiver. They said they will send me a box with shipping label and that I should mail only the receiver back.

My question is, is there anything else (Dish, remotes, LNB, etc.) that I need to send back? I don't want there to be charges on my final bill because I didn't send something back I should have.

Definitely send back the remotes. Usually they want the LNBs back too, but you may get out of this if you claim it's unsafe to unscrew it e.g.due to weather or infirmities.

Sorry to see that you decided to leave and I hope that in the future we can provide you with service again. Whatever your reasons are for leaving I want to make sure that you are taken care of and have the easiest transition from our end. As far as what equipment is required to be sent back, there is a packing slip that comes with the boxes to return the equipment. If there is any portion of that packing slip that cannot be grabbed easily, holler at me. You can also PM me a phone number and I will check to see that equipment is expected to be shipped back as of now, and handle any concerns for you. Let me know if the LNB/Switch are not easily accessible and I will make sure to handle that for you. In most cases the "switch" is actually the LNBF, even though they list it separately. Remotes and receivers are the big concern.

Ok, Thanks. They told me not to worry about the LNBs, since we have a bunch of snow here and they didn't want me climbing on the roof. The thing is, my dish is mounted on the side of my deck, so getting to it isn't a problem. I just want to make sure they don't come back to me in the spring asking me to send back the LNBs. I'd rather just deal with it now.

I'm assuming that the DirecTV guy will be able to use the same spot to mount their dish since the wiring is all set up. Do you think I should take the E* dish down, or will the installer do that?

That's really up to you.. If its not a problem to get the LNBF I am sure that we would appreciate the item back. DirecTV may be able to use the same mounting but it really depends on what the tech says when he or she arrives. Personally I would take it down if it was not an issue, and then ask if he can use the same mounting holes. I believe a Phillips screwdriver and a 7/16 wrench are still all that is required to remove it. At the end of the day though, the choice is yours.

There is a good-to-very good chance that Direct can use the same mount. (Depending on Line of Sight, of course) If the Direct guy intends to reuse the existing cables (if he can), he will remove the LNB and the dish.

I agree with you, go ahead and throw it in the box along with the receiver.

BTW, Dish-to-Direct and Direct-to-Dish conversions are very common.

There is a good-to-very good chance that Direct can use the same mount. (Depending on Line of Sight, of course) If the Direct guy intends to reuse the existing cables (if he can), he will remove the LNB and the dish.
The D* dish uses a bigger mast than a D500 or Wa dish. I think an EA dish uses the same size but a D* HD dish uses a 2" mast

Switch for over the air

Why no On Demand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts