Cancelling NHL CI

nlk10010

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Nassau County NY
I subscribed to CI last season but I don't want to renew.

Of course (I understood this would happen) it was set to auto-renew (and a $159 charge was added to my online account) but I also received a letter that said I could have it removed if I called before Oct. 16th.

Which I did (on Thursday). Asked the rep to confirm it was removed and she said it was.

I checked in again online on Friday and the charge was still there. So I tried a chat. After carefully explaining that I wanted a sports subscription removed from my account the rep promptly told me she couldn't remove a PPV once it was ordered (I have a log of the chat, makes for hilarious if frustrating reading). I explained I had the letter, the season hadn't started, etc., whereupon she told me she couldn't help me and disconnected. The next rep I tried DID seem to understand and told me it would be removed but I have little faith.

Has anyone here successfully canceled an auto-renew sports subscription (I can't imagine this hasn't happened) and what was your strategy? How long did it take for the change to be reflected in your online account?

Is this a job for.........SUPERMAN (AKA ceo@echostar.com)?

Thanks for any info. I simply don't want to keep calling and have Dish ignore me and insist on payment once the season starts.

I've had to talk to customer reps two times about getting mine canceled! The first time they said, it was taking care of..That was a few days ago, and of course I come on today and it's still up there..So I go on the chat a try again today...I guess I'll see if it is up there tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I pay with my check card instead of paying it through my bill, so that's why I cancel. I would rather go ahead and pay it off in full, since I have the money around this time of the year..:up

It took me a few times to get the NBA package removed. They just want to hang on to your money. Just be persistent.

Thanks to both of you for the information.

Yes, I'll try one more online chat before utilizing ceo@echostar.com.

I know that even with proof (i.e. the chat logs) that I asked for the package to be removed in plenty of time I will have to file a complaint with the BBB to get this straightened out (that's why I NEVER would use autopay with Dish).

Another great example of good behavior (following instructions and cancelling before the deadline) being punished while bad behavior (lying to the customer and not removing the package) is rewarded. There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

I have been trying to cancel NHL and NBA for several months. I first started out with regular CSR's. I then tried the ceo e-mail which i thought had worked. The NBAtv and NHL network feeds that go with the packages disappeared and they were removed from the past purchases.
A few weeks later I got a charge for the NHLCI just like the OP. I called tech support to see if they could figure it out and the charge was removed. I will probably have a charge show up for NBA when the auto charges start for that.
I will never order a sports package from these idiots again.

I think E* really hates me. After getting the charge removed last month for NHLCI, a charge for payment 2 of 3 showed up today. I'm supposed to get a credit for that too.
I have tried since July to get this cancelled using all types of CSR and the ceo e-mail.
Anybody have Charlies personal office number. Maybe he knows someone smart enough to run the Dish computers.
Sorry to bring up an old thread,but I've never been this frustrated with D* or E*,and I have a customer of both since they started.

I had a similar problem. I usually get CI but decided that I probably am going to enough games as a season ticket holder for the Kings (will still probably do a half season of CI).

I had the auto-renewal going and the first charge hit. I called up E* and got a nice girl who was all too happy to cancel it and credit my money. Next billing cycle I check and no credit and yet another charge for the second installment of CI.

So I call again and get a guy who tells me that it's TOO LATE to cancel!! Not only that, but he says they have no record of me calling before to cancel. After I gently explain that he does not know what he is talking about and that the NHL season hasn't even started and of course I can still cancel, he puts me on hold to go talk to his supervisor. He comes back, apologizes and gives me two credits for the $53 they have charged me. I just checked my online bill and they did indeed do it. I guess two calls isn't bad but man, they need to at least make records of issues when people call in. That's CS 101 crap.

Today was my 4th call to Dish to get CI cancelled and I still don't know if it's cancelled. What fun.

We can only control certain things.

Use chat and keep the logs. Check online after a day and if the credit doesn't show then do another chat. The key for me was, when I asked to cancel, the rep looked at my account and told me that "it was already cancelled".

It may be that the payments have a life of their own; "cancel" to a CSR means credit what shows and they don't know how to cancel the whole thing.

OTOH, I'd better go and check MY online account again to see if there's a new CI charge. I wouldn't put it past them.

Again, keep the chat logs, keep the letter that tells you the date by which you can cancel and, if worse comes to worst, don't pay, file a BBB claim and write the Attorney General of your State. Should do something but if it doesn't at least you've tried everything.

Good Luck (and to me, I might need it :) ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)