Cartoon Network HD

I always flip down on Food, HGTV, History or A&E if it's stretched. I would rather watch blurry, overcompressed SD poorly upconverted than stretch-o-vision.

History, A&E and Bio are also using standard stretch, not Stretch-O-Vision.

Neither of my TVs have the capability to convert 16x9 to 4x3. I can convert all sorts of things but not a 16x9 signal to 4x3, and form my experience looking at TVs before I bought these last year, very few do. None of the "finalists" on my search did. For the record, Toshiba 32" LCD and Hitchi 42" Plasma

Now what I could do is hook up my TV through tV2 on the NTSC RF output thus negating the whole reason for HD TV and use the anamorphioc mode on the receiver and then tell the TV NOT to stretch the squished 4x3 picture and it would look normal... Or, I could try and send a message to the station by NOT WATCHING THEIR COMMERCIALS (or programs).

See ya
Tony

How hard do you think it would be to really upconvert cartoons the way Animania does? The way Animania does Mr. Magoo, Pink Panther, etc. looks (hmm.. looked) was very nice.

I wish they could do something like this to all the old cartoons on Boomerang and make that available in HD as well.

Those old Animania cartoons were all theatrical cartoons. They probably made real HD film transfers. I don't think they were upconverts.

I'm betting the Boomerang library is on video. I can't imagine Hanna Barbera kept pristine film masters of Penelope Pitstop.

History, A&E and Bio are also using standard stretch, not Stretch-O-Vision.
Stretch-o-vision is not a trade-mark for TNT. It is any channel that stretches their programming so that MORONS who do not know how to use the "wide" feature on their TVs don't have to hit the button to get rid of what some feel are "annoying" black bars.

A&E Networks, HGTV, DIY, TBS, TNT all use different types of stretch-o-vision. None of which are acceptable. TNT and TBS have the scaled stretch-o-vision that is irreprable.

See ya
Tony

Neither of my TVs have the capability to convert 16x9 to 4x3. I can convert all sorts of things but not a 16x9 signal to 4x3, and form my experience looking at TVs before I bought these last year, very few do.

That's really weird. I have a cheap-ass Vizio. You can choose 4:3 or 16:9 on any source, including S-Vid or Composite. In fact, when I first got HD and didn't have a way to record DVDs, I made some true animorphic S-VHS tapes.

What do you do with 4:3 DVDs? Do you have to manually change the aspect ratio in the player? Or is it that MY DVD player doesn't automatically pillarbox?

Stretch-o-vision is not a trade-mark for TNT. It is any channel that stretches their programming so that MORONS who do not know how to use the "wide" feature on their TVs don't have to hit the button to get rid of what some feel are "annoying" black bars.

A&E Networks, HGTV, DIY, TBS, TNT all use different types of stretch-o-vision. None of which are acceptable. TNT and TBS have the scaled stretch-o-vision that is irreprable.

Stretch-O-Vision is what WE call FlexView. It was what TNT/TBS used. But now Food and HGTV have FlexView.

But Turner has stopped using it as far as I can see. They use a standard Pixel Aspect Ratio change now. Actually, I've never confirmed that TNT stopped using it, because I never watch it and the few times I've checked, it's been in actual HD. But I haven't seen TBS use it in a while.

Again, I never watch A&E networks, but when I've spot checked it recently, it's been a standard PAR stretch.

HGTV/Food are the ONLY channels I can't correct the PAR on, because they DO use FlexView.

There might be other scaling systems similar to FlexView- I would also consider those "Stretch-O-Vision". But I haven't seen anyone else use scaling systems. Perhaps A&E did, but it doesn't appear to use it now. It's just a standard PAR switch.

BTW...I would consider Discovery to be the worst offender now. Discovery is chopping off the top and bottom of the picture, which is absolutely the most destructive to the picture. But the end result LOOKS better than stretching, so people seem to be more forgiving.

Neither of my TVs have the capability to convert 16x9 to 4x3. I can convert all sorts of things but not a 16x9 signal to 4x3, and form my experience looking at TVs before I bought these last year, very few do. None of the "finalists" on my search did. For the record, Toshiba 32" LCD and Hitchi 42" Plasma

Neither do most (any?) Panasonics. And anyway, why I should have to dig out my TV remote and change the aspect ratio on a channel-by-channel basis?

I'd still like E* to add a couple of more Format modes, one to squeeze a strectched 16:9 back to 4:3 (won't work on all stretches though), and one to stretch a stretched letterboxed (i.e. 16:9 source downconverted to letterboxed 4:3 and then stretched horizontally-only by the network to 16:9, easily the most annoying thing ever seen) vertically back to full 16:9.

What do you do with 4:3 DVDs? Do you have to manually change the aspect ratio in the player? Or is it that MY DVD player doesn't automatically pillarbox?

My TVs (as well as most 16x9) sets can take 4x3 imnages and scale them to 16x9, stretch them to 16x9, partrial zoom, full zoom, move zoomed images up and down, ETC. So most TVs can take letterbox 4x3 (which would appear "window boxed" on a 16x9 TV and zoom it to fill the screen, or to the IDIOTIC thing that A&E does and stretch it to the sides leaving the black bars.

What most TVs can't do is take an image that sees as a 16x9 HD picture and sqeeze it back down to what would be anamorphic.

See ya
Tony

Stretch-O-Vision is what WE call FlexView. It was what TNT/TBS used. But now Food and HGTV have FlexView.

I think you were usign the "royal" WE on that statement.
Use whatever definition you want. However, be aware that words mean what most people want it to mean. Right now you have an up hill battle. The consensus is, Streth-o-vision = any pre-stretched picture from any channel in any form.

You can either accept that, or correct every single person that posts and then have this conversation again and again and again. :)

See ya
Tony

EKB Aspect Ratio Page

My TVs (as well as most 16x9) sets can take 4x3 imnages and scale them to 16x9, stretch them to 16x9, partrial zoom, full zoom, move zoomed images up and down, ETC.

That's not what I meant. On MY DVD player and MY TV, if you have a 4:3 DVD, I need to switch my TV to 4:3 mode, otherwise it's "stretched". It's exactly the same situation as the TBS/A&E channels. I just switch to 4:3 mode.

Let's word the question another way. What happens when you feed a VHS machine into your TV? Is it automatically stretched? Is every 4:3 source automatically ruined?

What most TVs can't do is take an image that sees as a 16x9 HD picture and sqeeze it back down to what would be anamorphic.

I just find that bizarre. I guess next time I shop for a TV, I need to make sure it has a 4:3 mode. It SHOULD be a standard setting.

I think you were usign the "royal" WE on that statement.
Use whatever definition you want. However, be aware that words mean what most people want it to mean. Right now you have an up hill battle. The consensus is, Streth-o-vision = any pre-stretched picture from any channel in any form.

I'm not the only me in that we, but whatever. I do believe there should be differentiation between FlexView and a PAR switch. One is destructive to the picture permanantly, and one is not. Even if your TV won't switch it back, the information is all intact. I can watch a channel with a PAR switch on a 4:3 TV, and the picture would be fine, but not with FlexView. I could make a perfect 4:3 DVD from a program off TBS, but not off Food Network.

No one should be screwing with the picture at all, but at least Turner made a step in the right direction.

As far as handling 4:3 programming...from worst to best IMO.

FlexView (Food/HGTV)- Looks awful, permanently destructive.

TIE: Zoom (Discovery)- Looks good, permanently destructive.

TIE: PAR Switch (Turner/A&E)- Looks awful, CAN be corrected.

Logo Bars (Hallmark/most sports channels)- Non destructive, looks fine, distracting.

Pillarboxing AKA "Leave It Alone" (Universal/Disney)- As it should be.

You can either accept that, or correct every single person that posts and then have this conversation again and again and again. :)

Gee, does ANYTHING else ever happen on this board? It's the same 5 stupid conversations over and over. :D Fine, I will specify between FlexView and PAR Switch from now on...not that anybody will understand or care.

BTW...I heard from a bunch of people on this board everything will HAVE to be in HD after February, so, you know...this argument will be a mute point after we loose all the SD channels. BTW...we should also support A-La-Carte so we could just get one HBO channel for $2 instead of being forced to pay $14 for 7 channels.

You need to update that page. (I'm assuming it's yours, since I know you do the channel chart...THANK YOU for that BTW...you don't get enough credit for keeping on top of that...and this page has a lot of great stuff on it as well.)

My whole point was, Turner is...as far as I can tell...no longer using FlexView/scaling/whatever you want to call it. But Food/HGTV are. Maybe I'm wrong...I really rarely watch TNT/TBS. I do watch Cartoon Network though (to get back on topic) and it definitely does NOT use Flexview/scaling.

BTW...for your "bars all around" section, I've got some screenshots from the Phoenix CW that will blow your mind. They've decided to letterbox their HD channel for use on the SD channel during primetime. The result is that most promos/ads are pillarboxed 4:3 INSIDE a letterbox INSIDE another pillarbox. And every once in a while, you will get a letterbox in a pillarbox in a letterbox in a pillarbox! :eek:

Oh, and on top of all that, their channel bugs (yes, there are sometimes 2) are in the 4:3 position...which means they are floating closer to the middle of the screen than the corners.

BTW...I heard from a bunch of people on this board everything will HAVE to be in HD after February, so, you know...this argument will be a mute point after we loose all the SD channels.

I hope you were being sarcastic - Feb 2009 has nothing to do with HD.

Amen to that. Everyone wants instant gratification............ sigh, I feel like an old fart. :eek:
Well, it took eight years for the Big Three networks to go totally color. So, I'd say HD is doing pretty well.

I hope you were being sarcastic - Feb 2009 has nothing to do with HD.

He was only showing me other misinformation that gets posted over and over again. He knows feb 2009 is the cut off date for analog broadcasts and has nothing to do with HD over the air... only digital is mandated, not HD.

He also posted another often misused word "mute" instead of the correct word "moot" in order to illustrate his point. Both were quite funny! :)

We should all except this affect on people. Incorrect uses of words effect others. We should just except misuses of words when posters are on there soap box. Their is no need to point out there miss steaks no matter how silly :)

See ya
Tony

hmmm i remember replying to this but i don see my reply. :O ive seen mr men show on cartoon network in HD. i also saw some ass cartoon on adult swim and it was in HD too. the other cartoons were stretched. my olevia lcd does not have the option to make 16x9 into 4x3 but the magnavox plasma in the living room does.

I don't get why all the bitching... some shows aren't in HD but that said the channel looks 100x better than it ever did. I can actually tolerate watching the programs. While they may not be in hd at least they look good... that's all I give a damn about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)