Career change into Satellite Comm

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

marco916

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Sacramento
Hey guys and gals “if any I think it’s mostly guys on Satelliteguys”. I was thinking of changing my career field from Computer Analyst to something in Satellite Communications, and I know some of you already work in the field and maybe can give me some suggestions on what to do, or aim for, Satellites, communications, interests me very much, but I’m not sure which way to go, I do have a Cisco CCNA and CompTIA A+ certs, but those are old now, my current job is getting little stale. Talking to one of the Cisco engineers in my group, he didn’t really know of any Satellite related fields I could get into on the networking side since my company is strictly Healthcare, he wasn’t really sure if Cisco even made Satellite equipment for networking. I wouldn’t mind working for a TV station as communication engineer or even government, I live close to Beale AFB, home of the U2 spy planes, I tried to look at what Raytheon “government contractor” has to offer at the base, but most of those jobs you have to have an already working security clearance, “any insiders at Raytheon BTW” But I think I need to work on my schooling side first with getting to know about fundamentals of Satellite communications. What’s the future hold for Satellite communications, it seems to be an ever growing field. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

In my totally unenlightened opinion, the satellite communications field doesn't sound easy to get into. That is, unless you want to be a pizza dish TV installer, satellite internet installer or credit card terminal installer.

If you want to be harvesting feeds, or that kind of thing, that narrows things down. What kind of places do that job? TV station, Radio station, Cable TV provider. Then there's the holy grail, uplinking to satellites. Where do they do that? Larger TV stations, trucks that do live SNG and content providers & distributors.

What kind of environment do you want to work in? In an office? Outdoors? Would you relocate in order to do this?

For grins, I sent off to Blonder Tongue for some reference material. On their web site, they talk about training and literature. You can get the literature (catalog and reference guide) for free. The training isn't extremely pricey, and you could go to get some contacts and find out what kind of stuff people doing that might do.

Don't want to discourage you, but I like to be realistic. Frankly, it sounds like another sort of field like the one that you are in currently.

:angel:Good luck.:angel:

thanks

Thanks for that info Quaphharry, yea i want to get into something more then just installing dishes, didn't know where to start looking or investing my time and money into carrer wise. I think that site might help steer me in the right direction.

:up

In my totally unenlightened opinion, the satellite communications field doesn't sound easy to get into. That is, unless you want to be a pizza dish TV installer, satellite internet installer or credit card terminal installer.

If you want to be harvesting feeds, or that kind of thing, that narrows things down. What kind of places do that job? TV station, Radio station, Cable TV provider. Then there's the holy grail, uplinking to satellites. Where do they do that? Larger TV stations, trucks that do live SNG and content providers & distributors.

What kind of environment do you want to work in? In an office? Outdoors? Would you relocate in order to do this?

For grins, I sent off to Blonder Tongue for some reference material. On their web site, they talk about training and literature. You can get the literature (catalog and reference guide) for free. The training isn't extremely pricey, and you could go to get some contacts and find out what kind of stuff people doing that might do.

Don't want to discourage you, but I like to be realistic. Frankly, it sounds like another sort of field like the one that you are in currently.

:angel:Good luck.:angel:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)