CBC Anik F1R at 107.3°W Scrambled?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The CBC now uses Scientific Atlanta conditional access. Scientific Atlanta is owned by Cisco.

I see News Corp sold NDS (VideoGuard) to Cisco for 5 billion dollars earlier this year. Now there is just the matter of paying for encrypting the signal so Canadians have to deal through privately held corporations for access. Why? What is the benefit to the Canadian taxpayer already funding the network and the encryption?

Elsewhere, a while ago, it was written on a forum that the CBC does not have distribution rights in the U.S. for some of its programming. Since the C-band signal is receivable in the U.S., this is a reason for encryption. Other than this, I too don't see the reason for encryption to protect what is available for free for the majority of Canadians anyway.

Presumably local border stations want viewers to see CBC only via these licenced outlets whether OTA or via cable so local commercials "must be viewed". This is a joke since commercial watching is a novelty of the past with the invention of the DVR. I personally don't know anybody who watches live TV since live doesn't fit their busy schedules. But the idea of encryption probably sounds good when salesmen are trying to sell air time to potential sponsors.

Elsewhere, a while ago, it was written on a forum that the CBC does not have distribution rights in the U.S. for some of its programming. Since the C-band signal is receivable in the U.S., this is a reason for encryption. Other than this, I too don't see the reason for encryption to protect what is available for free for the majority of Canadians anyway.

In other words...you're saying CBC doesnt want Americans to view its programming so they encrypted it knowing it would affect all Canadians in the process? I dont care how ignorant some bureaucrates can be, no one is this dumb. Again, as Ive previously stated, considering its a crown corporation, all Canadians should have 24/7 access to it free.

Unfortunately OTA/FTA is a small niche community...even if we all protested it, we'd be a small number the government wouldnt care.

Cheers, K

Not my words: I'm only repeating what somebody who claimed to be near the authority said. In fact, it was on that other board which you know, Kraven, which I left in frustration due to their moderators thinking they were born to re-edit and watch over every word that participants wrote. It's not that CBC don't want Americans to watch; it's that they haven't paid for distribution rights to that audience. Presumably giving free satellite service to Americans could affect their relationships with American broadcast companies with whom they have contracts to supply content inside Canada.

Stepping back a wee bit...we pay taxes everyday for services which we can't personally use and that don't directly affect us. For me, a good example is schools. This doesn't mean I don't want to pay to support schools so we get an educated society. That's how society works. Also, because a government provides a service, even if they collect taxes for it, doesn't mean they should provide that service without user fees. The best example of this is the Canadian medical system. User fees would keep everybody more honest, if we had them. There are still countries who collect mandatory fees directly from users for government broadcasters, though this is dying out. Have we strayed far enough yet from Anik F1R encryption?

Stepping back a wee bit...we pay taxes everyday for services which we can't personally use and that don't directly affect us. For me, a good example is schools. This doesn't mean I don't want to pay to support schools so we get an educated society. That's how society works. Also, because a government provides a service, even if they collect taxes for it, doesn't mean they should provide that service without user fees. The best example of this is the Canadian medical system. User fees would keep everybody more honest, if we had them. There are still countries who collect mandatory fees directly from users for government broadcasters, though this is dying out. Have we strayed far enough yet from Anik F1R encryption?

With the ever so subtle difference we pay a premium (by way of paying for encryption) to ensure we can't get the tax provided service. Then there is also the matter that the government isn't charging or benefiting from the collected fees; that goes entirely to large corporations. On the other hand, I do agree that fees are a way to discourage people from using a service unnecessarily, in this case CBC.

I work in the BDU industry (and no not for shaw) from a regulatory perspective. When negotiating contracts for carriage with networks, they will often require that we have a certain level of encryption available and/or DRM schemes to ensure that their channel or even certain programming on the channel can not be recorded more than once. If we don't have it in place, we don't get the channel. I am not privy to what contracts the CBC has with their producers, but it would not be unusual that a producer have the caveat to encrypt in a contract for carriage.

The signal seems to be quite available in the U.S. anyway as listed under 'Border audiences' at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC_Television

It appears to be available both OTA and by cable to millions of Americans.

those providers are picking up the station OTA in most cases. If you look at the cities that carry it it is mainly border cities or close to it. I think the furthest south it is available OTA or on cable (as in miles from the border...not actual latitude) is in Alexandria, MN. They have a viewer supported UHF setup that is mainly just the networks from Minneapolis (as they are a good 150 miles from there) but also has some cable channels like RFDtv, Rural TV, Biz TV, MSNBC, C-span, Familynet and yes even the CBC. I think its the old "CBC North" version

looks like they updated their site finally
http://selectivetv.org/Channel_Line-Up.html

I work in the BDU industry (and no not for shaw) from a regulatory perspective. When negotiating contracts for carriage with networks, they will often require that we have a certain level of encryption available and/or DRM schemes to ensure that their channel or even certain programming on the channel can not be recorded more than once. If we don't have it in place, we don't get the channel. I am not privy to what contracts the CBC has with their producers, but it would not be unusual that a producer have the caveat to encrypt in a contract for carriage.

There is no mention of intellectual property rights in these articles, it's all just money and the licensing requirement for all BDUs to distribute CBC signal:

"Distributors are required to distribute CBC signals on a priority basis and Canadians already pay for the distribution of CBC signals through their taxes, adds the company (Rogers)." -

http://www.cartt.ca/news/FullStory.cfm?NewsNo=14442&category=Radio-Television&title=CBC-Radio-Canada-Fee-for-carriage-pitch-CBC-digital-slammed-citizens-make-themselves-heard-too

"In a delicious follow-the-money case study, BCE Inc., which owns Bell Media, originally sided with the other distributors. Then it snapped up CTV and promptly changed its position on the matter. And everyone seems to have forgotten that the original justification for changing the system – that the broadcasters were in danger of dying – is no longer the case: Revenues are back up, as are profit margins."

"It could be even uglier up here, where Bell-owned CTV might snub a perfectly reasonable offer from the BDUs and then roll out a marketing campaign playing up the fact that – whaddya’ know? – Bell’s own satellite and FIBE services is still offering the channel. Timed right – say, just before the Oscars, or the Super Bowl – it could force the cable companies to accept outrageous prices just to secure those marquee shows, rather than deal with angry mobs. Rogers and the others aren’t going to have much luck explaining to customers that they’re just trying to keep their bills low." -

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/arts/t...l-gets-its-way/article4170768/?service=mobile

"The cable industry has less flattering names for them. Things like a "tax on free TV," a "cash grab" by the networks, or "trash."" -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/tv/carriage-fees.html

Obviously, decisions are being made and completely subject to change based on financial concerns, not property rights. In these difficult negotiations the last thing CBC or the cable/satellite companies need is an absolutely free option - unscrambled distribution paid by taxes (as Rogers claims).

I would be perfectly happy if CBC went to a user fee model or more reasonably a split between viewer supported and tax. Being a Canadian I would willingly pay directly, being a low income Canadian I won't pay a third party as there is no value added for us.

Friends and reletives farther south in the US have looked for CBC (and other Canadian broadcasters/News) and the only thing available is via the internet. They all have fairly good internet bandwidth available so that works out well (now). I don't think cable companies in the US are really interested in carrying Canadian programming except for the "border" areas, as most Americans are not likely that interested in it either.
It's just the idea that most Canadians that live in rural or remote areas have to pay Shaw or Bell for what the urban majority gets for free. It would make sense for the satellite broadcasters to have a subscription for the cost of installation and equipment only for locally sourced broadcasts (local stations), as opposed to that two month LTSS thing...
-C.

Well the receiver from Shaw arrived a refurbished Motorola DSR505 with UHF remote, it would have been here a few days ago if the courier hadn't got lost. After it arrived i had to call Shaw back and the installer is supposed to be here next Wednesday, it could get interesting he won't be able to get signal on the house but will have to install on a tree 150-200ft away, I don't know if he will be willing to do that.

That is exactly what is about to happen with Shaw. There is an agreement, in place, that Canadian local channels will be in the clear, by spring. Since the CBC has shut off over 600 repeaters, there is a need for satellite reception, in the clear, for rural area's. It is to happen, no later then June 1st, 2013.

Well the installer arrived and did his thing, I now officially get 4 local channels in SD quality which is an improvement over one good analogue channel and one very snowy one I used to get.
What they don't tell you is you get the unscrambled stuff on the Shaw satellite about 10 channels mainly promos and shopping channels but it does include the Knowledge Network from BC and CTV2 Alberta plus a couple of very basic interactive weather channel and 2 radio stations.
The was nothing to sign other that the declaration when you applied and the equipment is yours to keep although the isn't much of a warranty on the refurbished receiver.
The only potential problem with the scheme that I can see is that it only runs to the end of Shaws broadcast license which is about another 5 years, like all broadcasters in Canada their license is only good for 7 years, usually the renewal is fairly automatic but the CRTC can and usually does impose all sorts of conditions, hopefully they will require them to continue making the signal available for another 7 years. I'm also not sure what happens when the current $15 million fund for free equipment and installs runs out, will you be able to access the system if you pay for the equipment?

Well the installer arrived and did his thing, I now officially get 4 local channels in SD quality which is an improvement over one good analogue channel and one very snowy one I used to get.
What they don't tell you is you get the unscrambled stuff on the Shaw satellite about 10 channels mainly promos and shopping channels but it does include the Knowledge Network from BC and CTV2 Alberta plus a couple of very basic interactive weather channel and 2 radio stations.

what stations do you get? CBC, CTV, Global and SRC?

The other stuff is actually in zero key and any DCII receiver can get them. I know of CKUA (Alberta) as one of the radio stations...what is the other one?

The other stuff is actually in zero key and any DCII receiver can get them. I know of CKUA (Alberta) as one of the radio stations...what is the other one?

Its the old Access Alberta channel that is now known as CTV2 Alberta. You get all three of the major networks, plus the zero key stuff. I have it for the lake, where we only had CTV/CBC, but nkw also get Global which is a bonus .

Prince could you post a link to this agreement or PM me? I have heard of it's existance but never actually have seen it. My MP would be interested in keeping an eye out for any updates or movment that might occour because of it. Tnx..
-C.

That is exactly what is about to happen with Shaw. There is an agreement, in place, that Canadian local channels will be in the clear, by spring. Since the CBC has shut off over 600 repeaters, there is a need for satellite reception, in the clear, for rural area's. It is to happen, no later then June 1st, 2013.

58 CBC Halifax
60 Global Maritimes
61 CTV Atlantic
62 CTV Atlantic 2 also known as ASN I think
I believe I'm supposed to get SRC as well but since it's french language I haven't gone looking for it yet, if I knew the channel number I could check

I know of CKUA (Alberta) as one of the radio stations...what is the other one?

I get 492 CKUA and 288 AMI Audio sounds like it could be a talking book service for the blind I've only listened to a few minutes

These are the other channels
2. Shaw Barker Channel
9. The Knowledge Channel (BC publicly funded)
23. CTV2 (Alberta)
94. The Shopping Channel
105. Shaw's interactive weather channel
290. BC legislature
299. Shaw Barker Channel (same as 2)
739. Shaw's interactive weather channel (same as 105)

Now for the bad news, I've got a problem with the audio quality, I think I better start another thread.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)