CBS-HD Issues

CJPC

Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 27, 2004
Well figured wouldnt hurt to get one extra channel , called dish about getting it (im in the heart of boston, pick up only bostons signals w/ a OTA antenna)

They said that im not eligible , and i need a HD waiver from WPRI

http://www.wpri.com/

Now, im wondering why they want one from there, as they = providence/new bedford = over 2 hrs away, and I cant get a signal from there

Anyone got any ideas on a pain-free way to hopefully get a waiver? (im gonna give em a ring/email and ask for a waiver)
Thanks
CJ

CJPC said:
Well figured wouldnt hurt to get one extra channel , called dish about getting it (im in the heart of boston, pick up only bostons signals w/ a OTA antenna)

They said that im not eligible , and i need a HD waiver from WPRI

http://www.wpri.com/

Now, im wondering why they want one from there, as they = providence/new bedford = over 2 hrs away, and I cant get a signal from there

Anyone got any ideas on a pain-free way to hopefully get a waiver? (im gonna give em a ring/email and ask for a waiver)
Thanks
CJ

CJ,

The reason is the government setup and approved Network affiliation business model. The current system of networks and affiliates was setup over 40 years ago.

The country was carved up into individual markets and each local affliate was given MONOPOLY power for its affiliation. This means if your address is in a designated specific market then those specific affiliates are guaranteed that you will or can only get their network affiliated and syndicated programing from them.

It doesn't matter if you can't get a reasonable signal from that affiliate. The Boundaries have been drawn and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you can get your affiliate to release your address through a waiver (FAT CHANCE).

Most affiliates will NOT release addresses or grant waivers regardless, even if you can prove you can't get their signal. The business model is outdated and should be scrapped but the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) is a huge powerful Lobby that will not allow it to happen.

If you can't get a waiver or a local digital HD signal then you are SOL, sorry but that is the way it is.

John

John, Good Explanation, but.....

John,

I understand your very good explanation, and have personally had zip luck in getting a waiver for locals in HD. The part that still doesn't make sense to me is that prior to going over to Comcast (since it was the only way I could get locals in HD), my Dish Network service included all of the locals. Why were they allowed to provide me with locals in non-HD, but said I needed a waiver for locals in HD?

Edit: just realized that I thought the two posts about HD were not from the same guy. So I assumed gepaine was the OP posting again about Boston. I have no clue where gpaine is.
end edit

cause your locals are not broadcast in HD over the satellite. Only CBS is and it is a NY or LA feed which are not local to you so in essence you would not be watching all the quality advertising directed to your area over your local affiliate.

I'm sure your local affiliates would provide the HD feeds if Dish had capacity to broadcast them, but they don't right now.

Your waivers you applied for are not for HD locals. they are for Distant stations from other cities. I have only had one waiver approved and I don't know why I think they missed it and time lapsed and I got a waiver for Fox distants from other cities so now I get all their local programming and advertising, but this is NOT in HD. I get my fox HD OTA.

Ok, hate to bump and old thread, forgot about it kinda, and thx on your explanations, but i kinda already knew it all (did lotsa reading!)

Anywho, got my waiver a few days later, faxed it over to DN yesterday, called today, they of course cant find it, and it doesnt help noone understands english (they can speak, but cant understand!), anywho, they told me to call back in 2 days, so now I wait!

sounds like you got the india call center ( god I wish that they would close that place as has been rumuored for the last year) so call back and ask to talk to someone in the executive office and you should be able to get things better resolved.

Monopoly? Hell, no. It is simple COPYRIGHT law. Same if you have a McDonalds and someone else tries to put one across the street. You have the exclusive franchise.

Yeah, I seem to always get the india call office, if i call as an existing customer, but if i call from my non land line phone, I end up gettin good ole english understanding americans! And ya, it would be nice if they closed it , or atleast teached CSR's what 'i sent the waiver' meant.

JohnL said:
The reason is the government setup and approved Network affiliation business model.
Actually the model was setup by the networks themselves. And as they own the copyrights to the programming, they are well within there rights to distribute as they see fit. The government had nothing to do with it.

Well just if anyone wants to know, got CBS-HD turned on last nite, just 'showed' up in my guide... Now if only there was something good to watch on CBS ;)

(and I cant stand CSI, its a good show, but too fake! crime scene people running around shooting and interrogating people!)

Yeah, well im a L&O fan, love it!

CSI isnt bad at all, good show, but the idea that the CSI does everything just kills me.

Dont get me wrong, its a good show, but im spoiled by the 'reality' of L+O, you dont see the ME doing labwork, then arresting the guy, and interrogating him till he cracks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)