Can't seem to add a particular digital OTA channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jeraden

Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
Hoping someone can help me...

I just got my 811 yesterday and am already having a problem. I did the DTV automatic scan and it picked up all my local digital channels except CBS. I went in and selected Add DTV channel to add it manually. I key in the transmit channel (25), and it says it has 90% signal strength, I type in a name for it, but then it never shows up in the actual list of channels (doesn't show in either the program guide list or the "add local channels" screen. I can't tune to it directly either, I'm just taken to the next closest channel. Anyone know what I need to do to get it added? Its actually the strongest channel we have in my city and I have no problem getting it on my 6000, my hipix card, or my other OTA tuner.

Also, I went back and did an automatic scan again. While its checking the channels, as soon as it hits 25 it increments the found channels by one (its actually the first one, the next isn't until 38). But it still never adds it to the the channel listing. It doesn't display it in the list of found channels. At the end of the scan it says it found 7 channels, but the list is only showing 6 unique channels (although 3 of them have multiple subchannels which add up to 10).

I believe 25 should map to 002-1. When I do the manual channel add, I type 25 in at the top, but then the channel display at the bottom also shows 25. Not sure if it should show 25 or 2 there. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem or not. Also, the automatic scan finds 4 subchannels for 38 (01 through 04), but the only one it actually seems to save is 38-01. My 53 and 22 both have 2 subchannels and it saves those correctly.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here or how I can get around it? Not being able to get CBS is kind of a big blow to me. I don't really care about the channel 38 subchannels because they are all the same currently (although my 6000 can get to all 4 of them).

Jeraden said:
Hoping someone can help me...

Also, I went back and did an automatic scan again. While its checking the channels, as soon as it hits 25 it increments the found channels by one (its actually the first one, the next isn't until 38). But it still never adds it to the the channel listing. It doesn't display it in the list of found channels. At the end of the scan it says it found 7 channels, but the list is only showing 6 unique channels (although 3 of them have multiple subchannels which add up to 10).

I believe 25 should map to 002-1. When I do the manual channel add, I type 25 in at the top, but then the channel display at the bottom also shows 25. Not sure if it should show 25 or 2 there. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem or not. Also, the automatic scan finds 4 subchannels for 38 (01 through 04), but the only one it actually seems to save is 38-01. My 53 and 22 both have 2 subchannels and it saves those correctly.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here or how I can get around it? Not being able to get CBS is kind of a big blow to me. I don't really care about the channel 38 subchannels because they are all the same currently (although my 6000 can get to all 4 of them).

Jerden - I'm having the same trouble you are with my 811 and KDKA-DT, Channel 25. On Channel 38, WQED-DT, somehow QED adds the encooding for 3 subchannels to it's main channel, but I have never seen them broadcast anything on any of the subchannels. On my Zenith integrated HD TV, I can tune into each of the subchannels, but only 13-3 shows any programming. All of the others are black.

Yeah, I'm in Pittsburgh as well - same channels as you. So I guess its a specific problem with our KDKA channel.

I live west of the burgh in Ohio. I have 25 added. But that is how it is listed, as channel 25. The only time KDKA shows up is when I bring my guide up. Thew others I get map to the correct number mostly, except 22 and 13.

I have a similar problem here in Sacramento. If I scan for all local digital stations, all of them appear (3, 6, 10, 13, 31, 40, & 58 plus some Spanish language channels). When I select all of them to 'Save,' they all show up in the All Sub list. I can then add them to my favorites list. So far, so good.

The problem is with Channel 6, our local PBS affiliate. It is broadcasting on 06-1, 06-2, 06-3, and 06-4. Once I select anyone of the 06-x stations, it comes in just fine. However, if I flip down/up to the nearest station (3 or 10), Channel 6 just drops out of the system completely! I have to go back and manually add it in. If I then tune to it again, same-o same-o.

Anyone else observe this or a similar bizarre and concerning phenomena? TIA!

Cheeky Monkey said:
I have a similar problem here in Sacramento. If I scan for all local digital stations, all of them appear (3, 6, 10, 13, 31, 40, & 58 plus some Spanish language channels). When I select all of them to 'Save,' they all show up in the All Sub list. I can then add them to my favorites list. So far, so good.

The problem is with Channel 6, our local PBS affiliate. It is broadcasting on 06-1, 06-2, 06-3, and 06-4. Once I select anyone of the 06-x stations, it comes in just fine. However, if I flip down/up to the nearest station (3 or 10), Channel 6 just drops out of the system completely! I have to go back and manually add it in. If I then tune to it again, same-o same-o.

Anyone else observe this or a similar bizarre and concerning phenomena? TIA!

It may be a issue with how their are transmitting their PSIP data... it is gone completely, or does it revert to it's actual frequency... next time it disappears, check to see if it has jumped to channel 53 in the guide.

It just goes away completely. I talked with Dish tech and it appears that it's a known problem with the 811. They vaguely hinted at a s/w release scheduled for late Jul/early Aug that may or may not fix the problem.

I've never had this problem and my 811 is December 2003 vintage. However, if you work on your OTA antenna setup to reduce multi-path and increase signal strength, you will probably encounter fewer episodes of these types of events. I have a very recent story in that regard, but it is too long and complicated to attempt to relay here. It is posted on 7/18/04 at: <http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168587&perpage=20&pagenumber=8>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)