Can't hook up 3rd TV.

epihammer

Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I was recently setup with Dish Network and have a DishDVR 625 running two tv's. I have just purchased a second receiver so that I can add a 3rd tv. Here is my current setup. I have the DVR (tv1) in my family room and it is controlling (tv2) which is in my kids toy room. I want to move (tv2) into my bedroom and then place the new receiver into the kids toy room. However, I can't seem to get the connection in my bedroom to see the DVR (tv1). I believe it has to do with the setup outside in my cable box on my house but am unsure. I have attached a bitmap of the box setup. If you could look it over and give me some insight I would appreciate it very much. If you need more info just let me know. I do recall the guy who installed everything saying that my coax cables where split in the attic. (Just thought I'd better add that, it might help.)

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• Satellite HookUp.bmp
    727.4 KB · Views: 345
are you still getting regular cable ("cable from street")? or did you have your cable shut off and are only using satellite? it might also help if you re-labeled the cables that say "cable from house" and tell where they go to exactly.

No, the regular cable has been turned off. The actual cables are not labeled. I just labeled how they look outside at the box i the image. But I do plan of labeling them if I can figure out which one's are which. I don't know how to figure out which ones are which.

here is my guess...
on the STVC switch, the line labed "in/out" goes to the sat. reciever. then on the back of the sat. receiver, the TV2 output is ran back through this same line to the STVC. so the line labeled VHF/UHF goes to your kids bedroom. on the SV-3G switch, the "cable from house" there is probably your master bedroom (which is currently hooked up to nothing, hence no signal).

i am not sure how you will hook up a second sat. reciever without doing another cable run from the dish to the reciever. but temporarily, you could get TV2 in both bedrooms by running a small cable from the UHF/VHF out of the STVC and into the SV-3G (disconnect the "cable from street"). then connect the current line that goes into the VHF/UHF into the SV-3G.

and to just mess you up completely :) , you could get behind your 625 and use a splitter(combiner) to combine TV1 and TV2 into one coax cable that would then connet to that other cable. then on the two tvs (kids and master) you would just change channels to switch between TV1 and TV2. then, for example, you could buy a 6.0 UHF remote that could control TV1 from the master bedroom (while the kids use TV2 and the UHF remote you already have). but first things first...

others will need to advise you on what to do with that other reciever. you will probably need to call the installer again to have him hook it up.

anyway possible to get a new wire from the dish to your kids room?

if not, you are probably going to end up in the attic looking for the splitter, and buying a couple more diplexers to backfeed over both lines.

If you can't run a new wire into the kid's room, you honestly are probably best off finding an installer and letting him trace the wiring. We have tools and the knowhow to do that quickly and efficiently. Plus if that 1 wire does go into the attic and then into a splitter, you are probably going to end up removing the splitter, and installing a couple more diplexers

did the installer run a new wire to the kids room? or did he use existing wiring?

All connections were done using the existing wiring. I climbed into the attic and had a fun time following all three wires. The bad news is I didn't see any splitters. It looked as if all three wires were ran separately and the only splitters were in the cable box outside. I was wondering if I replaced the STVC connector with a 3-way splitter and brought the one cable wire that's by it's self on the SV-3G over, would this work if there truly isn't a splitter up in the attic???

The latest...
In all of this I forgot that I am still getting my internet through cable. Hence, the solo cable on the 3-way splitter. Which is also in my bedroom and is also the 3rd TV I am trying to hook up. So my problem now is what do I do to keep my internet and still get a satellite signal through that wire? I did try using the 3-way splitter for all three connections and I did receive a signal at all locations. Thanks for all the help thus far.........I am getting closer.

you will need to get another 2 way splitter(combiner) to combine the "wire from street" with the UHF/VHF out of the STVC. then run that combined wire into the intput of the SV-3G.

Almost there I think...

After looking things over and reading all the comments I think I am on the right path. I have attached another bitmap showing what I think is the correct hook ups. Please review it and let me know if I am on the right path. Just a reminder that I want the Family Room DVR to control Master Bedroom and the Kids Room will have its own receiver. Thanks Again for all the help.

John

Attachments

• New Satellite HookUp.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 291
i have attached a new image. yours wasn't quite right. also, earlier there wasn't a seperate line going out for the cable modem (does this line exist? it is probably the same line that runs to the bedroom and there is a splitter in the bedroom).

remember, this layout (in the image) will get you TV2 in the master and kids bedroom for right now. as i mentioned earlier, with another splitter, you can get TV1 to go to the bedrooms also.

to get the new reciever you bought working, you will need someone to run a new line from the DISH to the bedroom where the new reciever will go. you can probably use the existing line that runs to the bedroom if it is an RG-6 cable (which not all coax cable is), but you will still need to run another coax cable from the DISH to this distrubution box then. (others here can correct me if i am wrong, but i assume you will need to run a new line. you might be able to buy a switch of some kind and use the existing line from the dish. i am still new to the dish stuff.)

Attachments

• New Satellite HookUp.JPG
    New Satellite HookUp.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 343
A) If you want a second reciever hooked up, you will need a second line from the dish, no execptions.

B) You will need a second line to the room with your cable internet, trying to share the line will give you more problems with your internet than you will want.

Moral of the story? Call Dish Network, pay the $59 service installation fee, and have someone who knows what they are doing come out and install it for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts