Cancelling TV2 timers

redelephants

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Panhandle Florida
Anyway to cancel a recording that has started on tv2 from tv1 while in dual mode? For instance I have a timer set to record on tv 1 and 2 at the same time but want to change the channel on tv1 and interrupt the tv2 timer. I have noticed that when this happens it forces me to cancel the tv1 timer. Just started using dual mode as I have been using single mode for a very long time. I am now forced to use dual mode to keep from paying another receiver fee on new tv.

I would guess that if you viewed the program recording on the other tuner from the My DVR menu and pressed stop, you could indirectly stop a recording.

Anyway to cancel a recording that has started on tv2 from tv1 while in dual mode? For instance I have a timer set to record on tv 1 and 2 at the same time but want to change the channel on tv1 and interrupt the tv2 timer. I have noticed that when this happens it forces me to cancel the tv1 timer. Just started using dual mode as I have been using single mode for a very long time. I am now forced to use dual mode to keep from paying another receiver fee on new tv.
No way to do it if you remain in Dual Mode. You could go to the front panel and change to Single Mode, I believe, but that can cause chaos. :)

that might work for the actual timer. but what if it's already fired??? i think that's what the OP was asking...

Deleting the TV2 timer from TV1 will also stop the recording on TV2, but if it's a recurring timer you probably wouldn't want to do that as you would have to remember to keep going back to TV2 and recreating the deleted timer(s).

(I hit post after JCarais, I was testing to try to figure out how I did it before)
I had noticed after getting L685 it was much harder to stop one.

The only way I've found was to go into the schedule, bring up the currently recording item in the schedule, then go to its timer, and delete it. It comes up and states its recording, and asking if I want to stop the recording and delete the timer.

I then have to create the timer again. :( but it works.. unfortunately not as easily as before.. another stupidity dish took from the firmware.. (ie, "Stop Rec." button when going into the recording in the DVR menu)

Deleting the TV2 timer from TV1 will also stop the recording on TV2, but if it's a recurring timer you probably wouldn't want to do that as you would have to remember to keep going back to TV2 and recreating the deleted timer(s).
actually many receivers default to TV2 when setting up timers (single or dual mode).

Last edited:
The only way I've found was to go into the schedule, bring up the currently recording item in the schedule, then go to its timer, and delete it. It comes up and states its recording, and asking if I want to stop the recording and delete the timer.

actually many receivers default to TV2 when setting up timers (single or dual mode).
Record Plus is an option only in Dual Mode.

In Dual Mode with a timer in progress on TV2 I do not believe that TV1 can in fact delete a timer on progress on TV2.

Record Plus is an option only in Dual Mode.

In Dual Mode with a timer in progress on TV2 I do not believe that TV1 can in fact delete a timer on progress on TV2.
you may not believe it.. but as I edited my post to explain .. I was in fact testing while the previous person hit post on their's about deleting the timer.

I'm in dual mode ... and get the option to manually choose a TV ... excuse... "TUNER" to have record. In *SINGLE* mode ... it still defaults to Tuner 2 ... or *ANY* available tuner *if* there are multiple items on at the same time.

So ... on a 722k ... running L685 .. you can delete an active timer recording on TV2 (excuse me again, I mean TUNER 2) from TV1's view of the DVR. Still doesn't change the fact that it was *MUCH* easier before.. where you only needed to go into the event that was recording in your DVR screen .. and one of the buttons was marked "Stop Rec" as in stop recording.. again.. dish just took it away.. (idiots)

Still doesn't change the fact that it was *MUCH* easier before.. where you only needed to go into the event that was recording in your DVR screen .. and one of the buttons was marked "Stop Rec" as in stop recording.. again.. dish just took it away.. (idiots)

I don't believe you were ever able to stop a recording in dual mode across tuners even before the software upgrade. If we're talking about the same thing I can recall many times I was recording a show on TV2 but wound up watching it on TV1 at the same time. When the show was over (but there was still a few minutes of extra recoring time) it would always give me a message that I couldn't stop or delete the recording if I treied (from TV1 anyway).

Has anyone set up the Aux (or VCR) buttons to be TV2 on the TV1 remote. You could then view the TV2 RF or YRW lines on your main TV and just control it. You would need to be in the receiver room and have non-RF signals recognized by the receiver as TV2 commands. You also need to find the commands to set up Aux as a second receiver--HELP, I'm still working on that. Of course, you can simply use the second remote, which unfortunately is not always handy. FWIW.
-Ken

I don't believe you were ever able to stop a recording in dual mode across tuners even before the software upgrade. If we're talking about the same thing I can recall many times I was recording a show on TV2 but wound up watching it on TV1 at the same time. When the show was over (but there was still a few minutes of extra recoring time) it would always give me a message that I couldn't stop or delete the recording if I treied (from TV1 anyway).
as is currently.. you have to delete the timer... it will prompt you that the timer is currently recording.. and answer yes to stopping that recording.. *then* you can delete the program. And then too you'll have to re-create the timer if you want the timer. (ie. New Episodes)

The "Stop Rec" button use to appear for me, when I'd go into a recording in progress on Tuner2 .. ie bring up dvr, open and start playback of that Tuner2 recording, then go back into the DVR button, back into that dvr event, and the third button down *use to* change to "stop rec" ... perhaps that was a "feature" before L685 on the 722k ... and when they rolled out the firmware updates (with past 2 versions L683/L685) they may have pulled that option *out of* control from TV1 and made it so that Tv1 could only get that "Stop rec" button on TV1/Tuner 1 recordings in progress while in dual mode.

And another way.. if you have Sling features.. (Sling adapter or 922) is to open up Dish Remote Access ... View Live TV, and then change the channel there... wait for a minute and it will come back with "this will cancel the recording do you wish to continue" ...

In any case, its not as easy as using Remote 2.. but it can be done .. and this would be a "feature request" now to dish.. to make the Stop Rec button appear *regardless* of which tuner is recording and regardless of Single/Dual mode.

In any case, its not as easy as using Remote 2.. but it can be done .. and this would be a "feature request" now to dish.. to make the Stop Rec button appear *regardless* of which tuner is recording and regardless of Single/Dual mode.
Historically this not only was not a feature but the capability was intentionally not incorporated. Many of us thought that the reason for this was TV1 should not be viewed as a "primary" or "superior" viewing location. In some locations TV2 is the primary viewing location for one user and TV2 for another. Allowing each of these two persons to create their own timers and manage their own viewing content independent of the other person was viewed as important.

This is a "feature request" that does not need implementation as far as some are concerned. YMMV.

This is a "feature request" that does not need implementation as far as some are concerned. YMMV.
And I'd completely disagree ... if they really wanted to enable functions.. then they would have made it so that User2/TV2/Tuner2 would have a completely separate list of timers... and in every access type would have included timer id's that told whether the timer was created by user1 or user2 ... DRA, DO, both treat timers as a sole unified list. Point of contention would be the desire to control BOTH tuner's timers from BOTH remotes regardless of at TV1 or TV2 ... it becomes the users *AT* the controls to do the right things.. perhaps dish could make it with a double prompt (your tv didn't setup this timer to record, are you sure you want to stop this recording?) or could offer pass code options to protect a timer and or recording.. the issue though, is that dish never properly separated Tuner1/TV1 from Tuner2/TV2 simply because the fact that they were trying to redress "record one, while watching another" as a selling feature. Thats from having had the X12's 512/612 ... dual tuner single out .. dish only did the next best thing by having two independent outputs to cut back on their hardware ... service two tv's from one box rather than two boxes for two tv's..

But anyway.. it doesn't matter ... it is a feature that would have usefulness for those that need it, its not detrimental to other users, so no reason not to have it.

And I'd completely disagree ... if they really wanted to enable functions.. then they would have made it so that User2/TV2/Tuner2 would have a completely separate list of timers... ....
Oh nonsense. On numerous occasions in the last couple of months you've come to these forums and stated a way that you think things should be done. No problem with that. But when folks point out another point of view you dismiss those views.

It is a fact that at least some of us want TV2 to be able to set timers on TV2 and TV 1 to be able to set timers on TV1 and neither TV be able to stop those timers on the other TV from completing. And yes, at least some of us want to be able to share those existing recordings on either TV.

And, yes, our votes for the status quo do count. lol

When I said, "This is a "feature request" that does not need implementation as far as some are concerned. YMMV." you said, " And I'd completely disagree..."

What, "as far as some are concerned" can not have that opinion? :rolleyes:

Oh nonsense. :rolleyes:
in what you said quoted right there ... that much I agree.
nit picking and presuming context isn't a strong point to be made. as is, not asking you to jump on my bandwagon nor requiring it ... for the rest, stop presuming please that I mean you to say that you and others can't have differing opinions ...

Example TV1 should not presumed superior? When in fact it is.. you have no HD output options for TV2 on any of the current HD capable receivers. So how would you presume dish meant for TV2 to be a priority anywhere? They don't they never did .. and again I point to the default setting for Record Plus - TV2 such that they presumed TV2 (tuner 2) to be a less devoted output.. right?

Either way .. there's no detriment to having the feature enabled to stop *any* recording on *any* tuner from *any* remote ... the time will come you would be in another room, and find an item recording and want to stop it .. for what ever reason ... and because of the current setup, end up having to find that other remote control to get it stopped (or use one of the work arounds) ... any other desire would be best served by dish allowing users to lock out or make a "master" controller option ... lockouts with passcodes probably being the easier option for them to accomplish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)