CBC Anik F1R at 107.3°W Scrambled?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am willing to bet that the people at CBC didn't realize that their signal was clear until they read it at Rick's :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:.

They already had a number of CBC affiliates already encrypted on C Band, before they did these ones. It's becoming an issue up here, because the CRTC had people put in submissions about the loss of 600 CBC OTA transmitters. Once the submission period had ended, then they encrypted their signals. Smells like a deal, to keep the Cable and Satellite providers happy, at the expense of the taxpayers.

I am willing to bet that the people at CBC didn't realize that their signal was clear until they read it at Rick's :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:.

No, a CBC representative on another forum said pretty much from day one they planned to encrypt them. It was only a matter of time.

- Trip

tripinva said:
No, a CBC representative on another forum said pretty much from day one they planned to encrypt them. It was only a matter of time.

- Trip

Bazinga!

Guys, I was being sarcastic. I can't remember how long they were clear but it surprised me that they lasted as long as they did. As for their programing, I only watched the CBC for Red Green and the NHL. Now that both are gone the encryption means nothing to me.

I enjoyed Rick Mercer Reports and Marketplace programs pretty regularly and will miss them.

The Nature of Things with David Suzuki and Republic of Doyle, I watched now and again.

I remembered reading awhile ago CBC was only temporary ITC and tried not to get too attached.

CBC News is available for free on my ROKU box streaming from my WIFI. Although that's not as exciting as receiving it via satellite.

Well so far I'm impressed, I phoned Shaw at 1 888 782 7602 and got straight through to a rep. and asked about the Local Television Satellite Service, she asked me a few questions.
Had I had satellite, cable or IPTV during the past 90 days?
What channels had I lost and when?
Name and address
My email address to which she immediately sent the paper work already partially filled in for my revue and signature.
Once Shaw receive the completed paperwork and revues it they will send out the receiver programmed with 5 channels (I used to get 2 sort off).
After I receive it I have to book an appointment with the installer who will supply the rest of the gear, all free and yours to keep if you cancel although if I understand correctly the service is only good for 5 years after that ???
Not a bad deal for us Canucks although the service should be lifetime to be a true replacement for OTA, I'm sorry it leaves our friends south of the border out in the cold.

Well so far I'm impressed, I phoned Shaw at 1 888 782 7602 and got straight through to a rep. and asked about the Local Television Satellite Service, she asked me a few questions.
Name and address
My email address to which she immediately sent the paper work already partially filled in for my revue and signature.
Once Shaw receive the completed paperwork and revues it they will send out the receiver programmed with 5 channels (I used to get 2 sort off).
After I receive it I have to book an appointment with the installer who will supply the rest of the gear, all free and yours to keep if you cancel although if I understand correctly the service is only good for 5 years after that ???
Not a bad deal for us Canucks although the service should be lifetime to be a true replacement for OTA, I'm sorry it leaves our friends south of the border out in the cold.

Did the rep advise you it was only for 5 years?

You're right. It's not a bad deal. It's a terrible deal.

I hear you don't even get the HD feed of CBC. You might as well not even get it all as standard definition is unwatchable.

I must say I've learned a lot reading this thread...All I can say we in the states thought our service providers stunk, I'm almost tickled for the 43 OTA channels I do receive. Add to that the FTA and well I guess we're in hog heaven. At least with PBS, since I guess some of our tax dollars here fund it, it's available most places. I can't imagine my taxes paying to fund a broadcast source that I couldn't see on my Tv.

Couple of years ago they tried to tell local broadcasters to turn off their antenna and go through pay tv providers. The local tv station owners told them that if they went to a pay tv format then people wouldn't have access to local weather radar. So in a way they are trying to do he same down here.

Dan Rose

Name and address

Terribly nice some Canadians receive the benevolence of Shaw as they avail their product for free just to get people started, an old system used by a few other organizations. That still doesn't address the issue that Canadians cannot access the benefit of their compulsory tax dollars at work without involving a third party because some of those tax dollars go into the coffers of Murdoch and his empire including Fox network and the British tabloid press. Some of us try not to support the likes of Murdoch; doing so without choice through our government is doubly repugnant.

I'm missing the connection between Shaw Direct supplying free TV to Canadians and Rupert Murdoch.

CBC uses Videoguard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VideoGuard), owned in large part by News Corporation, in turn owned by Murdoch.

No encryption, no need for Murdoch, no need for third party involvement, Canadians would pay less for the transmission and not have to ask permission to view what they funded.

Last edited:
The CBC now uses Scientific Atlanta conditional access. Scientific Atlanta is owned by Cisco.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)