cancelling dish question

psal2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I got Dish around 7/29/07. Is there a 1-yr commitment or can I cancel at anythime. I have a 622 and 625 but need to use an antenna in the Harrisburg, PA area to get the HDs. I am thinking of getting Direct because they offer HD is this area and Dish doesn't look like they plan to anytime soon.

We record a lot of prime time and I can get NBC and Fox off the same direction but ABC and CBS require a change in the antanna direction and if we are not here to do that, only the Dish local SD picture is available. It sucks to know that the picture quality is there but we can't get it unless we move the direction of the big antenna.

Any suggestions or comments to the cancelling?

Thanks,
Pete

Call Dish and ask if you are under a contract.. Some people sign contracts. Others don't. And Dish is the only one that can answer your question. Good luck. DirectV is good too, although you will miss your 622 DVR. The HR2X units are okay. But they are not near as good as the 622. And if you can hang on until the next quarter, DirecTV is going to be giving away their HD-DVR unit. (with qualifying programming and commitment of course)

I got Dish around 7/29/07. Is there a 1-yr commitment or can I cancel at anythime. I have a 622 and 625 but need to use an antenna in the Harrisburg, PA area to get the HDs. I am thinking of getting Direct because they offer HD is this area and Dish doesn't look like they plan to anytime soon.

We record a lot of prime time and I can get NBC and Fox off the same direction but ABC and CBS require a change in the antanna direction and if we are not here to do that, only the Dish local SD picture is available. It sucks to know that the picture quality is there but we can't get it unless we move the direction of the big antenna.

Any suggestions or comments to the cancelling?

Thanks,
Pete
You should have been aware of a commitment at the time. You either have one, or you paid an extra $50.00 not to. The other question is if you were, if it was one year or 18 mos. In the beginning of '07, it was one year. Near the end of the year it was 18 mos. I do not know when that kicked in. Regardless, it costs $13.00 per month remaining to cancel.

Oh they are leased...no selling the boxes. I just wish that E* would come into Harrisburg with HD locals. Any idea when that might be. I looked at the list they had (somewhere) and didn't see anything close to Harrisburg, PA.

I will also call them to see if I am under contract. I really don't remember. Might not cancel right away and maybe wait for the free HD-DVR that D* will give away next quarter anyway.

Thanks,
Pete

I think the cancellation fee has been reduced to $10/month. At least, that's what they told me when I up'd my ViP622 to a ViP722.

I'm quite happy to use an OTA antenna where I'm at. That way, I not only get more channels that either satco provides, I get ALL the subchannels. But if you're not that happy, so be it. If there's that kind of freebie coming next quarter, it would be worth the wait, IMHO. Of course, I'm not leaving Dish and their great DVRs. Not even for Fios.

I admit the DVR is nice. Got to look at the whole picture. Right now I am using Verizon FIOS for internet, no TV available in my area yet. I have Vonage for phone, not counting the cell phones. And E* for TV. When it is all added up, that is about $170/month. Maybe the Comcast triple play for $99/month is the better idea. Of course, to get everything I have, it will cost more.

I will wait until E* makes the next announce wave of cities. The OTA works now.

Thanks,
Pete

I admit the DVR is nice. Got to look at the whole picture. Right now I am using Verizon FIOS for internet, no TV available in my area yet. I have Vonage for phone, not counting the cell phones. And E* for TV. When it is all added up, that is about $170/month. Maybe the Comcast triple play for $99/month is the better idea. Of course, to get everything I have, it will cost more.

I will wait until E* makes the next announce wave of cities. The OTA works now.

Thanks,
Pete

FIOS just rolled out in my area. During the first month, Verizon was offering bundled TV, Internet and Unlimited Phone for $90. The price has since raised to $100. That would still save you $70 per month, or $840 per year.

I don't know if something like this exists but, has anybody heard of a box you could add to two antenna's and have them combine into one? If it did exist that might be a solution.

Antenna #1 NBC and Fox
Antenna #2 ABC and CBS
Both plugged into the "magic" box
and the output of all 4 channels into the input of the 622.

I'll see what google can find.

I've read that it can be done, as I understand it you get two directional antennas and point each one in the correct direction and then place filters on each antenna for the channels it is not intended to receive and then combine them into one feed line. They make omnidirectional antennas, you would have to check antennaweb to see if it would work in your area.

It would be nice if Dish would add SmartAntenna support to its next model, some of the CECB boxes support it. The smart antenna uses feed back from the tuner to electronically point itself.

I am lucky and all of my local stations are on the same mountain.

Yes. 18 month contract. I just wish that locals were all HD without antenna. I am still evaluating whether to go to Comcast, DTV or just stay put. I do like the 622 but we have had to reset it 5 times in 2 weeks now. We keep losing the sound from it. But that is another issue.

Thanks,
Pete

Yes. 18 month contract. I just wish that locals were all HD without antenna. I am still evaluating whether to go to Comcast, DTV or just stay put. I do like the 622 but we have had to reset it 5 times in 2 weeks now. We keep losing the sound from it. But that is another issue.

Thanks,
Pete

Why don't you "move" to Shippensburg or around that area. I read somewhere that that area qualifies for both DC and Pa locals. I'm in the same boat as you but can pick up Baltimore locals with an antenna no problem. I also have qam through Comcast for Pa locals. I wish E would get their butts moving on Harrisburg.

I don't know if something like this exists but, has anybody heard of a box you could add to two antenna's and have them combine into one? If it did exist that might be a solution.

Antenna #1 NBC and Fox
Antenna #2 ABC and CBS
Both plugged into the "magic" box
and the output of all 4 channels into the input of the 622.

I'll see what google can find.

Not a perfect solution but I have used a Rat Shack A/B switch for something similiar. Its a remote controlled switch.

If your locals are far enough away, you shouldn't need anything fancier than a splitter to combine the two antennas. If they are close, you should be able to get away with an omnidirectional antenna.

If you live in an area where an omni won't work, you can usually get some sort of tank (pre-tuner) that will filter for only the channels that you want from each direction.

Using a common splitter to join two antennas without properly tuning them usually results in less signal, not more all over.

Smart antennas work OK in an urban setting, but if you are 30+ miles from the source, they do not have the cojones to pull in very good signal.

Just cancel them! You will save money any way you slice it with Directv! dish has terrible HD now that they dropped Voom HD! I calculated my cost and I will save over $600 the first year, enough to buy a nice Sony Blu Ray player! Then I will save enough to byy 2-3 blu ray disc' each month!

dish network needs to be taught a lesson for the way they treat their top tier customers by dropping Voom HD!

Psal2 the only suggestion I have is to also send a written letter about how dish sucks now that they dropped Voom HD! I hope more of you drop dish, I am and have already got over a dozen of my friends to do the same! eat that dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)